Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2016 12:27:12 AM EDT
In .177cal today with open sights, what a blast. I had to crank the elevation all the way up, thought I broke it.
Once we figured out where to hold we started getting a few hits with lots of near misses. It seemed like 2 full seconds to get there. I wonder how fast they were going upon impact (chronos 850 at 5 feet) I dug a few out of the dirt and they were pretty deformed.
It sure made shooting them at 50 yards a lot easier, anyway we had fun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 1:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]
What pellet were you using?  If I knew that I could estimate the terminal velocity.  If, for example, you were using JSB Exact Heavies (10.3 gn) the velocity at 105 yards with a muzzle velocity of 850 ft/s would be about 570.  This is about what a 10 meter air rifle does and flattens pellets when striking steel backers.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 1:09:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes Sir, they were Crosman Premier 7.4 grain pointed.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't find data for that exact pellet, but given similar weight and shaped pellets, the terminal velocity would be around 300 ft/s.

You would probably do a lot better with Crosman Premier lights (7.9 domed).  The initial velocity would be a little slower, but these will not slow down nearly as quickly.  Also, domed pellets are less likely to develop spiraling than pointed.  Another thing, that seems a bit unintuitive is that domed pellets usually have a better ballistic coefficient than pointed ones as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Shot some more the other day, I think I need to use heavier pellets, any suggestions?
Also, the open sights are pretty good but I sure think it would be more fun with a scope. I've read a bunch about it and opinions are all over. I'd like a no nonsense mount, preferably one piece and a decent scope. By decent, variable not over $150 if that's possible. Suggestions appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Your choice of good pellets are:  Crosman Premier 7.9 and 10.5 grain, and JSB Exact in 8.4 and 10.34 grain. You might also try the H&N Field Target Trophies, and the RWS Superdome.  

For a scope, one of the best values for an inexpensive scope is the Centerpoint 4-16 x 42.  It has a variable objective that will focus from 5 yards to infinity. Some individual samples may exhibit some mechanical sloppiness on the ocular focus ring but can be fixed with tape or o-rings. (I have one that is sloppy and another that is sound.)

For one piece mounts, BKL is one of the better ones and can be had in a droop mount.  This is a good feature for many spring air rifles, especially with long range shooting.  100 yards is long range for a .177 air rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]
My Benjamin came with a a Center Point 3-9 X 32 and I am quite please with it, good feel to the power adjustment ring and it feels solidly built, I am quite surprised with it, I would not put it on a high power rifle, but for this .22 airgun, it does very well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking at scope mount options and reading about it. Most suggest a riser then rings or a one piece combo mount. They all appear to me to put the scope too high or higher than I think it should be. Is there a reason rings couldn't be put on top of the rail already on the rifle? I am considering a Hawk 2x7x32, what rings would that need and still not be too high? BTW the rifle was made in 2000.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I need to use heavier pellets, any suggestions?
View Quote

I use these in all my .177 rifles, they are one hole wonders...

https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Premier-Domed-Caliber-Pellet/dp/B000FEUUF6/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1489172351&sr=1-7&keywords=crossman 177 pellets&tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Cross man 10.5 grain domed in my RWS 34 .177 shoot great. I just mounted this scope yesterday.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/nikon-prostaff-target-efr-3-9x40-rifle-scope.html?_iv_code=NI-RS-6734&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CIH30ryImtMCFce2wAodgC0Exg
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I did get some Crosman 10.5 domes and they do shoot good. I haven't tried the 100 yards again yet.
Scopes, here the thing , ordered a scope and Droop Mount in case it needed it. It needed it, but the droop mount places the scope too high now. Why not redesign the barrel nut so it doesn't need it? Cheek weld is crap because scopes too high. And why don't most air rifles come with weaver rails instead of the 11mm BS.
Its like there's several design flaws that will be that way forever and if you asked why they'd say, because that's the way its always been.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top