Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2016 11:19:15 AM EDT
SO, I have been in the AR game for a long time and what to try something else.  The fist rifle I shot was a Mini 14 and always like the design.  Reminds me of an M1 carbine.  I don't care to much about flash hiders, folding stocks and hi cap mags, just want something fun to shoot like the Rancher model.  It also seems to not be something on the Govts (future) naughty list.  My question is to the experts.  What price point should I be looking for and are there any reliability issues that go with a certain manufacture date.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
SO, I have been in the AR game for a long time and what to try something else.  The fist rifle I shot was a Mini 14 and always like the design.  Reminds me of an M1 carbine.  I don't care to much about flash hiders, folding stocks and hi cap mags, just want something fun to shoot like the Rancher model.  It also seems to not be something on the Govts (future) naughty list.  My question is to the experts.  What price point should I be looking for and are there any reliability issues that go with a certain manufacture date.  Thanks!
View Quote

They run $700+ at Walmart.  My issue with them is not accepting ar mags, and accuracy is hit or miss.  Others will be along with more constructive advice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Only thing I could tell you is that the one I had from 20 years ago was good to go as long as you left it without any aftermarket add-ons. Fun and accurate at 100 yards with M193 ammo. Main thing I didn't like was the cost of mags compared to an AR.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
No help, but I've shot a few and they were fun and accurate enough. I would love to own one, but not for $700 when a $600 AR is so much better.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
So, you need more of a challenge when it comes to hitting your targets?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont do it. Expensive. Expensive mags. Heavy. Accuracy can be really crap. Scope mounting sucks. If you are worried about the .gov naughty list, you are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, I like shooting an M1 Carbine the most out of anything I have. My logic was that it would be a got compromise between an AR and the carbine...just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like the Mini is exactly what you want. Shoot it, enjoy it, be happy. You'll always get responses about how the AR is "better", but you're also posting this on a forum dedicated to ARs.
I also prefer a more traditional wood style rifle, and prefer it over the AR, though my reasons have a lot to do with where I live.
The Mini is a fine rifle if you know what to expect. Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like the Mini is exactly what you want. Shoot it, enjoy it, be happy. You'll always get responses about how the AR is "better", but you're also posting this on a forum dedicated to ARs.
I also prefer a more traditional wood style rifle, and prefer it over the AR, though my reasons have a lot to do with where I live.
The Mini is a fine rifle if you know what to expect. Have fun.
View Quote

Actually it sounds like he needs a Ares SCR lower or whatever it's called
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#9]
The Minis are fun. The iron sights are deplorable, and my Mini-14 is the most inaccurate weapon I've ever fired. It's a 15 MOA gun all day long

It was built in 84 if memory serves me right.

It won't eat steel cased ammo, but I've never had a malfunction with brass ammo.

You can get factory Ruger 20 Rd mags for $30. Aftermarket mags will not function, so don't bother trying.

It really is fun to shoot though.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got 3 ARs, 2 are mid length gas carbines (14.7" and 16") and one is a scoped A4 (20") for long range.  They're fine as ARs.  I spent basic training with an M14 back in the 60s so I'm partial to the wood and steel battle rifles so it's natural that I also have 2 M1 Garands, 2 M1 Carbines, an M1A.  So, last year I bought a NIB Mini14 583 Series Ranch Rifle.  Out of the box it's a about 2 MOA shooter, much like the M1 Garands and M1A/M14 and better than the M1 Carbines.  
ETA:  The newer 58X Series Mini14s have a thicker barrel an are much more accurate out of the box than the older, pencil barreled versions.  With my mods below, shooting my handloads, and temporarily mounting a scope, my Mini produced 1
½" groups at 100yds.  That's as good as my M1A does and significantly better than my M1 Carbines.  My iron sighted Mini is my go to gun for my favorite pastime, bowling pins at 200yds.
My plan for the Mini was as an irons only shooter much like my other battle rifles so it would not be getting optics even though it comes with rings and a Picatinny rail from Ruger. However, this is AR15.com and we don't leave anything 'as is' so after visiting the Mini forum on PerfectUnion to learn how to easily tune my new Mini, I took their advice and added/swapped the following items:
Choate Handguard swap:  $15 - Choate Handguard not only looks better
but it cools the barrel much better than Ruger's.  No, it doesn't cover the op rod but neither
does the handguard on 5.5 million M1 Garands, 6.5 million M1 Carbines, and 1.4 million
M14s.

Wilson 1911 Buffers:
$6 (set of 6) - Addition of 2 Wilson 1911 (yep, pistol) bushing, one
around the gas pipe in the front and one on the Op rod spring at the rear.  Together, they will tone down the cycling
jolts and eliminate metal to metal slamming.

Mini200 Rear Sight:
$65 - Tech Sights' Mini200 rear sight gives better irons sighting and
adjustment than Ruger's stock one.  Add
to that their $15 optional aperture package with 3 different aperture sizes and
when you use the target .042" aperture, you have a NM like rear sight.

Thinned Front Sight:
$0 - Thinning down the .075"-.077" thick front sight to
.050", combined with a target .042" rear aperture gives you a 'NM'
equivalent sight set.

Gas Bushing Reduction:  $50 - Swap of the overly large stock Gas
Bushing with a smaller one. Sets of .040", .045", .050", and
.060" are available.  My .045"
Gas Bushing reduces the cycling violence which improves accuracy on the Mini14
while the .060" version works well with the Mini30.  Shorter barreled Tactical models need a
slightly larger aperture size. (The reduced size gas bushing gives the added
benefit of reducing the distance your Mini throws brass.  Mine went from 50-60 ft NIB to 12-15 ft
currently with my handloads.)

Gas Block Torque:
$0 - We've found that torquing the gas block bolts to 30 in/lbs when
reassembling and keeping the upper and lower halve gaps consistent aides in
accuracy.

Barrel Strut:
$80 - Accu-Strut or $105 Mo-Rod, both barrel struts clamp to barrel and
gas block to both dampen barrel harmonics and aide barrel cooling.  Developed for pencil barreled where they do a
lot of good but also help a bit on the new 58X series Minis.

Light Dressing of the Sears:  $0 - Lightly polishing of the sears in the
trigger group improves trigger function.
Or step up to a Trigger Job: $55-$65 - Trigger Group job where
the first stage is shortened and second stage is lightened.  Just like a precision trigger on an AR, it
really helps your precision shooting and if you want small groups, it's money
well spent.  Not needed for plinking but
really helps decrease your group size.

Ruger Brand 20rd Magazines:  $26-$28 on sale - Yes they are a bit more,
however, they are durable and extremely reliable.  Well worth the extra few bucks over the
aftermarket versions because the flat work.

Of note for irons shooters.  Even though Ruger advertises that the Minis
have a 'normal' 13.5" LOP, I found that the 'Heel to Aperture' distance (top
of the buttstock to the rear sight aperture) on the current model Mini Ranch
Rifles measures 15.5".  This is as
opposed to a 14" Heel to Aperture distance on M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, and
M14/M1As.  

I found that this caused me to strain my neck forward trying
to gain the same sight picture I am use to with the other platforms.  As I have all three other platforms, plus
more 'irons' rifles with the same 14" distance, I found the stock Mini
rear sight awkward to use.

Adding the Techsight's great Mini200 rear sight does help a
bit as it mounts such that the aperture is moved back .5" giving one a
15" Heel to Aperture distance.
While a bit better, it still didn't feel right to me so I removed the
buttpad and cut down the birch stock 1", reattached the buttpad, and
sanded it down to meet the new buttstock profile.

This made a significant difference for me in that 1, I'm
able to hold a natural sight picture with the rear sight, and 2, with my eye
closer to the rear aperture, the use of a smaller aperture helps increase the
DoF giving me a clearer view of the front sight and target; something us more
'seasoned' shooter need.

Compares nicely with my other walnut and steel mil rifles.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#12]
All of the items in the above post are fine if you want to do them, but you don't have to do them to the newer guns.
If you get one made in the last 6-8 years the accuracy issues of the past are gone.
The 58x series have a new barrel design along with other features.

Reliability was never an issue with the Mini 14 as long as you have good mags.
That basically means factory mags, but the new 20rd Promags have been good in my experience.

I was looking for a used late model in stainless a few weeks ago, and it looks like you would be better off buying new.
New ones in the south can be had for  ~$700.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The important thing not mentioned above is that the wooden-stocked Minis always benefit by being re-stocked into a tighter-fitting synthetic stock,  This alone may not solve your accuracy problems altogether, but it is a great first step.

View Quote

Actually, all one needs to do is shim the wood stock so the action fits tight in the stock before you lock in the trigger group.  Also, check to make sure the stock isn't rubbing or pressing on the barrel in a single spot.  A couple of pieces of tin placed between the stock and metal stock reinforcement in the area of the magwell and held in by the screw on each side made my wood stocked Mini action fit really tight even before I locked in the Trigger group.  Many of the aftermarket synthetic stocks have a looser fit than the Ruger one.  Another dramatic increase in accuracy is getting a trigger job so reduce the travel and lower the weight.  A long, gritty, heavy trigger pull makes it nigh impossible to produce tight groups.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

All of the items in the above post are fine if you want to do them, but you don't have to do them to the newer guns.

If you get one made in the last 6-8 years the accuracy issues of the past are gone.

The 58x series have a new barrel design along with other features.

Reliability was never an issue with the Mini 14 as long as you have good mags.

That basically means factory mags, but the new 20rd Promags have been good in my experience.

I was looking for a used late model in stainless a few weeks ago, and it looks like you would be better off buying new.

New ones in the south can be had for  ~$700.

View Quote

By in large, this is true, however, if you want to get a bit more precision; i.e. take it from a 2 MOA shooter to a near 1 MOA shooter these all will help.  They did for my NIB 2015, 583 Series Ranch Rifle pictured above.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:47:09 AM EDT
[#16]

If you get an older Mini, make sure you find out what the barrel twist and use the right round before you declare it inaccurate.  Fortunately, this isn't hard to do.  Figure out what series your rifle is, Google it, and then you're all set.

I got a Mini from another member here as part of a trade.  I don't remember what series it was, but it had a 1:7 twist with a SS barrel.  I had a cheap-o Burris scope on it, and added a flash suppressor and an Accu-Stut.  I fed it 69 grain Prvi ammo, and as I recall, I could get about 3-4 moa out of it.  Not spectacular, but then again, I never claimed to be the world's greatest shooter.  I was a little frustrated with the horizontal stringing.  The rounds seemed to be in a more or less straight line...a 3-4 MOA straight line.  

The gun came with USA mags.  I believe they were 30 rounders.  I must be the luckiest man alive, because the mags worked perfectly.  I ended up getting rid of the gun because I couldn't wait to get funds to finish converting my Saiga.  I had 2 AR's at the time, and the Mini just didn't do anything better than the AR's.  It wasn't a TERRIBLE gun, it was just the easiest to part with.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never been a fan of the mini14 but WANT!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#20]
raf is correct, however, you'll also note that my Mini is a new series with the thicker barrel and with the mods listed above it produces near 1 MOA results; plenty accurate enough for me.  According to the Mfg, the single unit aides mostly in heat dissipation but does provide some harmonic dampening as well.  Many on PU claim that the thicker barreled Minis don't even need an Accu-Strut which may be the case.  I confess that I got it primarily because I like the look of it better than without it.  It gives the front end a more complete look to my eye.
My favorite use for my Mini is shooting bowling pins at 200 yds.  They are a favorite as I shoot at them with my M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and M1A, all with iron peep sights as well. While I have rifles with scopes, I've always been a plinker and just prefer peep type irons, especially with small rear apertures for precision.  Yes, I've tried red dots and EOtechs but I always come back to small aperture irons setups.  In addition, I've never been a fan of paper targets and much prefer shooting at reactive targets at random ranges.  That's how I learned to shoot way back in the dark ages; just after I invented dirt.  I learned on pine cones, dirt clods, leaves, etc., as a kid and have always preferred to plink that way over shooting at fixed range targets.  We didn't use targets except to sight in a rifle and then it was plinking from there on.  To me shooting at targets for groups is boring, however, YMMV.
I like the bowling pins because they are cheap (usually free), easy to see out to 300yds with my older eyes, and because they are challenging because of their shape.  At their widest point (4+"), they are 2 MOA targets at 200 yds but due to their shape, the sweet spot is less that 4" high which makes them mostly 1 MOA or less.  So, even though they are some 15" high, they are actually pretty small targets at 200 yds as they taper quickly.  So shooting them is challenging with iron sights but that's the fun.  As I've been shooting them for well over 50 yrs, I do fine on them.  In fact, recently, I've started to give the bowling pins a go at 300 yds with my Mini and M1A, both with NM sights.  That's a real challenge as it's a near 1 MOA target at that range at it's sweet spot and sub MOA over most of it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a mini 10 years ago. Was a nice handling rifle, but that was it. Pie plate targets at 75 yards, would eject the spent round plus the top one or two rounds in the mag at the same time, rear sight constantly broke off with simple range use.

That said, I wish I'd kept it for nostalgic reasons.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bad mags explain a lot of this.  First time I've heard of a Mini rear sight  "constantly broke off".  Like 'em or not, Mini rear sights are pretty stout in my experience.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a mini 10 years ago. Was a nice handling rifle, but that was it. Pie plate targets at 75 yards, would eject the spent round plus the top one or two rounds in the mag at the same time, rear sight constantly broke off with simple range use.

Bad mags explain a lot of this.  First time I've heard of a Mini rear sight  "constantly broke off".  Like 'em or not, Mini rear sights are pretty stout in my experience.

Factory rear peep sight was a flip up plastic sight. Flip it up and down a few times and the plastic would snap. Had to reorder the entire rear sight assembly to repair.
This was before I knew about the internet otherwise would have been able to order a stouter model.

Edit: only mags I had were the factory included mags.

I do actually wish I'd kept it, if anything because it was my first ever rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Understood about the rear sight now that you have clarified.  As you no longer have the thing, it's impossible to determine the cause of the other problem.  As mentioned, Ruger mags are almost always GTG, but I suppose there are a few defective units.  Did your Mini have a metal stock reinforcement (visible screws on the sides of the stock?).  Were the mags difficult to insert and/or remove?  Did the empty mags drop free without assistance?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Factory rear peep sight was a flip up plastic sight. Flip it up and down a few times and the plastic would snap. Had to reorder the entire rear sight assembly to repair.
This was before I knew about the internet otherwise would have been able to order a stouter model.

Edit: only mags I had were the factory included mags.

I do actually wish I'd kept it, if anything because it was my first ever rifle.

Understood about the rear sight now that you have clarified.  As you no longer have the thing, it's impossible to determine the cause of the other problem.  As mentioned, Ruger mags are almost always GTG, but I suppose there are a few defective units.  Did your Mini have a metal stock reinforcement (visible screws on the sides of the stock?).  Were the mags difficult to insert and/or remove?  Did the empty mags drop free without assistance?

I honestly don't remember. I remember the mags had to catch on the pin in the magwell so you had to rock them in. Kinda like an AK.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Mini mags, like M14 mags, don't drop free because they are held in place
by a front pin.  That's why you have to insert them at an angle and
rock them back to lock into place.  It's not a defect, it's their design.  The front pin holds the front of the mag and the mag catch in the rear holds the rear.  They were designed that way because there was a concern that the heavy 20rd M14 mags needed a front
support pin.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Just came across this thread and i've been slowly looking and doing research in regards to the Mini 14. I know nothing about them but of course have heard the accuracy isn't great but that it may have gotten better with the newer models? I went through a divorce last year and had to sell the AR's (two colts) and to Arsenal SGL21's along with my Ruger GSR. I would like to start replacing them with something and the mini 14 caught my eye since i've heard they're pretty reliable, is this true? Or try and start getting a couple of AR's together?

Trying not to derail the thread.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#30]
The new mini's are great and fun little carbines. I own about everything you could own at one time or another. My 581 mini is in the top 5 that I like to take too the range. BUY RUGER MAGS . Wardawg
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just came across this thread and i've been slowly looking and doing research in regards to the Mini 14. I know nothing about them but of course have heard the accuracy isn't great but that it may have gotten better with the newer models? I went through a divorce last year and had to sell the AR's (two colts) and to Arsenal SGL21's along with my Ruger GSR. I would like to start replacing them with something and the mini 14 caught my eye since i've heard they're pretty reliable, is this true? Or try and start getting a couple of AR's together?

Trying not to derail the thread.
View Quote

I have a Mini-14 I like, one of the newer ones with improved accuracy. In your position though, I would buy a kit from PSA and a stripped lower and put an AR together. As nice as a mini is, the AR is a superior rifle IMO. Quality mags are cheaper, spare parts are cheaper and a bit easier to obtain and so on.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Hedging my bets, I just bought a pistol grip free Mini Ranch Rifle in 6.8 SPC.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hedging my bets, I just bought a pistol grip free Mini Ranch Rifle in 6.8 SPC.
View Quote

Interesting round. I have an AR bolt and barrel in 6.8 somewhere, let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#35]
If you come across a target model thats a good one. Mines is a good 1-1.5 moa with handloads. I havent even messed with that weight thing on the  front yet or done anything else to it.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:29:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you come across a target model thats a good one. Mines is a good 1-1.5 moa with handloads. I havent even messed with that weight thing on the  front yet or done anything else to it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/ARsR4ME/rugger006.jpg
View Quote

Adjusting the harmonic damper on the end of the barrel should shrink those groups even more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I wan to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread.  I've been looking at used Mini-14s at the local Cabela's and nearly bought one.  But better judgment prevailed, where I figured I ought to read up on them not having much base knowledge.  You all have had my mind changed about the models to look for and to avoid, as well as the costs of upgrading.  

A question:  How can I quickly tell the differences between the models?  Is there a variation in the serial number prefixes?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#38]
The first 3 numbers of the serial number
180 series
581 series
Serial number will look like 186-12345
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Another way to quickly tell a newer model from an older one is to look at the barrel directly in front of the gas block.  If it tapers down in the first ¾" it's the newer thick barreled version while if it's thin and equal diameter the first 1" then it's the older 'pencil' barreled versions.  Then you just look at the left hand side of the receiver for the s/n with the 3 digit model number proceeding it.  It will say 18X or 19X for the older style and 58X for the newer. There are exceptions, the first couple thousand 580 series released use the older style, pencil barrel and the new Tactical Mini 30 and Mini 300 BOs currently being built have a thicker barrel than the current 583 series models but without a taper.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I like the new Tactical Model Mini-14s and Mini-30s. If you like shooting M1 Carbines then buy one !
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I think anything with 580 or higher in the serial number is going to be the new thicker barrel.
(I wouldn't recommend a gun older than that.)

Buy it and shoot it.
You may find that you don't need to do anything at all to it to have a reliable, accurate carbine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think anything with 580 or higher in the serial number is going to be the new thicker barrel.
(I wouldn't recommend a gun older than that.)

Buy it and shoot it.
You may find that you don't need to do anything at all to it to have a reliable, accurate carbine.
View Quote

I've learned quite a lot, especially about the preference of the 580 series Mini 14s.  Planting tongue firmly in cheek, it seems as if the accuracy of many of the older versions might not be described by MOA, but by MOBD, which is Minute Of Barn Door.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a later model 581.  It's not terribly accurate but has been as reliable as an AK with thousands of rounds of ammo.  Not one jam and a lot of Wolf.

I've posted about it in this forum with some real accuracy information.  I still like it.  Won't take it to a high power match.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have a later model 581.  It's not terribly accurate but has been as reliable as an AK with thousands of rounds of ammo.  Not one jam and a lot of Wolf.

I've posted about it in this forum with some real accuracy information.  I still like it.  Won't take it to a high power match.
View Quote

Expecting any kind of accuracy and using Wolf ammo is like trying to win the Indianapolis 500 in a stock Yugo.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wan to thank everyone for their contributions to this thread.  I've been looking at used Mini-14s at the local Cabela's and nearly bought one.  But better judgment prevailed, where I figured I ought to read up on them not having much base knowledge.  You all have had my mind changed about the models to look for and to avoid, as well as the costs of upgrading.  

A question:  How can I quickly tell the differences between the models?  Is there a variation in the serial number prefixes?
View Quote

Honestly used is really the way to go. Most will not shoot any firearm enough to cause much wear, Ruger will take care of you if you buy used and have a problem, either for free or little money, and the Mini-14 seems to bring a premium new these days. If buying used a newer rifle with the 581 serial range would be preferable due to the improved barrel, but if you can get a 18X range cheap enough go with that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#47]
The prices I've seen locally for used are almost as high, and in some cases higher than what you can get a NIB from Bud's Guns shipped to your door.  Based upon those prices here in the Denver area, I recommend buying new so you can get the specific model you want, have a known new condition, and start fresh without any surprises.  Yes, Ruger's CS is good, however, if the last owner has bubba'd it at all, Ruger will charge you to return it to stock or not even work on it. 
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#48]
My dad shot a one hole group with his Mini 14 at 50 yards.  He was 71 at the time.  What is the big deal?  

Edit to add: 5 rounds.

BTW, I am mid 40s with 20/15 vision, uncorrected.

Quoted:

My Mini-14 experience has been derived from an earlier pencil-barreled model, and all my comments should be taken in that light.  I applaud your mods to the new/improved Mini wholeheartedly.

Your effective use of iron sights at well  "well over 50 years" is remarkable.   One would be fair in assuming your current age at 60 years or more. Most shooters find that iron sights become progressively unusable as the shooter ages past, say, age 35 or so.  Your using iron sights at such ranges, without optical aids,is very remarkable.

In my personal experience, most people suffer inevitable and irreversible eye deterioration from about age 35 or so.  As a matter of fact, one's eye doctor, after age 35, can tell your age by the deterioration of one's eyes

With all due respect, I have a hard time believing that you, at about 60 years of age, can use iron sights on any rifle accurately.

Perhaps there is something I'm missing, and I hope you will educate me.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't know... my 582 is pretty accurate. I wouldn't take it to a match, but then again match accuracy doesn't translate to a real world need either...

I have 2 14s and a 30. The 14's factory mags are fine, striking the 10 rounders. I'm not sure if they've fixed them, but the design of the 10s use to be different than that of the 5s and 20s. The bit above about aftermarket mags not working is nonsense. The steel 20rd ProMags have worked flawlessly for me. I have 4 in rotation and have never had an issue.

Yep, I'm a Mini fanboy. They're built like a tank, reminiscent of the old m1 garand, reliable, and fairly accurate.  You'll always find the Mini haters on this forum because for a long time the Mini was cheaper than the base-level AR and that was a major selling point you'd hear. So naturally, the AR fanboys rag on it constantly as if it's some sort of competition.  Sorry, guys... no matter how tricked out you make your AR, it will only ever have a fraction of the visual and functional character of a Mini-14. That's just reality.

Oh and I've built multiple ARs and am currently working on a 6.8 variant, so I like ARs, too. They're two different firearms with 2 different intended purposes. That being said, if you can... find a place that will let you rent one and shoot it. You should make up your own mind. If you're looking for more positive opinions of the Mini, I suggest looking for a forum dedicated to Rugers.  You'll find A LOT of negativity towards minis here.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I have to agree with gytheran.  I'm 69 and have been shooting irons for over 60yrs.  While my eyes aren't as good as they once were, I'm still able to see decently using the enhanced Depth of Field advantages of a small, target aperture held close to my eye.  That's why my Mini and M1A have .042" apertures in their 'NM' sights.  I've also thinned the front sight on my Mini from .077" to .050" as well giving me a superior sight picture.  So, with the mods I've performed to my 583 Series Ranch Rifle and shooting quality handloads tuned to it, it's a decently accurate, close to 1MOA rifle, enough so that it's a great 200yd bowling pin buster.  No, the Mini's design isn't as inherently accurate as the AR platform but then neither is a National Match M1 Garand or M1A either and no one calls them inaccurate.  It's a function of the basic design of the M1 action vs the AR's coupled with the ergonomics advantages of the AR platform.

Any Mini in good condition, with a few tweaks shooting accurate ammo (not cheap bargain basement or commie junk ammo) should be expected to shoot 1 MOA -1½MOA.  Mine does and some shoot sub MOA. So, at our longer range shoots our 12" steel plate targets at 400yds get 'rung' regularly with either my 'NM' sighted standard M1A or 'NM' sighted Mini-14 on a calm wind day with my handloads for each.  It just takes practice as it's not that difficult if you are use to shooting long range which most people aren't.  However, as well over 90% of all my irons shooting is 200-300yds, I'm comfortable with stretching things out to the 400+yd ranges shooting at steel.  I like the challenge of "aim small to hit small" so that's how I practice.  When I was younger, I'd try to go out farther but the truth is that age is catching up and 400 yds is now getting to be the limit of what I can see clearly enough to shoot at without optics help.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top