Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2016 12:03:19 AM EDT
i got the stamp about 6 weeks ago and started buying parts last week.  tube and griffin adapter should arrive tomorrow.  the tube is a 9.6" sdtac d-cell and it'll primarily live on a 10.5" ar-15 sbr.  i only have 1.5" from the front of the gas block to the beginning of the muzzle threads, so dm's reflex brake with 1.5" set back seems to be my only option for a mount.  is that extra 1.5" enough volume/blast chamber to be beneficial? how much total length should i allot for a blast chamber (1.5" + x")?  i'll be using zmachine cones, probably 1 stainless and maybe 7-8 titanium (undecided on total amount, any input is appreciated).  i'd like to use dm's coned or low profile end cap.

what say ye?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, there is no suppression advantage (as far as measurable Db reduction) to be gained from a reflex can.

What you can achieve with a reflex design is reduced back pressure / blowback into the action.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people claim a reflex design helps with sound reduction, others don't.  I read at best the volume behind the muzzle is only 20% as efficient as what is in front of the muzzle so any improvement would be marginal, especially if you go with the shortest mount DM sells.  FWIW I'm doing something kind of similar but using 2.5" mounts for two different uppers, mainly to reduce back pressure using supersonic 5.56 loads.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
i'm not looking to reduce the db compared to a traditional can, but i also don't want the performance to be worse either.  i like the idea of less blow back and it'll be that much less hanging out there.  i'm still undecided though.  i may end up running out of patience for dm's mount to come in stock and get a griffin.

my calipers say the ID of my tube is 1.385" so how much smaller should the OD of the cones be?  would 1.355" be too small?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some people claim a reflex design helps with sound reduction, others don't.  I read at best the volume behind the muzzle is only 20% as efficient as what is in front of the muzzle so any improvement would be marginal, especially if you go with the shortest mount DM sells.  FWIW I'm doing something kind of similar but using 2.5" mounts for two different uppers, mainly to reduce back pressure using supersonic 5.56 loads.
View Quote

Its hard to judge by videos but I have posted a few of my reflex shot with commercial cans.  Also in some of the 3 gun matches I have attended there have been a handful of 5.56 cans that appeared to be around 7", and I got a lot of comments about my 7.5" reflex can being quieter and it only adds 5" past the barrel.  It was also the only one of the suppressed guns that would not reliably set off the shot timer.  Reflex is about reducing overall length.  As it pertains to 5.56 guns, a 12.5" with a 2.5" DM Reflex mount and a 7.5" Can is about perfect, can goes back to the gas block, you are not giving up much much velocity to the 16" guns, and it's still about 2" shorter with the suppressor installed than most 16"s with brakes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
what diameter cones should i go with?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

i'm not looking to reduce the db compared to a traditional can, but i also don't want the performance to be worse either.  i like the idea of less blow back and it'll be that much less hanging out there.  i'm still undecided though.  i may end up running out of patience for dm's mount to come in stock and get a griffin.

my calipers say the ID of my tube is 1.385" so how much smaller should the OD of the cones be?  would 1.355" be too small?
View Quote

1.355 would be too small, look for 1.380 or maybe 1.375, 1.375 should be easy to find
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

1.355 would be too small, look for 1.380 or maybe 1.375, 1.375 should be easy to find
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i was afraid that may be the case.  zmachine has a stainless cone at 1.372", but not titanium in that size.  i really don't want to go the custom route.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
.......As it pertains to 5.56 guns, a 12.5" with a 2.5" DM Reflex mount and a 7.5" Can is about perfect, can goes back to the gas block, you are not giving up much much velocity to the 16" guns, and it's still about 2" shorter with the suppressor installed than most 16"s with brakes.....
View Quote

I am 100% agreement with this statement.

This 12.5" SBR is the quietest 5.56 semi-auto rifle I have ever heard.  With a DM 2.5" reflex and an 8" suppressor. (Only about 1" longer than a 16" carbine without a suppressor)

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
i'm doing it.  going to rebarrel the upper with most likely a ballistic advantage barrel and probably use a griffin reflex brake.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Your SDTA Ti tube will be about 1.36 ID. They vary a little but a 1.355 cone should be a good fit. The 1.385ish measument that you are getting is the minor diameter of the threads.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]
It also depends on whether or not you intend to use a muzzle brake and what you do w/ the reflex portion.
Putting a dividing plate at the end of the muzzle brake, to create 2 separate chambers, is better than just making the blast chamber bigger (by reflexing rearward).
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your SDTA Ti tube will be about 1.36 ID. They vary a little but a 1.355 cone should be a good fit. The 1.385ish measument that you are getting is the minor diameter of the threads.
View Quote

Yeah, rusty over at form 1 suppressor got me straightened out on the ID and I picked up 2 SS and 5 Ti 1.355" cones from ZmachineworX.  I just need to get them drilled and clipped. I still need the barrel, mount, and spacers, but yesterday I impulse bought an FNX-45T with RMR.  Stupid pawn shop deals...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It also depends on whether or not you intend to use a muzzle brake and what you do w/ the reflex portion.
Putting a dividing plate at the end of the muzzle brake, to create 2 separate chambers, is better than just making the blast chamber bigger (by reflexing rearward).
View Quote

Someone was telling me about using a washer in their can, I wonder if that's what it was for.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Someone was telling me about using a washer in their can, I wonder if that's what it was for.
View Quote

Most likely, I put one in mine as two chambers. I just turned a small piece of stainless and bored the hole placing it .2 In front of it with 6 .12 gas ports. Works well but to be honest it sounds the same without it.

I used a 8.5" 1.5 id ti tube fyi and it may sound different with a smaller tube or different baffles. I just turned some ti and made cups "M baffles° with a 45° cone for mine. It was my first form 1 can for center fire and it lives on a 300 blk.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Most likely, I put one in mine as two chambers. I just turned a small piece of stainless and bored the hole placing it .2 In front of it with 6 .12 gas ports. Works well but to be honest it sounds the same without it.

I used a 8.5" 1.5 id ti tube fyi and it may sound different with a smaller tube or different baffles. I just turned some ti and made cups "M baffles° with a 45° cone for mine. It was my first form 1 can for center fire and it lives on a 300 blk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really wanted a larger diameter tube, like the 1.625" tube from DM, but I got tired of waiting for some to come in stock.   And now they have some.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted: I just turned a small piece of stainless and bored the hole placing it .2 In front of it with 6 .12 gas ports. Works well but to be honest it sounds the same without it.
View All Quotes
Quoted: I just turned a small piece of stainless and bored the hole placing it .2 In front of it with 6 .12 gas ports. Works well but to be honest it sounds the same without it.

What has the holes in it? The spacer/washer/disc? Or are you describing a muzzle brake/device?

If you put the holes in the chamber separator (washer/disc), than the purpose is defeated.

Quoted: Works well but to be honest it sounds the same without it.

A true reflex will go much farther than the 1.5"-2.5" most here speak of. This dimension is more of a blast chamber extension, rather than a reflex.
This may be why you experienced no appreciable difference.

And, yes, you're correct that there are many variables attributed to the success of such a feature.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]
By tube was actually 11.5, thinking of the intergal 22lr I built on size.

It has a 3" blast chamber from disc rearward, 2" chamber beyond that and 6 Mbaffles. The holes in the spacer were for gas reduction due to excessive blowback on the 300blk upper. Pressure would increase and blow back into chamber after repetition and cause over gassing. I am debating on scrapping the upper and putting the can on a 700 300blk build now but haven't made up my mind. I dont feel like dropping more money on the 700 with the mods to the barrel I would have to do.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#18]
With regard to back-pressure (blowback), on gas operated semi's, I prefer to manage this with adjustable gas blocks, port sizing, and spring/buffer combos.
You can see an advantage, with suppression, when the baffles are allowed extra gas volume and pressure. The design doesn't have to work as hard to strip the gases from the bore-line.
This is one of the reasons bolt guns can see better suppression numbers than semi's. I'm not talking about metering at the shooter's ear (induced action noise), but at the muzzle.

Not saying it would be night and day, but I'm sure a solid disc (as a dividing plate) would offer greater suppression than one with holes. Especially if the gas was managed in the way I described above.
Yes, too many variables, when it comes to suppressors.
This is why I design and build per gun , I only have one Form1 that gets swapped.
I know, not always feasible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#19]
rusty from the form 1 board is going to machine the cones with his dhc clipping and make one of his new reflex mounts for the can.

edit:  i rebarreled the upper with a 12.5" ballistic advantage barrel.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:10:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

i was afraid that may be the case.  zmachine has a stainless cone at 1.372", but not titanium in that size.  i really don't want to go the custom route.
View Quote
Plenty of Ti in that size
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought 5 Ti and 2 SS cones from you a while back.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top