Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2013 4:14:01 AM EDT
I am thinking of purchasing an air pistol to shoot in my basement and the occasional sparrow outside. How is the Crosman 2300 K from the custom shop? Would I be better off buying a one stroke pneumatic from a German maker? Any other choices?
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]
How much money do you have?  Best would probably be 2k+.  FWB is a good start, but there are a few that are arguably no worse.  Pretty much all the top line stuff is pcp, so you will need the equipment for that as well, so add in $400-$3k (depending on how throughout you want to do it).

There is a smaller version for only about $1200

Cheap side, best is a Russian SSP.  It is $500ish, but no extra equipment.  It is almost as good as the top end stuff, just a bit less adjustable.  IZH.  (Ops, now closer to $600)

Once opon a time, the least expensive pcp was the AA, It was about $600

There is also the Crosman 1701P, nice, but not as good as the IZH, plus you will be investing in pcp support gear.

Then comes the Avanti stuff - it is really week, but shoots acruate enough.  It is under $200.

I don't know if Crosman makes a CO2 with the 1701P trigger.  I think it is almost a bolt on switch - that might be your cheapest bet.  If you do it, understand that you will be doing a breach change ($40), a sight change ($40), and the trigger change ($60).  So it adds up quickly.

----

I just got a HB22.  If it was made correctly, I would recommend it (or an HB17-both are essentially discontinued).  Nice wood, decent trigger, it is actually pretty accurate - plus it is brass so will last a lifetime.  Unfortunately either Crosman is activly trying to kill it by selling seconds intentionally, or QC is so low that everything is a second.  Damn front pin was drilled off square.  That in turn made the front sight cant.  I am going to have to hang the rear sight almost 1/8" off center to compensate, and make sure I have it twisted as I pump to keep it from binding on the side of the pump slot.
Still It is managing about 1" offhand (2hand) groups at 10m, and for me that is about as good as it gets.  Plus, as a pumper it makes a great little hunting pistol.

---

Just configured a 2300kt at the custom shop.  $200 and it still has a questionable trigger group.  The one I configured was a 2300T with walnut grips ($160 msrp - with plastic grips, plus retailers might discount it since it is a stock product, not custom shop - ok NOT).
Put a 1701p frame and trigger on it and it would be a nice little pistol for under $250.

----

As an afterthought, here is one other.

IIRC it was originally a German pistol, but now is being sold as a $40 Chinese clone with the Beeman name still attached (Chinese version is a P17 - I think the German version was a P3).  When it works, the reviews are pretty good.

_____

I have a modified 2240, modified 1377, HB22, 1701P, AA Alpha Proj, and an FWB 65 (that is long since discontinued - but a work of art.  You might be able to find one in good used condition for $600ish - these were 1980's vintage).  I have shot the Avanti, I have been arround the IZH, but not shot one.  I have no personal experience with the Beeman.

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe not what your looking for, but I shoot in my garage the super colibri .22 ammo through my Henry lever rifle. Very accurate and insanely quiet. Just an idea out if the box.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Mousehunter,

Thanks for all the choices, but those are a little pricy for me. What about the WEIHRAUCH HW40? Anyone have any experience with this model?

Seej333,
I think I want to get an air pistol but not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mousehunter,

Thanks for all the choices, but those are a little pricy for me. What about the WEIHRAUCH HW40? Anyone have any experience with this model?

Seej333,
I think I want to get an air pistol but not a bad idea.
View Quote

I recommend against any spring piston pistol that doesn't have a recoiless mechanism. So I don't recommend the WEIHRAUCH HW40. Good examples of recoiless springers are the no longer produced FWB-65 and RWS/Diana Model 10.

If your budget is that tight, a Crosman 2300 K may well be your best option.

They're way more than you are talking about spending, but now that everyone is going PCP, competition quality CO2 pistols are a good buy. i.e. TAU-7, Aeron B-96 or B-97, Drulov DU-10, Steyr LP-1 or LP-5
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#5]
2300 k is probably a good choice, not really knocking it - just it is not a target pistol.  I have a very modified 2240 - which ultimately is a 2300 K, but with a better trigger and a shorter barrel.  It is fairly loud.  It is not match grade accurate.  At $160 or so, you could have some fun with it.  Add a $60 Prod trigger and it would be a bit nicer.  That said, the P17 gets pretty good reviews and is $40.

My latest addition is a Benjamin HB22.  Multi pump is great for hunting, but will wear you out for target.  It is a nice enough pistol I guess, but it should have been much better.  Crosman either is ignoring quality control issues with the old brass Benjamin's - encouraging them to kill off the brand.

Another option to research - SSP Gamo Compact.  It is marketed as an entry level target pistol at $200.  IIRC I read good things about the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/26/2013 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
In case you are interested, saw this classified posted today on the yellow forum

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/thread/1388055924/For+Sale-+Gamo+Compact%3B+Crosman+2300T%3B+Sheridan+Silver+Streak

Both a Gamo Compact and a Crosman 2300 T.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top