Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2013 9:54:58 AM EDT
similar to what they have over at rimfire central http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513218

20 shots standing and unsupported (no sling) at 10meters in 15 minutes on an AR-5/10 target (or AR-5/5 or single bull 10m air rifle target).  Post your highest score for the month.  Time to change targets takes place while the clock is still running.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_metre_air_rifle

Categories would be: precision, sporter, any other rifle (AOR) for you guys that don't have what would typically be considered a target rifle.

.177 cal only

iron/peep sights and optical categories as well.

Any interest?

If so, post the following and you can choose whether or not to show your targets.
Rifle Category (precision, sport, AOR)
Rifle make/model/sights
Ammo
Score

Scoring, the middle white 'dot' on the ar-5/10 target is a ten, the inner ring is a 9, the rest of the scoring rings are labeled.  If you break a line adjoining scores, you get the higher score.  Your shot has to touch the center white dot to get a 10.  If your pellet doesn't punch clean holes, you can't count a long tear in the hole as a higher score: score within a pellet's dimesions if there's any question.

The two circled targets on the ar-5/10 are for unlimited sighting rounds.

example target not to be used for scoring...

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The AR-5/10 won't fit my pellet trap. Any chance we could use the AR-5/5?

But yeah, I'm interested. I'm confused about the course of fire, though. You say 20 shots. How many shots per bull?

Here's the targets I use . . .

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry... I only own .22.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The AR-5/10 won't fit my pellet trap. Any chance we could use the AR-5/5?

But yeah, I'm interested. I'm confused about the course of fire, though. You say 20 shots. How many shots per bull?

Here's the targets I use . . .

http://www.champchoice.com/images/webmedium/AR55.jpg
View Quote

The AR-5/5 is fine.  It's 1 shot per bull so it can be scored accurately.  The specific target model or bulls/page isn't important as long as the dimensions of each bull are for 10m air rifle.

edit to add: after you shoot and record your score, you could always continue to use those targets for plinking if you don't want to feel like you're wasting good targets on a single shot/bull.  Keep in mind that using a 5 bull target will take 4 target sheet changes so you'll use up a little of your time in that process.

No stopping the 15 minute clock while you change targets.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry... I only own .22.
View Quote

I'm sorry too.  Maybe if this takes off we can figure out a way to accommodate .22 in another class.  It would probably be something like a .22 smallbore target at 50m.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The AR-5/5 is fine.  It's 1 shot per bull so it can be scored accurately.  The specific target model or bulls/page isn't important as long as the dimensions of each bull are for 10m air rifle.

edit to add: after you shoot and record your score, you could always continue to use those targets for plinking if you don't want to feel like you're wasting good targets on a single shot/bull.  Keep in mind that using a 5 bull target will take 4 target sheet changes so you'll use up a little of your time in that process.

View Quote

So, just to clarify . . . . a participant can make multiple attempts to shoot for score, but each 15-minute/20-shot group must be scored separately. Once the shooter is satisfied that he's got a worthwhile entry (again, the results of one 15-minute/20-shot attempt) he or she posts their score. Is that about right? This is a monthly match, right? What is the cut off date? Is it the last day of the month? Will there be a new thread for each month's match or will we just use this one?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So, just to clarify . . . . a participant can make multiple attempts to shoot for score, but each 15-minute/20-shot group must be scored separately. Once the shooter is satisfied that he's got a worthwhile entry (again, the results of one 15-minute/20-shot attempt) he or she posts their score. Is that about right? This is a monthly match, right? What is the cut off date? Is it the last day of the month? Will there be a new thread for each month's match or will we just use this one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot as many 20rnd/15min rounds/sessions as you want; each session scored separately.  With a maximum total of 200 points per session.  Mixing and matching your highest targets from different sessions won't help you to track your progress and setbacks.

You can post as you go along so you have an online record of your progress or just post once at the end of the month.

Figure a month is midnight first day to 11:59pm last day of the month.  We'll see what the turnout is like but it's probably easiest for everyone if we start a new thread the first of the month.  If there's no thread up on the 1st, you can still shoot and post your scores when the thread gets created.

I'll do my best to get it going for a few months at least.  Bring the final scores together and post the results.

Think of it as a friendly competition and a way to track your progress online.  Might be interesting to post your targets too so you can look back and see how your consistency looks.

Having said all that, go ahead and post scores here for Sept.

I should also clarify: all 20 rounds are shot offhand/standing without external support of a sling/bipod.  You can wear full shooting outfit or any combination of shooting clothing (jacket/pants/shoes/gloves).

We're winging it here.  Have fun!  

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I should also clarify: all 20 rounds are shot offhand/standing without external support of a sling/bipod.  You can wear full shooting outfit or any combination of shooting clothing (jacket/pants/shoes/gloves).

View Quote

I'm glad you said that. I knew we were talking off-hand but I figured I'd sling up. I guess that's out. (I don't own any shooting clothes so that's not an issue.)

BTW, I dusted off the RWS 75 and shot some practice rounds tonight, Wow! I really suck!
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I really need an air rifle
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
similar to what they have over at rimfire central http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513218 . ..

View Quote

I looked at your link . . . Hey, no fair! You're already shooting for the other team! . . . I think you should have to shoot special strings just for us . . . . . . . (I'm kidding)
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I looked at your link . . . Hey, no fair! You're already shooting for the other team! . . . I think you should have to shoot special strings just for us . . . . . . . (I'm kidding)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
similar to what they have over at rimfire central http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513218 . ..

No reason you can't shoot for both teams!    And I'm just starting so it's not like I'm a ringer.

Not a lot of activity on the RFC match and no allowance for anything but sporter and precision rifles.  So they're cutting out a large number of potential shooters.

I'd encourage everyone to participate in both matches if you have a sporter or precision rifle.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No reason you can't shoot for both teams!    And I'm just starting so it's not like I'm a ringer.

Not a lot of activity on the RFC match and no allowance for anything but sporter and precision rifles.  So they're cutting out a large number of potential shooters.

I'd encourage everyone to participate in both matches if you have a sporter or precision rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I hope we get some participation here. My INTENTION is to play.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm interested have to check my targets,
Not sure they are A5/10
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not sure they are A5/10
View Quote

I made a couple of tweaks to update the original post.

As long as the target is the official 10m bull size, it can have any number of bulls.  But time to change targets comes out of your shooting time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As long as the target is the official 10m bull size, it can have any number of bulls.  But time to change targets comes out of your shooting time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure they are A5/10

It also screws up your foot placement.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure they are A5/10

True but that penalty might be offset a bit b/c a multi-bull target requires a different natural point of aim for each bull.  

You could shoot all 10 bulls on an AR-5/10 from a fixed position but you'd be using muscles.  This is something I'm struggling with a bit right now.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Sporter
motopix
Crosman Challenger 2009 w/stock peeps
RWS R-10 Match 8.2

Score: 140

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Shot my first 20-shot string for score tonight . . . . . 115 with three complete misses (0 score) . . . pitiful . . . I'm calling this my baseline. Maybe the next attempt will be better.

Precision class
rifle: RWS 75
sights: stock match (aperture)
pellet: RWS Meisterkugeln 8.2 gr pellets.
SCORE: 115

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Shot my first 20-shot string for score tonight . . . . . 115 with three complete misses (0 score) . . . pitiful . . . I'm calling this my baseline. Maybe the next attempt will be better.

Precision class
rifle: RWS 75
sights: match (aperture)
pellet: RWS Meisterkugln 8.2 gr pellets.
SCORE: 115

I don't have a scanner so I can't post my targets. I've been thinking of buying an all-in-one printer so maybe this will get me off the fence.
View Quote

I have to laugh because I was feeling the same way 3 weeks ago when I started and had as many zeros.  You will get better quickly.  Then of course, we'll plateau and struggle to make any progress and mostly likely even regress.  Seems about the same in any sport.

Thanks for participating!

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have to laugh because I was feeling the same way 3 weeks ago when I started and had as many zeros.  You will get better quickly.  Then of course, we'll plateau and struggle to make any progress and mostly likely even regress.  Seems about the same in any sport.

Thanks for participating!

View Quote

The score I posted was actually my second 20-shot string of the evening. The first didn't even break 100. On the string I posted, I started off strong but by the third 5-bull target I was falling apart. I didn't get a good NPOA posture for set three. By set four (bulls 16-20) I was weakening. That's where I threw two of my three misses.

BTW, the 15-minute time limit doesn't seem to be much of an issue for me. I miss them quick.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
BTW, the 15-minute time limit doesn't seem to be much of an issue for me. I miss them quick.
View Quote

I'm using a timer on my cell phone and have been ending up with 2-3 minutes left over so I'm working to slow down and use all the time.  Resting the rifle on a bench between shots, taking a little more time to relax and resetting (look away from the sights and or lower the rifle) after 8-10 seconds (estimated) if I don't break a shot.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Since our club already does one 10 meter match a month (mostly pistol) but we could add a 20 shot rifle match as well.  The 15 minute time limit for 20 shots is rather fast considering the official time limit for 10m competitions is 2 minutes per scoring shot.  It does, however, make a rifle match doable in conjunction with a pistol match and Bell Target.

I'm going to propose this at the next match.  I know at least two of us will be willing to do this.  However, I am the only one who posts here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Since our club already does one 10 meter match a month (mostly pistol) but we could add a 20 shot rifle match as well.  The 15 minute time limit for 20 shots is rather fast considering the official time limit for 10m competitions is 2 minutes per scoring shot.  It does, however, make a rifle match doable in conjunction with a pistol match and Bell Target.

I'm going to propose this at the next match.  I know at least two of us will be willing to do this.  However, I am the only one who posts here.
View Quote

I don't know how the 20 shots in 15minutes (45 seconds/shot) came about.  Just copying the RimfireCentral match.  My only exposure to other competitions has been watching ISSF videos where they have 75 seconds/shot in the finals.

Looking forward to you and others joining in!
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I am interested, but I need targets. Are there any printable targets on line? I have a lot of targets, but nothing that meets the requirements.

Mike

Update: I think I found some printable targets. Could someone measure an official target to verify the targets I found. I need the diameter of the 10 rings.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am interested, but I need targets. Are there any printable targets on line? I have a lot of targets, but nothing that meets the requirements.

Mike

Update: I think I found some printable targets. Could someone measure an official target to verify the targets I found. I need the diameter of the 10 rings.
Thanks
View Quote

The center ring is 5mm.  The outer, black 4-ring is 30mm.  The whole target ring is 45mm.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]
The printable targets are fine. Here is a link for the targets.

http://www.airgunarena.com/images/e/ed/6mARtargets.pdf

The 3rd and 4th targets are the 10 meter targets.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Thanks for the link. Keep in mind that printing these on plain paper, you may have trouble getting the pellets to punch clean holes.

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link. Keep in mind that printing these on plain paper, you may have trouble getting the pellets to punch clean holes.

View Quote

Yup, I just punched a few holes and they were a little ragged. I have to say that I surprised myself. I have not shot this rifle in over 3 years. This rifle was deep in the back of the safe. My back yard range is set up at 25, 35, and 50 yards and has seen little use in the past 3 years.  Most of the time I will grab the 20 cal or 22 cal rifles. I dug up 3 different pellets and ran a quick 5 shot group of each. The 3 pellets that I tried were Crosman Premier 7.9, Crosman Premier Heavy 10.5, and JSB Exact Diablo 8.44.  My results were:

Score: 108
Pellet: JSB Exact.
Rifle: Beeman R-7
Scope: Bushnell Trophy 4-12
Time: 7 minutes.

I should have first fired a few shots from the bench to verify the scope, but I did not. I had 1 accidental discharge before I was on target that I did not count towards the score, and 1 miss.  I also need to take more time as I just fired 1 after another.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I tried shooting two more 20-shot strings with the RWS75 tonight and never managed to beat the 115 I shot the other night. Once again, I had several complete misses each round. I could feel myself getting tired with the heavy match rifle, so I decided to shoot another string with a lighter rifle. I pulled out my trusty and beloved HW55 and shot a 120, with one zero among the 20.

By all rights I should shoot better with the RWS75, and if I could keep all my shots in the black, I probably would. I guess I'm just a big puss, but I had better consistency with the lighter rifle. I'm going to keep working with the 75 but I'm probably going to shoot some with the 55 as well.

Classification: Precision (but only in an old-school sort of way)
Rifle: Weihrauch HW55 with stock match aperture sights
Pellet: RWS Meisterkugeln 8.2 gr
Score: 120

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#30]

I'm far from an expert but my 2 cents.  First it looks like you might be short changing yourself on scoring.  It appears you have several shots breaking the line where you've given the lower score.  It could just be the pictures and it wouldn't make a huge difference but still... I also tend to score it lower if there's any doubt in my mind.

Have you slowed down and are you using all of your time?  Putting the rifle down or resting on something between shots?  

I'm not in great shape after two years of sitting on my ass and have been a little sore these past two sessions.  So I'm working on resting the rifle between shots for at least 15 seconds.  It did make a difference for me.  And trying to be aware of my form and muscle tension (there shouldn't be any).

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#31]
make it 10m air pistol and we'll talk

I need to get mine out
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:08:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm far from an expert but my 2 cents.  First it looks like you might be short changing yourself on scoring.  It appears you have several shots breaking the line where you've given the lower score.  It could just be the pictures and it wouldn't make a huge difference but still... I also tend to score it lower if there's any doubt in my mind . . . .
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm far from an expert but my 2 cents.  First it looks like you might be short changing yourself on scoring.  It appears you have several shots breaking the line where you've given the lower score.  It could just be the pictures and it wouldn't make a huge difference but still... I also tend to score it lower if there's any doubt in my mind . . . .

There is one 8/9 that could go higher, but the others are right. Yeah, they're really close, but they didn't break the line. FWIW, I was scorer on the barricade event at the Bianchi Cup for five years back in the 90s so I'm familiar with scoring. Frankly, at the Bianchi Cup I would have given shooters the benefit of the doubt on a couple of these, but when scoring my own target, I'm pretty strict. Given the choice between 120 and 121, I say "Meh, I'll take the lower score. I'm not going to beat a tie for 87th place that way." . . . BTW, when I was scoring at the Cup, I did notice that few shooters ever argued with me when I gave them the higher value . . .

Have you slowed down and are you using all of your time?  Putting the rifle down or resting on something between shots?  

I'm not in great shape after two years of sitting on my ass and have been a little sore these past two sessions.  So I'm working on resting the rifle between shots for at least 15 seconds.  It did make a difference for me.  And trying to be aware of my form and muscle tension (there shouldn't be any).

All of these comments/observations are spot on. I haven't tried resting the rifle between shots and, yes, I'm rushing. I'm working on NPOA and eliminating muscle tension, though. This online match just forces me to do that . . . . . .
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 3:14:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
make it 10m air pistol and we'll talk . . .
View Quote

I believe anyone is allowed to start a thread here . . .
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sorry... I only own .22.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:48:04 PM EDT
[#35]
September 9, 2013.

Two of the five regular shooters braved the great weather for the monthly 10 meter match near Pocatello Idaho. (Actually these two had nothing more pressing unlike the others.)  ArimoDave and the other shooter who will be referred to as Mr. Anschutz as he does not want his name mentioned at this time, shot air rifles at the standard 10 meter air rifle target, Bell Target at 10 yards and 7 yards, and pistol at the standard 10 meter pistol target.  Shooting coats were not worn and all shots were from standing unsupported.

At the beginning of the match, ArimoDave suggested shooting the course of fire proposed here.  However in order to conserve targets instead of posting two targets with only one shot per bull, one target was used with two shot per each bull.   Both completed the 20 shots within the 15 minute time limit.

The pistol match was shot with no time limit and was a 30 shot match and unlimited sighters.  It was shot single handed, unsupported and standing.

Bell Target has a 3/8” diameter hole with 1” increment scoring rings.  It is painted white and pellets make a scoreable mark in the paint.  Shots with more half or more of the pellet going into the hole (which also rings a bell) are 5 points.  Each successive scoring ring reduces the score by one point.  A match is six shots with a possible score of 30.  It was shot with iron sighted rifles from the standing unsupported position.  Both Mr. Anschutz and ArimoDave traded rifles for half of the bell target matches.

Scores are as follows:

10 Meter Rifle 200 possible:
Mr. Anschutz:  136-0X (an X is counted when the 10 ring dot is completely obliterated).  He shot an Anschutz 10 meter PCP rifle with aperture iron sights. (I'm not sure of the model.)

ArimoDave:  153-1X.  He shot a FWB 300S Aperture iron sights.

10 Meter Pistol 300 possible:
Mr Anschutz:  257-1X : FWB PCP 10 meter pistol with iron sights (Best score by a club member to date.)

ArimoDave:  253-1X : IZH 46M with iron sights.  (Note:  this improved his best score to date by 1X)

10 Yard Bell Target using own rifle:
Mr Anschutz:  25

ArimoDave:  26

10 Yard Bell Target using the other guy's rifle:
Mr. Anschutz:  25

ArimoDave:  25

7 Yard Bell Target with own rifle:
Mr. Anschutz:  27

ArimoDave:  27

7Yard Bell Target with other guy's rifle
Mr. Anschutz:  27

ArimoDave:  29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top