Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2017 12:30:46 AM EDT
Thinking about getting a RAR 300BO, I've already got a 9" SBR that I've been whacking deer with but I've been considering the RAR as a walk around gun.  I've also considered converting one of my under used AR's into a 16" 300BO but I'm looking to go light.  Yes, I have a can.
Does anyone have the Primary Arms ACSS 300BO 1-6x scope on their RAR?

Deer season starts up again in November got to get ready.

Don't be shy now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Teenage son has one and we're going on his first deer hunt this weekend (a managed doe hunt thru TPWD and TX Youth Hunting Program). He's using Hornady Full Boar 110 gr solids at 2450 fps and a Vortex Crossfire 2X7.
I'll update this thread hopefully with a nice first hunt success story
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
This interest me as well. I've been wanting a bolt action to shoot sub sonic's through and the Ruger ranch variant seems to be a perfect fit. From what I've read it seems like they are very accurate for the price point.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked my RARR in 300 BLK so much that I bought a 2nd one.  One is a day time hunting rifle; one is a night time hunting rifle with a thermal optic mounted.  Several coyotes, deer, armadillos, and hogs have been taken.  Took another deer with it this season.  Both give me 1 to 1 1/2" 100yd groups off a rest with loads that they like.  I did however find that they gave 3-4% failures to fire when using "hard" primers in my reloads.  Switching to CCI #400 primers eliminated the failures to fire.  

Here's a 171 pound boar taken with the night time RARR.

Boar taken with RARR 300 BLK
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one and flat love it, unfortunately, I loaned it to my Father, and he fell in love with it....  I haven't seen it since October.  He has whacked a couple of deer and a wild dog with it, running hand loaded nosler 110 Varmageddons.  19.0gns of Lil Gun and the 110's shoot very very well.  The 208 AMAX and 9.3gns of Lil Gun went sub 1/4-moa at 50yds and are at the edge of supersonic.  9.3gns of Lil Gun and a Sierra 220 RN pro-hunter are almost Hollywood quiet subs and they went 1/4moa as well.  Really an excellent value for the money.  If I can ever get mine back, it will be my truck gun...if.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
My son got a doe, but not with the RARR .300 blk. The huntmaster wanted him to use a .243 loaner at this one blind due to the potential for a 150 yd + shot. Turns out the 125 lb doe he got was right at 100 yds. He'll hopefully get to wack a hog with the RARR soon
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My son got a doe, but not with the RARR .300 blk. The huntmaster wanted him to use a .243 loaner at this one blind due to the potential for a 150 yd + shot. Turns out the 125 lb doe he got was right at 100 yds. He'll hopefully get to wack a hog with the RARR soon
View Quote

That's too bad, I've taken a doe at 90-100 yds with a 9" SBR using a 110gr HP Sierra Varmiter over 19.5gr of W296 and had a complete pass thru with full fragmentation, it was a DRT shot.  A 150 yard shot would not have been an issue for the RARR with its 16" barrel and a good supersonic load.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I love mine.
Haven't hunted with it, but may go for the first time next season (deer).
I'm using a 3-9 Nikon scope and shoot suppressed subs only so far. It seems to like SMK 220s.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:05:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one with the PA 1-6, love it.  Suppressed with my Octane 9 it was easily inside 2" at 100 with PNW subsonics.  The PA scope is right on at 100 at the top of the line, after zeroing at 50 with the center dot.  
Trigger is good, action is decent, nothing is smooth like my Lee Enfields .  Mag is the weak point, just very flimsy, not confidence-inducing.  It had some misfeeds with the original magazine and some extras I bought.  I see there are some people on Youtube with fixes involving twisting the mag spring for more tension, or trimming on the mags.  I need to try those so it will be 100%.  I just wish someone would make a good aftermarket mag.

I've got a long backlog of threadings and NFA projects, but on the list is to make this rifle into a 8"ish SBR.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been pleased with mine. Working on a cast lead load now. I also have an AR in 300 BO on a 10.5 upper.
My RAR is way more accurate with my Sig suppressor.
Good purchase.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Great gun, got this from a guy that used it in a deer cull (100+ taken, suppressed, contracted professional, no IM's plz)
My octane9 on there.
Worked up a good super load for it and put my Hybrid on it, no luck tho. Tried my 77/357-Octane combo and a doe showed up, 50yds, DRT.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I would wait till Ruger gets the magazine issues worked out. I have one and love it when it feeds. My first magazine feeds correctly about 50% of the time and the magazine they sent me to replace it is a complete disaster and won't feed at all.
And the rifle is pretty much useless without a magazine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#13]
FWIW

I have 5 Ruger mags between my 2 RARR's in 300BLK and my 1 RARR in 5.56.  No mag failures to feed so far in 1,251 total rounds fired in my 3 RARR's, but I have read of others with feeding problems.  One other thing, some people say they can load 6 rounds in the 5 round mags...I've only been able to load 5 in each of mine even though I feel they are well broken in now.  I've done no alterations or tuning of my 5 magazines.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Had a .308 that worked perfectly, until it didnt. Almost like the mags deformed over time. Ruger sent a new one that is different, and works well on the bench. If the new design works, it would be great. If not, there is a co in Australia making a nice looking aftermarket setup for about $140.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I also am having a few issues with my RAR  300Bk .  Not trashing Ruger as I have a slew of Ruger products that are great, including one of their early 556 piston Guns.   I'm in the early stages of trying to figure this out.  I am having a lot of light primer strikes, this could be ammo ...so I am working through different brands to see what I can come up with, but here's the interesting part....I only shoot sub sonic and it sounds like my 10.3 Daniel Defense 556 suppressed SBR.....Loud !!!  I thought a bolt gun would be quieter , mine is certainly not hearing safe

My set up   Ruger RAR Bolt Rifle   300 Blackout   w/ AAC  SDN-6  on a 51 T flash hider mount

Ammo  (so far)  Gemtech  187gr  subsonic     Palmetto projectiles   220gr subsonic    Remington  220 gr  subsonic

Just so you won't think I'm a newbie.....looking for the elusive Hollywood quiet.....I have a 12.5"  AAC  300 and with the same suppressor it is very quiet, I was hoping the bolt action would be quieter because of no action cycling which is probably 140 db on its own

Any suggestions will be appreciated
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Just got a RARR 300 BLK. Haven't shot it yet. One thing to note is with the stock buttstock shape. You will need a low mount to get your cheek on the stock and see through the scope. I have a Leupold 30MM 1.5X4 VX-R Patrol mounted on mine with low rings. High rings that would work on an AR makes you raise your eyes and cheeks far above the stock. Good trigger. Nice little compact rifle built to sell as low as possible. Magazines do appear cheap and would have preferred a metal floor plate type. They cut corners and did no hand polishing, radius work. The chamber has a sharp corner that tends to catch the mouth of cases but I've read that it goes away with use? The bolt has a channel with such sharp edges that it can cut you. Overall though I like this little compact 300 Blackout bolt rifle and it's lower price.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just got a RARR 300 BLK. Haven't shot it yet. One thing to note is with the stock buttstock shape. You will need a low mount to get your cheek on the stock and see through the scope. I have a Leupold 30MM 1.5X4 VX-R Patrol mounted on mine with low rings. High rings that would work on an AR makes you raise your eyes and cheeks far above the stock. Good trigger. Nice little compact rifle built to sell as low as possible. Magazines do appear cheap and would have preferred a metal floor plate type. They cut corners and did no hand polishing, radius work. The chamber has a sharp corner that tends to catch the mouth of cases but I've read that it goes away with use? The bolt has a channel with such sharp edges that it can cut you. Overall though I like this little compact 300 Blackout bolt rifle and it's lower price.
View Quote
They should have made the stock modular like the RAR. I dont need a sticky rubber recoil pad either on a small caliber rifle. I agree with you the mags seem super flimsy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone experience light strikes with Barnes ammo (specifically, the Vor-Tx)?

I just got a RARR in .300blk and want to make sure that my hunting ammo will be reliable.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone experience light strikes with Barnes ammo (specifically, the Vor-Tx)?

I just got a RARR in .300blk and want to make sure that my hunting ammo will be reliable.
View Quote
If you are hunting with it, you should be taking it out for zero and reliability check anyway.  Just because it works in someone else's gun, doesn't mean it will work in yours.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If you are hunting with it, you should be taking it out for zero and reliability check anyway.  Just because it works in someone else's gun, doesn't mean it will work in yours.
View Quote
I will, of course, sight in and test with this load.  However, I would still like to hear other's experiences.  More data points rarely hurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top