Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2016 4:01:50 PM EDT
Alright, so I know we've all talked about this, but I don't remember seeing any actual guides on how to do it.  

That said, I do not condone doing this if you don't know what you are doing, I claim no liability for you doing this should it go wrong, this is not legal advice, please consult a doctor if your erection lasts over four hours, and jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

How to install the Volquartsen 77/22 target sear and oversized magazine release (with pictures)  Images edited to show detail not usually visible to naked eye btw.

1: Remove both the action and trigger guard/action screws.  The front action screw may be in there like a bastard.  Mine took putting the rifle in a vise and soaking the screw in kroil to break it free.
2. Lift out the trigger guard assembly starting at the rear.  It should pivot inside the magazine well.
3. Magazine release removal and install is simple.  Using a screwdriver, punch, etc push out the pin at the base of the magazine release.  Push in on the front of the mechanism to take tension off the lever.  Pull it out, put in the new one and install pin.  Easy peasy.
4. Lift action out of the stock
5. Press out the pin at the middle of the trigger.  The sear spring should come out easily with it when you remove the trigger.
6. There is a second pin that retains the sear that has a captive spring.  You can press this out from the left side without losing the captive spring so long as you stop before the pin comes falls free of the receiver.
7.  Note sear orientation before removing.
8. Put new sear in the same way and push pin back in.
9.  This is the "fun" one.  You need to remove a thousandth or two from the top of the safety pawl so it'll engage.  With the new sear it is slightly too long, honestly I'm not sure why.  Note the pawl is beveled at both the front of the "v" and across the top as it rides up under the trigger.
10. Take off a little bit at a time with needle files, put everything together, insert bolt and try safety.  If it doesn't engage in all 3 positions because it gets stuck, keep going.  If it goes all the way through easily, you might have overdone it.
11. Reassemble rifle, safety check, and enjoy your new 2# trigger and easy mag release.  Btw you can get loaded mags in on a closed bolt a lot easier now.
12. Optional but I'm going to do it once my dremel is charged.  Polish safety pawl to remove any file marks to make it smoother.  Personally I'm going to use a low abrasive like Flitz so it doesn't take much (if any) material off, just smoothes the surface.  Needle files don't leave the best surface after all.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Bumping this for now.  I'll have a set of skinner peep sights on order as soon as I finish moving, and I'll do install photos of when they arrive.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Bumping to keep out of archive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top