Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2016 10:44:04 PM EDT
Damnit Ruger.    Just ordered mine today so I could make sure I get a 357 while I could.  The rest of the email made it sound like the odds of production coming back on are pretty low though.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#1]
sucks but it was bound to happen.

The second the American Rimfire came out I knew the 77/22's days were numbered

also, while I was just looking at a 77/357 I eventually talked myself out of it wondering how long will Ruger keep these around.

Also in the 18 year production run of the 77/44 ( entered production in 1997) they've made less than 50,000 rifles.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a damn shame, so glad I picked up 77/357 when I did. Just what I need, another safe queen.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
This is sad news... the 77/357 is a great little carbine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine came in today Will be picking it up tonight.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sucks but it was bound to happen.

The second the American Rimfire came out I knew the 77/22's days were numbered

also, while I was just looking at a 77/357 I eventually talked myself out of it wondering how long will Ruger keep these around.

Also in the 18 year production run of the 77/44 ( entered production in 1997) they've made less than 50,000 rifles.

View Quote

When I saw the 77's were done, the first thing that popped into my head was if they're going to do an American 44 or 357 or something. I have an American Rimfire and also a 3006 and they're fine guns, though the 77/22 I had years ago was much smoother.

Now that Ruger makes silencers, it'd be sorta neat if they came out with a Ruger American 44 Silenced rifle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
ugh. Do a grab a 77/44 tomorrow or do I wait and hope for a Ruger American in those pistol calibers. Ugh.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ugh. Do a grab a 77/44 tomorrow or do I wait and hope for a Ruger American in those pistol calibers. Ugh.
View Quote

I want a 357 and I'm waiting.

The 77/357 is way too expensive for what it is.  Some sort of bolt action mag fed carbine length for about half the price, yeah I would buy.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:06:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Murphy's Law always kicks my ass in these situations. I would also prefer a 357 just for giggles, but, screw it, I grabbed a 77/44 from Buds, just in case.

If they do come out with an American in 357.... I'll still get it. I love my .270 and I have an RSI in 7X57. Yeah, I'm turning into a Ruger Whore now.  

I have an SBR'd Rossi Ranch hand in 357 mag that I am going to try to wack a deer with this year.

And I've always wanted to mess with .357 Maximum too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#10]
That's a shame the 77/357 and 77/44 are serious fun shooters.  Not only that but either one will put meat on the table during hunting season.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Not surprised.  I don't think the 77/357 or 77/44 were ever big sellers.  Even the 22 versions are somewhat scarce.  I have an early 77/22 (walnut, blued, sights).  

They were always a premium product and today is not a premium market.  It wouldn't surprise me if they reappear at some point in the future, at a highly inflated price tag.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I've had my 77/44 for around ten years or more now and I just got around to scoping it.  Primary Arms had a 1x4 Leupold that will supposedly fit with the Ruger low rings for two bills so I'm going to give it a shot.  While I never have really shot it much mine was always dead accurate with the little iron sights, just a fun lightweight design for the woods.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#13]
How would one of these compare to a lever action? Was looking at a lever gun to suppress, but the fact that these arent gonna be made anymore makes me want one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Rifle got delivered to gun shop today. I have to pick it up tomorrow. Now I need a scope for it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Rifle got delivered to gun shop today. I have to pick it up tomorrow. Now I need a scope for it.
View Quote

Cabelas has the basic Vortex Viper with dead hold bdc 3-9 for $190 shipped with a code right now.  Of course, I didn't know what when I bought a Crossfire 1.75-5 BDC from Sportsmans on Sunday.  

Biggest things I noticed are:
-the Volquartsen sear does wonders
-you need to polish up the safety a touch to use it though.  Took a couple thousandths off the top of the safety pawl and polished it.
-Volquartsen mag release is a drop in and is way better than stock.
-check out the scope rings for burrs before trying to mount your scope.  Mine had a touch of flash I had to hit with a needle file to get off.  Nothing major, but it would have scratched the scope if I didn't catch it.
-your front action screw may be ungodly tight from the factory.  Needed to put the rifle in a vice and hit it with kroil to break loose.  There was brass burnished onto the screw when I pulled it out (the ferrule in the stock is brass) so someone at Ruger tried to nearly friction weld it in.  
-the mags load easy, they are a big 10/22 mag, so be smart and don't jam the rounds in, and it'll work great.  
-the rifles are right below 40" for bags btw.

As a whole, I'm loving my rifle.  No range report yet as I still have to get it zeroed and life keeps getting in the way.  This week sometime I hope before it snows again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:54:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info. I'll check out that scope, I have an account over at Cabela's. Thanks for the heads up on the rings, I have lapping tools so will definitely make sure I check that out, and the other suggestions too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:46:30 AM EDT
[#18]
The only other things that come to mind I haven't tried yet. Some folks shim the bolt (it's a 2 piece) if accuracy sucks. It's something like $4 a set so why not. That and Boyd's makes stocks for these.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Great, you had to mention Boyd's. I'm working on a stock from them right now for my Rossi Ranch Hand I put on a tax stamp. And I did an impulse buy on a stock from them last Dec for my Ruger Ranch in 300blk.

I'll definitely keep track of them and if they have another sale I'll grab some wood for the 77/44 in some kind of goofy color just for giggles.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#20]
They have a dealer up here that I know. Hoping to get a discount since I want the scale checkering, etc custom on it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How would one of these compare to a lever action? Was looking at a lever gun to suppress, but the fact that these arent gonna be made anymore makes me want one.
View Quote

I cannot speak on a modern can, however maybe 15 years ago I fired one of the integrally suppressed 77/44s with full power 44 specials and I could have shot it all day no ears.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Did cursory inspection of the rifle yesterday while waiting on background check. Everything seemed fine.

Took it out of the box this morning to make sure everything was good to go, and..... fraking sights/barrel is canted to the left. Frack.

Lucky for me, I'm already in the computer at Ruger for a repair on a defective 300blk Ruger Ranch I bought last year and had to return. So UPS will pick it up tomorrow. Dammit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#23]
That is a shame to hear.  Ruger should get it back to you pretty fast though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did cursory inspection of the rifle yesterday while waiting on background check. Everything seemed fine.

Took it out of the box this morning to make sure everything was good to go, and..... fraking sights/barrel is canted to the left. Frack.

Lucky for me, I'm already in the computer at Ruger for a repair on a defective 300blk Ruger Ranch I bought last year and had to return. So UPS will pick it up tomorrow. Dammit.
View Quote

Ya' know... come to think of it, I have the same issue... thought it was my imagination. However, I bought it almost about two years ago. Perhaps I'm SOL.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 3:22:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd give them a call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top