Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2016 7:35:14 PM EDT
26 yds, from left AA 7.33, Crosman Pointed ( 3 shots ), AA 7.9 & AA 8.4 4.51

50 yds. The first group is with 7.33 I tried a light hold with the rifle which obviously the FWB did not like so I switched to my "normal" hold for this rifle. From left AA 7.33, AA 7.9, AA 8.4 4.51 & a re-do of the AA 7.33.

1978 FWB 300S (256XXX ), Leupold 3-9X33 EFR in a BKL-288 elevation adjustable mount
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
We shall see what mine will do at 25 meters with JSB 10.34 Exacts.  I'll be heading to the Extreme Benchrest match tomorrow morning.  Thursday is when the festivities start, and Saturday is the day of the 25 meter event.   In practice with difficult wind conditions, I'm capable of keeping most of my shots in the nine ring or better, but with a significant number of eights.   I hope the wind will be a bit easier to read than here.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:47:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We shall see what mine will do at 25 meters with JSB 10.34 Exacts.  I'll be heading to the Extreme Benchrest match tomorrow morning.  Thursday is when the festivities start, and Saturday is the day of the 25 meter event.   In practice with difficult wind conditions, I'm capable of keeping most of my shots in the nine ring or better, but with a significant number of eights.   I hope the wind will be a bit easier to read than here.
View Quote

What velocity are you getting with the JSB Heavies?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Old school. I shot one of those through most of college. I was expecting match pellets. Instead, you're pursuing new frontiers. Cool.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just arrived back from the event not even an hour ago.  As far as velocity, I really have no exact numbers, nor did I care before and during the match.  It just shot pretty well . . . at least well enough to take second place in the springer class.

I will endeavor to chronograph these some time this week, and give you good numbers---both with my regular 10 meter wadcutters and the JSB exact heavy pellets.

The spring gun shooters were given the first firing positions on the range to keep them together so that they would not cause too much of a distraction for the PCP guys and gals.   However, as I learned from the regulars, these firing points have the most difficult wind conditions of all the range, with the end being almost as difficult.  No one has really figured out the wind in these lanes event though they shoot there regularly.  Yeah me, and the others.

The wind blows over a berm and then has very confusing turbulence as it crosses past the targets.  This is compounded by the turbulence that the angled awning over the firing points causes as well.  A good part of the reason (I think) that my score was about 20 points lower for the three cards was due to the lower velocity and thus greater wind drift my pellets had over the winner.   I had to hold off more than a full mildot left and right and a bit more than a half-mildot above and below to compensate.  Even this was not enough at times. (I shot with a SWFA SS 20X fixed mildot scope)

But, I am not in any way not pleased with my performance.  I'm elated that I got to the the front in the awards ceremony.  The gentleman who won the springer class deserved his place square-and-fair as did the third place winner.  This is a very tough match to begin with, and spring guns make it that more interesting.

I will say this in passing:  I made a wind indication device that I thought was very responsive, and with which I had some practice with at my home ranges which also have difficult wind conditions.  But, this device was too slow in response at Rio Salado.  On a number of shots, my hold off suddenly was in the wrong direction of where I thought it should be.  A short moment later, my device moved to show an opposite wind condition.  "Shit !  I missed that change"  occurred each time in my head (and perhaps muttered aloud) on nearly each occurrence.

The other habit I noticed with myself, was that I had a tendency to underestimate the the amount of hold-off needed in either the vertical or the horizontal, but one or the other was good enough.  This was true even in the 75 yard event with a borrowed .25 Marauder.  

I'll give a more detailed rundown of the event later.  I'm now getting a bit drunk, and need to unwind.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I shot five of the AA (JSB) heavies @ 50 yds today. Almost twice the drop of the AA 7.33 ( mid 670s fps ) and slightly larger group than the 7.33. I didn't bother bringing out the chrony and probably will not bother as this was most likely the last I will shoot the heavies out of this rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top