Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2017 12:55:48 AM EDT
Hey guys.  

I've been flirting with the idea of getting a big bore air gun.  This is basically just going to be something different for me to have, and possibly hunt with if that becomes an option here in my state.  I have been looking mostly at the Dragon Claw, due to it being 50cal and having the airbolts.  I did see at shotshow they are going to have 357 and possibly 45 bolts coming, but I figure why not go big!  Does anyone here have one?  Any thoughts on it?

Should I spend the money to get a SCBA tank and use it to fill the gun or should I just get a handpump?  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I shot the Air Force Texan.  It is a 45 cal. that iis claimed to be the most powerful "production" gun.  It can take a deer at 100 yards in the states that allow hunting with an air gun like this.

You get about 3 shots per fill before the power drops off dramatically.

You are not strong enough to use a hand pump with to fill these big guns.  A 177 run of the mill air rifle needs about 100 or more pumps to bring it up to full speed.  Pumps get progressively harder as the pressure goes up.

Think hard before deciding to pump and if you do buy, get a carbon fiber tank.  It can be filled to 4000 psi. where a Scuba averages about 3000.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#2]
put this one on your radar too

Amazon Product
  • Crossman Air rifle
  • Crosman bulldog BPBD3S multi-shot bolt action hunting Air rifle

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shot the Air Force Texan.  It is a 45 cal. that iis claimed to be the most powerful "production" gun.  It can take a deer at 100 yards in the states that allow hunting with an air gun like this.

You are not strong enough to use a hand pump with to fill these big guns.  A 177 run of the mill air rifle needs about 100 or more pumps to bring it up to full speed.  Pumps get progressively harder as the pressure goes up.

Think hard before deciding to pump and if you do buy, get a carbon fiber tank.  It can be filled to 4000 psi. where a Scuba averages about 3000.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From what I'd read it wasnt that bad, just very long winded while pumping, but I definitely could be wrong.  The only reason I mentioned SCBA vs one of the others is I can get them cheap.  I will probably go the tank route just for convienence sake.  

The state I deer hunt in isn't letting us use them for big game yet, nor will they let you use the bolts, but I'm also going to use it for predators which have 0 restrictions.

Quoted:
put this one on your radar too

www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9S3OBQ

It is.  It was originally on there as the airbow, but seeing as the Sam Yangs can shoot both, I'm leaning more that way.  Plus, they look like an awesome over under!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have easy access to filling the tanks, just plan on getting a good carbon tank. These big bore rigs would turn into a very short term affair if you try to hand pump for your practice and hunting. If you already have a hand pump, great, go ahead and use it so you can decide for yourself. But, do yourself a favor and get the tank up front.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you have easy access to filling the tanks, just plan on getting a good carbon tank. These big bore rigs would turn into a very short term affair if you try to hand pump for your practice and hunting. If you already have a hand pump, great, go ahead and use it so you can decide for yourself. But, do yourself a favor and get the tank up front.
View Quote

Sounds like there is a consensus form here LOL.

Thanks for the opinion guys!  Now if someone that has one can tell me what they like and dont like, I'll be able to pull the trigger
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:46:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Seneca 909 45 Cal Big Bore with Hawke Scope - by Airgun Expert Rick Eutsler / AirgunWeb
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]

I bet I've watched every video on these guns on youtube lol.  I'm into it.

I cant find this answer anywhere... Can you use reloading bullets in these guns?  or does it have to be an airgun bullet?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#8]
The bullets need to be short enough to load into the action.  This means that the bullets need to be pretty short.  Many muzzle loading bullets and cast pistol bullets are short enough.  You could muzzle load (I suppose) longer bullets if you wished.  My buddy and I were discussing this a while back on our drive back from the Extreme Benchrest match in AZ. However, this was for his Career .357/9mm.  It is very similar to the Sam Yang.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:11:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I picked up a recluse on gunbroker for 449 with an optic. Feel like it's a pretty good deal. Ordered some air venturi 127gr bullets off amazon. Now just need to find a tank for a dral. Can't wait to shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top