Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2016 4:19:11 PM EDT
Anyone ever added iron sights to their Ruger American?  This is for a 308, I'm interested in converting it as a project gun.

I read on a web site one person who did it, but the front sight was incredibly tall.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Best solution if you really need iron sights on a rifle like that is to take it to a competent gunsmith and have drill and tap the barrel for front and rear sights.  Then they should be able to add whatever kind of sights you want as long as they fit the barrel contour.  Doing it yourself will probably result in less than desirable results.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]
NECG makes some sweet barrel band front sights that a gunsmith could add on. Just measure the muzzle diameter and buy the corresponding size.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best solution if you really need iron sights on a rifle like that is to take it to a competent gunsmith and have drill and tap the barrel for front and rear sights.  Then they should be able to add whatever kind of sights you want as long as they fit the barrel contour.  Doing it yourself will probably result in less than desirable results.
View Quote

I addition to what has been said, in order to get the proper sight height, a smith may have to screw / solder on a block on the end of the barrel for a front dovetail sight. If you've ever had to deal with a crooked FSB on an AR, imagine how annoying it can be on a bolt gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top