Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2016 1:56:07 AM EDT
I am liking into buying a carbide burr to clip my baffles and am wondering if there is an optimal size for the clip. My bore will be 7/16 I could go as large as a 7/16 clip but I don't want to over do it and negatively affect performance.

Also what do you guys think about clipping on one side of the cone and cutting a slot on the other at a 45* angle? Is there a rule of thumb for that? Should it be done on every baffle? Does it really help create turbulence between baffles? I'm building a can with 7 baffles. How many should I slot?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]
1 clip - of fairly large size - seems quite common in the industry.  My AAC can is built that way.

2 equally sized clips opposite each other, apparently tend to cancel each other out from what I've read on the web - and it would explain why 1 clip is common (but not 2).

3 equi-distant clips?  Dunno but would appear to have potential.  Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:54:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Here are some industry clips, you can decide.

Rugged Obsidian 45

Surge & Razor

Octane 45

Specwar and Saker

Dead Air Sandman

Good read on the topic here.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always heard 1/2 the surface area of the bore, whether that be a u-shape, a square cut, or a thin slot made no difference.

It also largely depends on what type of baffle and what caliber/ pressure round being suppressed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Disregard, found it, Thank you
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

This is the new hotness, the DHC. You can read all about the different clips here
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I just went with the single clip on my Ronin Pro can for my 300 Blackout subsonic only can. I originally just punched the single 30 cal hole in the baffle, but thought it was louder then my YHM 30 cal stainless can. I probably went a little small on the dia of endmill, but I figured I can always open it up more if I needed to later. It sounds much better then before but I will probably go a little bit bigger later.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#8]
The DHC purportedly results in far less POA shift than unilateral clips.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#9]
muta4warrior:
You were right to go small with the intent to test and recut.
An important value would be the amount of residue on the inside of that cone and the outer of the next, resulting from the clip's effectiveness.
Take some pics of dirty baffles, in order of stacking.
Clean and cut slightly larger.
Test and observe any differences in residual markings.
Repeat, if you feel it will aid suppression w/o adversely affecting accuracy and/or bullet stability.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:The DHC purportedly results in far less POA shift than unilateral clips.
View Quote
If you meant to say"The DHC reportedly results in far less POI shift than asymmetric clips.", then I agree with you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top