Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2016 10:19:59 AM EDT
I'm looking for something I can shoot in my suburban backyard without pissing off the neighbors.
It would mainly be for plinking cans and teaching my daughter safety and fundamentals. Shots wouldnt be any further than 50 feet tops and probably more like 30 feet.
Would something like this daisy work and not break in a couple months?
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
IDK about the new ones, but when I was .......younger.......the red Ryder was indestructible
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Daisy Buck ftw
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IDK about the new ones, but when I was .......younger.......the red Ryder was indestructible
View Quote

My brothers and I each wore one out as we were growing up.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't see the buck. Is it similar to the red Ryder just shorter? Or am I missing something?

I haven't shot a bb gun in over 15 years...  Are these quiet enough for a small backyard?
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Airsoft Mp5 was my pick, ha. My dad shoots his Thompson M1 Airsoft gun and loves it being a WWII fan. Or maybe an airsoft Glock or 1911 pistol. I love the airsoft guns, so realistic!!
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm looking for something I can shoot in my suburban backyard without pissing off the neighbors.
It would mainly be for plinking cans and teaching my daughter safety and fundamentals. Shots wouldnt be any further than 50 feet tops and probably more like 30 feet.
Would something like this daisy work and not break in a couple months?
View Quote

How old/big/strong is your daughter? If she's a little tyke, the Red Ryder is probably a fine starter gun. You probably won't be satisfied with it, though.

I realize it's quite a step up in cost but I would suggest the Weihrauch HW30s for dad or mom (or bigger kids). It's a lifetime gun that is fully satisfying.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
She will be 6 in a few months. She's got some strength in those little arms.
I'm not expecting much out of it for myself. As long as it can hit a can from across the yard, I'm happy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't vouch for the newer once, but I have a 26 year old Red Ryder in my parent's attic that still works.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:26:13 AM EDT
[#9]
My son is about to turn 9 and the stock on the Red Ryder makes the LOP a little long for him. He has to tuck the stock under his arm to get comfortable. There is a smaller one intended for young kids that's almost like a Red Ryder, just not as nice. Can't remember the name, but they're like $15-20.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a Crosman 760 Pump. Shoot lead pellets.  They won't richochet like steel BB's

Crosman Pumpmaster 760 pink

You can just do 2 or 3 pumps and i will hardly make any noise.  

Daisy has a similar pump gun

Daisy pink Powerline model 35
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get a Crosman 760 Pump. Shoot lead pellets.  They won't richochet like steel BB's

Crosman Pumpmaster 760 pink

You can just do 2 or 3 pumps and i will hardly make any noise.  

Daisy has a similar pump gun

Daisy pink Powerline model 35
View Quote

I bought my then 5 YO the pink 760 a couple years ago.  It's actually a fun, super light, fairly accurate plinker.  The scope it comes with is a pos, I've never bothered to upgrade it.  We can easily hit crackers and silly string at 50'+.

I picked up a Gamo break barrel, but have struggled to get any reliable zero even after trying multiple scope configurations. It seems to like heavy (10+grain) target pellets which also helps stay below sound barrier speeds and being obnoxiously loud.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with a Daisy pump. I don't know that the cheap crosman air rifles actually have a rifled bore, but the Daisy's do.

The Daisy's are damn accurate too. As recommended above, a few pumps and it's nice and quiet. I would use lead pellets also- nice and soft and they will transfer most of their energy on impact so ricochets into windows will be way less of a concern.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Red Ryder is more fun to shoot since it's so fast to repeat. My go to back yard beer gun
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#14]
A crosman custom shop 1300 carbine.

http://www.crosman.com/custom-shop/

You add a stock to the pump models in the "grips" dropdown.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Red Ryder's are a blast. Both of my kids had Daisy C20s. They are a smaller version. We shot the crap out of them. Make sure to get a trap target to prevent ricochet.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Red Ryder is more fun to shoot since it's so fast to repeat. My go to back yard beer gun
View Quote
There are 3 red riders parked next to the back door in our house at all times. Mine, wife's, and youngest sons(12) , he and I both have "nicer" airguns but the RR's get far more mileage.

We plink all the time, squirrels are smart, they don't get shot too many times before they just avoid the area.

When people come over (adults and kids) the RR's usually come out.

I have introduced a couple of the wife's friends, who have never fired a gun of any kind, to shooting with the RR's, one actually went shooting 22's with us because the RR's were so much fun.

If you do not have, at some point, a RedRyder BB gun and a bag of green army men in your life,
Your life is not complete.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a Daisy model 25 and the Red Ryder.  My ancient model 25 shoots notably faster and flatter than the new Red Ryder.   Plus it'll build some arm muscles.  They still make them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you do not have, at some point, a RedRyder BB gun and a bag of green army men in your life,
Your life is not complete.
View Quote
That's some high-level truth right there . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top