Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2016 2:32:11 PM EDT
I should be getting my form 1 back soon for my .30 build. Trying to get my game plan and need advice on ti or steel tube from sdta. It's going to be a griffin adapter and a welded 17-4 core with the griffin adapter welded onto rear of tube and front cap threaded and not welded. I'd like to save weight with a ti adapter, tube, and end cap but is the sdta ti tube strong enough for 300wm with a welded core? My research says yes but trying to plan right. Oh and tube would be 9.6".
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
No one huh... no problem I'll figure it out for myself.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:00:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I created a Google docs formula sheet a last year or the year before to help with the design of form 1 cans.  Posted the link here I think, will try and find it tomorrow and post it again.

You have to know the pressure you're working with for the round, and material strengths, but the sheet had all the forum last you'd need to approximate a safe tube diameter, length, and wall thickness.  Keep the thread depth in mind when accounting for wall thickness.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#3]
It's hard to answer your only question, to which you give no specifics.
Quoted: is the sdta ti tube strong enough for 300wm with a welded core?
View Quote

What is the wall thickness of this core?
What is the volume of your blast chamber?
Blast baffle design?
Barrel length?
Approximate muzzle pressure?

There are 300WM rated cans that are all Aluminum so SS and Ti  are obviously up to the task, but the devil is in the details.
You should be gtg, as 17-4 is the strongest, by far, out of the materials you've listed.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Wall thickness can be anything needed and have not figured that out yet
Blast chamber is going to be about 2.5 by 1.300.
Baffle design will be a modified cone baffle.
Barrel is 26".
Not sure on muzzle pressure yet.

My only concern was the threaded cap in the back but if it's welded to the outer tube with a fully welded core slipping in the end. The only week point would be the end cap threaded on which would be for serviceability but seeing as it's a welded core and legally I can recore it and or clean the core vary easy I suppose I could weld the end cap on too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
So went through some big changes on design.

Need to know if this is possible or not?

Got a DM 1.625 by 9.5 tube in grade 9 ti with ti end cap and asr adapter.

Going to run zmachine ti 60 degree cones since I am not setup to lathe ti. I would sleeve the blast chamber with a thicker ti sleeve than spacer tube is. Would this be enough to hold up to 300wm or should I swap out the first cone for stainless? I could weld the whole thing together but trying not to so I can still get it apart?

Is this even possible or should I give up on a 300wm one. I would like to buy a factory 300wm some day but already got the money and stamp for this one.

I've built fully welded cans but only for 223 and I'm a bit of a redneck engineer so pardon me if I don't fully know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I'd:
sleeve the BC w/ SS (17-4 if available)
Use SS for the first 2 baffles

There's absolutely no reason to service a silencer designed for 300WM. Hence, a reason why the majority of magnum rated silencers are welded.
If you're going to weld it (to which I hope you're set up to and have welded Ti before) I would not have gotten threaded components.
The mere act of threading a tube has placed a weak point in your pressure vessel. Leaving the tube wall at full thickness is best practice, for welding.
While the weld will prevent the threads from the force of tension, it does nothing to safeguard the thinnest point of the wall (distance from OD to thread root) from stress.

Welding your core can help, but the BC needs to be factored into this as this is the area of greatest pressure.

It can be done, with the components you have.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Edit: Changed my mind, with the prices on specwar 762 I'm just going to pick one of those up and make this a lightweight 308 suppressor for hunting and other light duty 308 bolt action use. Thanks for the help.

Only reason for not welding is not so much for servicing but more for the event that there is a baffle strike I can have it fixed as long as the tube is intact but if the tube bursts then I'm pretty screwed. I'll have allot of money invested in it and have no manufacturer support as I'm the manufacturer.

Ok sounds good I might just do that. The only reason I have threaded components is because machining a asr adapter is beyond my redneck skills at this point and the parts were available from DM. I do have the equipment to weld stainless and titanium. I have welded lots of stainless but not ti yet so I'm going to get some ti to practice on. Everyone I've talked to said if I can weld stainless then ti should be pretty easy for me. We'll see I guess.

I might just build this one for 308 and start saving for a fancy factory 300 can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top