Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2017 5:23:34 PM EDT
Didn't see this posted..

Saw this video last night. .50 cal air rifle that shoots a 250gr lead bullet at over 1,000fps (700ftlbs) and a 550 over 800fps. pump action (2" pump with 2lb stroke) and three shot mag.

Running number shows that the 550gr at 875fps would have over 900 ftlbs of energy at the muzzle and still over 700 at 100 yards, even with a crappy bc of .10

NEW Umarex 50 CAL drops the Hammer! - Report at SHOT Show 2017
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It's interesting but let's see if they actually get it out on the market.  Frankly I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the new AF SS Texan, that looks very interesting and Pyramyd is already taking preorders.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
How many pumps to charge though?

Seems like PCP would be a better idea
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#3]
O.K. I just saw a cursory review of this thing.  It is a PCP touted to 300 ft-lbs and three shots at that level per fill.  The action is a pump action much like a shotgun.  That is, the pump cocks the striking hammer and loads a new bullet or pellet.  

Also of note, it will use sabots so that smaller bullets may be used with presumably higher velocity.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
It's 700 FPE with a 550gr moving around 750-800fps.

Saboted and lighter rounds like their ARX ammo will go significantly faster.

Quoted:
How many pumps to charge though?

Seems like PCP would be a better idea
View Quote

It is PCP with a unique, very high flow valve.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a fascinating idea but what worries me is it's Umarex, they don't have a great reputation for standing behind their product.   Up to now they have been known for lower quality springers for mass market, and while I applaud their new entry into the entry level PCP market with the Gauntlet, which is a really interesting gun for the price point, the Hammer is WAY out of the lane they are known for.   Again, I'll hold off until 1. it actually materializes on the market and 2.  it gets wrung out in the field and we get an idea of it's actual durability and how Umarex actually stands behind it if/when problems prop up.  

Not an AF cheerleader, I don't own any of their guns, but the SS Texan is a proven design, AF CS is top notch, and 400 FT/LBs with a shroud looks like a lot of win to me.   That will probably be my first big bore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a fascinating idea but what worries me is it's Umarex, they don't have a great reputation for standing behind their product.   Up to now they have been known for lower quality springers for mass market, and while I applaud their new entry into the entry level PCP market with the Gauntlet, which is a really interesting gun for the price point, the Hammer is WAY out of the lane they are known for.   Again, I'll hold off until 1. it actually materializes on the market and 2.  it gets wrung out in the field and we get an idea of it's actual durability and how Umarex actually stands behind it if/when problems prop up.  

Not an AF cheerleader, I don't own any of their guns, but the SS Texan is a proven design, AF CS is top notch, and 400 FT/LBs with a shroud looks like a lot of win to me.   That will probably be my first big bore.
View Quote

Besides not standing behind their products, there is the problem of getting replacement parts (non-existant) and the products tend to be designed in ways that makes disassembly  for repair impractical anyway.  Unlike Crosman products, you will probably not find aftermarket upgrade parts.  Umarex has been the Gillette of marketing:  create a cheap enough and disposable product and sell a lot of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top