Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2014 4:33:10 PM EDT
So, I researched the crap out of it, asked around, almost settled on a Benjamin Nitro Piston (because it was $100 cheaper), and finally decided to go ahead and order the RWS 34 (the striker combo with rings and a 3-9x40 scope) in .22 with the hardwood stock. Unfortunately, by the time I did, they were out of stock, but I feel confident that PyramydAir will get more and honor it. I went ahead and put the order through because they are offering 10% off with a code. I couldn't pass up the $30 off.

I want something that I can plink with in the backyard (we have 1.3 acres of woods, but are still within a subdivision), take care of the odd squirrel, and be reliable for years to come. Now, I just have to play the waiting game for about 2 weeks...

So, did I do ok? Did I fail completely? Even if the scope sucks, it wasn't that much more than the non-scoped version and I can always replace it. At least I have something to get started with.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
RWS are excellent and well worth the price & wait.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's good to hear because I honestly felt a little silly paying more for this pellet gun than I paid for my 10/22. I do like stuff that lasts, though, and it seemed like every other brand of springer out there was good for a few thousand rounds and then they were junk. This is the only brand I see people routinely say they've had for decades.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My Benjamin nitro piston .22 was bad ass and whisper quiet. After I did the trigger on it it shoots a ragged hole. wish I didn't need quick cash and sold it to a friend. Although he loves that damn thing too. I am gonna buy it back now that I think about it. Glad I read this. Oh yeah, RWS 34 is nice too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My Benjamin nitro piston .22 was bad ass and whisper quiet. After I did the trigger on it it shoots a ragged hole. wish I didn't need quick cash and sold it to a friend. Although he loves that damn thing too. I am gonna buy it back now that I think about it. Glad I read this. Oh yeah, RWS 34 is nice too.
View Quote

Haha. Glad I could help! It was honestly a tough decision. The Benji looked pretty good too (especially after a trigger replacement), but there seemed to be some hit-or-miss with them, so I went with my gut on it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Get yourself one of these.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get yourself one of these.
View Quote

Interesting--I will keep it in mind.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#7]
If you buy quality, you should be able to pass it down to your grand kids. German air rifles are some of the best. RWS/ Diana, Beeman/ Weihrauch, and Fienwekbau are all quality air rifles.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's good to hear because I honestly felt a little silly paying more for this pellet gun than I paid for my 10/22. I do like stuff that lasts, though, and it seemed like every other brand of springer out there was good for a few thousand rounds and then they were junk. This is the only brand I see people routinely say they've had for decades.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The RWS 34 is a better gun than the 10/22. Well, it's at LEAST as well made as current 10/22 rifles and it's made in Germany in relatively small numbers (compared to 10/22's anyway). Those factors go into the cost.

I honestly don't think you'll be sorry at all once you get it and start shooting it. I thought my first airgun was crazy expensive, too. That was dozens of airguns and countless thousands of dollars ago, though . . .

Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha. Glad I could help! It was honestly a tough decision. The Benji looked pretty good too (especially after a trigger replacement), but there seemed to be some hit-or-miss with them, so I went with my gut on it.

There really is no comparison . . . the trigger alone makes the RWS worth the price difference over the Benjamin.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:There really is no comparison . . . the trigger alone makes the RWS worth the price difference over the Benjamin.
View Quote

That's really what sold me.

So, kudos to PyramydAir because they said it wouldn't even be back in stock until around the 18th, but FedEx dropped off a big box yesterday. I unpacked it and the fit and finish is absolutely beautiful.

Question, though. It is LOUD. Louder than I expected. This is without a pellet. Do they settle down and get a little quieter after a few hundred rounds? Will that kit above quiet it a bit?

Just curious. I love the feel and look of it, but I'm worried my neighbors may not be too happy with me (even though I have 1.3 acres and am not in a fancy, nice subdivision).
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#10]
You should never fire a spring piston air gun without a pellet.  It is designed to use the resistance of the pellet to keep the piston from slamming into the end of the chamber.  As for the noise you will likely find it is quieter after several shots as you are probably burning up the slight amount of oil that was in the chamber.  I have a RWS 45 from the 80's and it is the only air rifle I kept as I like it so much so I am sure you will really enjoy your 34 model.  How about some pics of the new squirrel problem solver?
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You should never fire a spring piston air gun without a pellet.  It is designed to use the resistance of the pellet to keep the piston from slamming into the end of the chamber.  As for the noise you will likely find it is quieter after several shots as you are probably burning up the slight amount of oil that was in the chamber.  I have a RWS 45 from the 80's and it is the only air rifle I kept as I like it so much so I am sure you will really enjoy your 34 model.  How about some pics of the new squirrel problem solver?
View Quote

Thanks for the tip. Only did it once because I was curious how loud it would be. I'll try to get some pics as soon as I can. Been dealing with a lot of real life right now and just barely had time to unpack it, clean some of the oil off the stock, and make that one test fire before putting it away. I honestly wasn't expecting it for another 2 weeks, so I haven't even had time to set up a good spot and pellet trap to fire it safely.

I will say, I absolutely love the sights. I wanted one with iron sights--seems most of the cheaper ones are optics-only.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You should never fire a spring piston air gun without a pellet. . . .
View Quote

Bears repeating.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bears repeating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should never fire a spring piston air gun without a pellet. . . .

Bears repeating.

No need. I get it. But if it helps someone else, great.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Here are some pics after I spent some time sending a few pellets down the barrel and mounting the scope. The quality is great on this rifle and it will easily outshoot my abilities. I am really happy with it. It's maybe a little louder than a nail gun and the neighbor's dag doesn't really like it, but I've decided I'm not doing anything wrong, so I don't really care what the dog thinks.

I love the fiber optic red/green sights on it.

Mounted the 4-12x40 scope.

First scoped target at 15 yards. Like I said, it shoots better than my rifle skills (which is why I got one--practice practice). That one that went right through the center? That was the very first shot after mounting the scope.

Really pleased with it and can't recommend Pyramydair.com enough. Not only did they ship it long before I ever expected them to get it back in stock, but they included the riser, rings, and that mostrous 4-12x40 scope instead of the 3-9x40 that was listed on the page.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#15]

This photo I found seems appropriate.  Not my photo.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:12:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This photo I found seems appropriate.  Not my photo.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/FiremanFrank/scaredsquirrel_zps5ff86504.jpg
View Quote

LOL. That's awesome.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#17]
What brand is the scope?

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What brand is the scope?

View Quote

It's a Tech Force by Air Venturi. It's this scope actually.

I don't know that I would have chosen it were I paying full price for it, but as part of the package deal and what I paid, it's a pretty nice scope.

ETA: It's actually a lot nicer than the 3-9 Bushnell I have for my 10/22.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the RWS 34 for hunting. have one in .177 and one in .22. Excellent trigger, very accurate and reliable. Went to pellet rifles during the 22 LR ammo shortage.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#20]
The 34 is a great gun, I have one in 177, a 48 in 22 ( side cock) and now a benji trail NP2.

As well as a GAMO whisper that's a pretty great gun as well.

I wish RWS made a side cock 48 with a nitro piston and suppressor like the NP2. A man can dream.

I would buy that in a second. RWS is a whole 'nother level from most. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The 34 is a great gun, I have one in 177, a 48 in 22 ( side cock) and now a benji trail NP2.

As well as a GAMO whisper that's a pretty great gun as well.

I wish RWS made a side cock 48 with a nitro piston and suppressor like the NP2. A man can dream.

I would buy that in a second. RWS is a whole 'nother level from most. Enjoy.
View Quote

That WOULD be sweet!!!  I'd love to try a 52 with a gas ram unit...

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 3:13:57 AM EDT
[#22]
The 34 will serve you well. Loosen up on the grip. Let her just touch your hands. The noise will come down a bit. If it is loud, it could be dieseling. My son`s took about 200 shots for it to settle down. Man what a shooter.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#23]
An RWS 48 was my most wanted airgun, and after over twenty years of waiting, I finally got one. Worth every penny.

It'll definitely shoot smoother with use. I regularly clean out the local stores of their better pellet selections.

You did good. I *almost* got a 34, but the 48 was what I really wanted, and I ended up finding one at an irresistible price.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I gotta say that your 34 is one SEXY springer!!!  I love it!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

An RWS 48 was my most wanted airgun, and after over twenty years of waiting, I finally got one. Worth every penny.

It'll definitely shoot smoother with use. I regularly clean out the local stores of their better pellet selections.

You did good. I *almost* got a 34, but the 48 was what I really wanted, and I ended up finding one at an irresistible price.
View Quote

Always try to get what you want....just try to do a lot of research to make sure it is REALLLY what you want.  Like you, I did a lot of digging and now that I am getting good with my 54....I know I made the right choice.

Oddly, a Weihrauch HW-98 or 97KT might actually been the BETTER choice but....the 48/52 series Dianas are just so damn bad ass....and I LOVE IT!!!

That's what counts!!!

What I love about the OP's rifle is that it is so SLEEK!!!  It's like a nice Serval cat...smooth, long and lean!!!!  Squirrels prolly die just LOOKIN' at it!!!!

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks. The finish and wood grain is really nice. RWS makes a good looking rifle.

I need to get out and shoot it again--it's been a couple weeks that I've been too busy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I hear ya!  I still haven't been able to get my 54 out to anything beyond 10 yards.....I'm dying to get out...but with a new semester starting up soon....and working my ass off.....it may be a while!!!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I hear ya!  I still haven't been able to get my 54 out to anything beyond 10 yards.....I'm dying to get out...but with a new semester starting up soon....and working my ass off.....it may be a while!!!  
View Quote

I totally understand. Until I get a better trimmer and clear some scrub, I'm limited to about 15 or so yards. Plus, I bought my 9 year-old daughter a Crosman pump BB gun and now if I go out, she wants to go out too. Unfortunately, she's not quite strong enough to pump hers, so it ends up being a lot of her shooting a BB and handing me her gun to pump it!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I totally understand. Until I get a better trimmer and clear some scrub, I'm limited to about 15 or so yards. Plus, I bought my 9 year-old daughter a Crosman pump BB gun and now if I go out, she wants to go out too. Unfortunately, she's not quite strong enough to pump hers, so it ends up being a lot of her shooting a BB and handing me her gun to pump it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL....nothing like being a slave to the grind!!!

Good news...I am gonna get my 54 OUT this weekend!  I can't wait!!!!

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been a couple of weeks and she keeps begging me to take her out. I like that. I'm also fine with pumping it for her if it helps her learn to love shooting! Unfortunately, it's been 90 degrees most days and now it's supposed to be stormy/rainy all weekend. Ah well, I'm going to try and get her out there for a bit one of these days this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It's been a couple of weeks and she keeps begging me to take her out. I like that. I'm also fine with pumping it for her if it helps her learn to love shooting! Unfortunately, it's been 90 degrees most days and now it's supposed to be stormy/rainy all weekend. Ah well, I'm going to try and get her out there for a bit one of these days this weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shooting in the rain builds character!!!!    She'll love it...as long as she has a good poncho!!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top