Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2017 11:02:58 PM EDT
After a long time wandering in the wilderness trying everything but voodoo to get my .243 Ruger No 1 in with medium B profile barrel to shoot consistently, finally got it to repeat.  This somewhat clumsily prepared pic is 4 straight shot groups, the smallest being the last.  Prior load work ups and shooting sessions identified this load as consistently accurate, and this session was confirmatory.   100yd from bench, Hornady 87 gr Vmax over 43.5 gr of IMR 4350, using excellent Norma brass, no pressure signs.  I suspect 44 gr might also shoot well, that is at max in my load data.  Next stop 200 and 300 yds.

Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried the fixes for the front stock hanger. I never had a #1 shoot a wide range of loads decent until this was done. Afterwards most loads would shoot 1 1/2 inches with some going under 1/2 inch
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I evaluated the technique for modifying the hanger system closely, decided not to go for it.  I did try a nylon bushing under the screw to "float' the handguard on the cheap, did not seem to work & didn't like the feel of it.

Thinking with careful handloads his rifle will shoot 85 gr - 100 gr well.  

From my records, I now recall that I had an 85 gr bullet shoot when worked up to 44 gr of IMR 4350, a max but also accuracy load, then the bullet was discontinued, stopped messing with it for a couple years.  This 87 gr Hornady bullet is a real winner.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good! I need to try those 87 grain v max bullets.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Had it out for 200 yd shoot the other day, it stayed consistently under MOA.  Yes the bullet's a winner, hopefully never to be discontinued.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top