Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2017 6:59:14 PM EDT
Just purchased a new RWS 22cal.  Model 34.  Never had a quality air rifle.  How do u clean the bores?  What should I do before shooting.    Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
For cleaning I just use a dry patch on a pull through. I make my pull throughs out of 50 lb test braided fishing line.  Just make a loop on one end and a big knot on the other.  Fit a patch in the loop, and  drop the knot down the bore from the breach end.  You only need to break the action open, not cock it.   Another method is to get cleaning pellets.  These are felt pellets that you shoot.  Use about three or four of these per shot with a spring gun.  I only clean the barrel after the initial cleaning when accuracy starts to deteriorate.  

Other than wiping the storage junk out of the barrel, you just need to shoot the thing.  But, never dryfire a spring gun.  Dryfiring is the fastest way to destroy the piston seal.  

After 500 to 1000 shots, you may need to lubricate the pivot points, and maybe add a drop of piston lube (RWS sells a special formulation for this).

The only other routine maintenance you will need to do is just make sure that the two stock screws that hold the front of the action near the pivot points and the rear screw are tight.  These have a propensity to loosen over time.  If these screws constantly get loose, then you may want to use blue LocTite to keep them in place.

Now get to punching some holes.  You will have a bit of a learning curve with shooting a spring airgun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  Learning curve of a spring gun? I've read where there is something to how you hold a spring gun.  What else do I need to know.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Learn the artillery hold.   Basically, you have to hold the rifle loosely to allow it to move.  More here:  Artillery Hold on Pyramyd Air
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top