Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2017 12:30:24 AM EDT
Awhile ago I bought a rws 34 22 caliber.  It came with a 4x scope.  I'm using this rifle as a garden pest control.  Looking for a 2-7 or maybe a 3-9 scope.  The scope on it holds zero but does not track to a farther distance then back to its 20yd zero.  I'm surprised at the accuracy of this airgun.  New to airguns and it amazed me.   Want a scope that will track distances and then re zero.  Or should I just get a mildot scope and learn the holds.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the Hawke Airmax scopes have a reputation of good repeatability.  There are exceptions though.  However, I find that using mil-dots is generally easier and quicker as distances of my targets vary. (The half mil-dot reticle  in the Hawke Sidewinder Tactical scope is superb for hold-overs.  It is what I use on my Field Target Rifle.)

If you sight in around 30 yards, you will find that the trajectory is rather flat (enough to stay on a 1" target) somewhere between 15 and 38 yards or so.  Actual scope height and velocity will change these numbers somewhat.  To get a better idea of what your actual set-up does, I suggest downloading Chair Gun Pro from Hawke Optics.  This is free ballistics software specifically designed for airguns.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Consider that the higher the scope the worse your cheek weld will be, and too low you might still see your open sights, conundrum.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok thanks everyone.   I do a lot of shooting and have some high in scopes.  Nightforce, vortex razors etc but just didn't know what was the go to brand in airguns.  Looked at the 3-9 efr Nikon scope I can get It for like 140.  I'll look at the hawk scopes.   Ill try zeroing at 30.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I like finer reticles if possible.  Are the hawke mildot reticle thick or thinner nor usable
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like finer reticles if possible.  Are the hawke mildot reticle thick or thinner nor usable
View Quote
I have a cheaper Hawk Vantage 4-12 AO mil dot
I'd say the lines and dots are on the thinner side of the spectrum. The dots are almost hard to pick up depending on the background. It's a decent scope, but I too have NF and it's in another world of quality.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok.  Yes unrealized that these scopes are a whole different category and I'm not looking to spend a fortune by any means.  Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the Nikon scope
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the Nikon scope
View Quote
Which one are you suggesting?  Are they spring gun rated?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes air gun rated. I have 2 nikons on my RWS 34 .177 and RWS 48 .22.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog/2012/07/the-nikon-prostaff-3-9-x-40-scope-and-more-telling-on-myself.html
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the rim fire version with adjustable objective for distance. Glass is very clear and bright. AO adjusts down to 10 feet if I recall correctly. I am out of state at the moment so can't look at the 2 scopes. One may be the 2-7 scope. But both are very nice. Normally I buy Leupold scopes for my rifle but I could not justify $300 for an air rifle scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top