Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2016 9:03:21 AM EDT
I have a question. I have been looking at the Ruger american ranch rifle(the bolt action) for a while now. It seems that the 5.56 NATO version doesn't have a shoulder at the muzzle like the 300blkout version. Since i haven't been able to look at one in person i cant tell for sure. Can any one that has one confirm this? If it doesn't, do you think it is still safe to mount a suppressor on it? We are thinking of getting one for my little sister for her birthday. How is the accuracy of the 5.56 NATO an the 300blkout? Has anyone tried the 80gr and 90gr .224 bullets in the 5.56NATO version, if so, how was the accuracy? Has anyone tried one of the boyds stocks for the gun? Does anyone make a 20moa base for this gun? How are the magazines holding up, are they still having the feeding problems or had ruger fixed them?

Like always. If you have any picture can you please post then.

Thank you to anyone that can answer any of these questions.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The 556 Ranch has a suppressor suitable shoulder. I run a SilencerCo Harvester on mine. I have the 300 Ranch as well, both are great hosts. I posted in another thread about the impressive accuracy my 556 Ranch delivers (using 55 grain Hornady soft point bullets with cannelure and IMR 4895). My wife recently shot a sub MOA group (3 shots not 5) using 208 grain AMAX with A1680 using the 300 Ranch.

One of the factory mags doesn't feed well but it is the early shiny plastic version. The later version is a dull finish and feeds perfectly in both rifles.

Look at DNZ Game Reaper mounts for a 20 MOA base. They are my favorite scope mounts for all of my traditional rifles.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 556 Ranch has a suppressor suitable shoulder. I run a SilencerCo Harvester on mine. I have the 300 Ranch as well, both are great hosts. I posted in another thread about the impressive accuracy my 556 Ranch delivers (using 55 grain Hornady soft point bullets with cannelure and IMR 4895). My wife recently shot a sub MOA group (3 shots not 5) using 208 grain AMAX with A1680 using the 300 Ranch.

One of the factory mags doesn't feed well but it is the early shiny plastic version. The later version is a dull finish and feeds perfectly in both rifles.

Look at DNZ Game Reaper mounts for a 20 MOA base. They are my favorite scope mounts for all of my traditional rifles.
View Quote

Thank you. I didnt see any 20moa bases from DNZ. That is great that they designed the magazine. I am glad to hear you enjoy yours and they are both accurate.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:51:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I found these two mounts when looking. Huge difference in price

http://warnescopemounts.com/product/m684-20moa-ruger-american-centerfire-short-action-tactical-rail-20moa-matte/

http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts/ruger-american-short-action-scope-mount-20-moa/

Then i found this article:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/05/tyler-kee/just-arrived-ruger-american-rifle-predator-in-6-5-creedmoor/

He doesnt list the bases he tried but he says because of the unusual hole spacing on the receiver that one piece scope mounts cant be used on the Ruger american rifles. I wonder if ruger adressed this or if this is still the case as google image doesnt turn up many ruger american rifles not using the factory scope base.

I wonder if you can get the top rail to work from the Ruger Precision rifle as that is based on Ruger american action.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

http://warnescopemounts.com/product/m684-20moa-ruger-american-centerfire-short-action-tactical-rail-20moa-matte/

http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts/ruger-american-short-action-scope-mount-20-moa/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/05/tyler-kee/just-arrived-ruger-american-rifle-predator-in-6-5-creedmoor/

He doesnt list the bases he tried but he says because of the unusual hole spacing on the receiver that one piece scope mounts cant be used on the Ruger american rifles. I wonder if ruger adressed this or if this is still the case as google image doesnt turn up many ruger american rifles not using the factory scope base.

I wonder if you can get the top rail to work from the Ruger Precision rifle as that is based on Ruger american action.
View Quote

The Warne or EGW will work fine, just add the rings of your choice but keep them as low as possible. I run the low height DNZ Game reaper (#10280) and I still feel like it is slightly too high with the factory stock. For reference, I'm using a 4-12x40 Nikon Buckmaster II on three of my American rifles. It's a great scope for a budget rifle but that's a whole different topic.

The factory Ruger rail has a few of the cross-slots cut in random places due to accommodating the receiver hole pattern. The Warne mount addresses this by keeping the slot spacing correct and letting the mount holes scallop the rail wherever they need to be. The EGW rail addresses this by not running the cross-slots the full width of the rail. This leaves the center open for the bolt holes to go anywhere they need to be. Either will be a good choice if you need a 20 MOA base.

Even if the RPR top rail fits I assume it will be prohibitively high with the factory stock. I've shot the RPR in .308 a few times but couldn't compare the mount hole spacing with my American Predator .308 due to scopes being mounted. Maybe someone else has knowledge of this.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Warne or EGW will work fine, just add the rings of your choice but keep them as low as possible. I run the low height DNZ Game reaper (#10280) and I still feel like it is slightly too high with the factory stock. For reference, I'm using a 4-12x40 Nikon Buckmaster II on three of my American rifles. It's a great scope for a budget rifle but that's a whole different topic.

The factory Ruger rail has a few of the cross-slots cut in random places due to accommodating the receiver hole pattern. The Warne mount addresses this by keeping the slot spacing correct and letting the mount holes scallop the rail wherever they need to be. The EGW rail addresses this by not running the cross-slots the full width of the rail. This leaves the center open for the bolt holes to go anywhere they need to be. Either will be a good choice if you need a 20 MOA base.

Even if the RPR top rail fits I assume it will be prohibitively high with the factory stock. I've shot the RPR in .308 a few times but couldn't compare the mount hole spacing with my American Predator .308 due to scopes being mounted. Maybe someone else has knowledge of this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. I was worried that it would mess up the scope placement. Hopefully i can pick one one soon.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I just thought of a pretty important question. What is the maximum C.O.A.L that can feed from the magazines?
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like 2.292" is the consensus. I run 55 grain soft points at 2.200" so it hasn't been a concern for me. I've seen discussions about modifying the mag to run the 75 grain A-Max but have no information about it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like 2.292" is the consensus. I run 55 grain soft points at 2.200" so it hasn't been a concern for me. I've seen discussions about modifying the mag to run the 75 grain A-Max but have no information about it.
View Quote

Thank you. I forgot about this thread ever since i picked up my S&W M&P 9. Frankly, if i was to pick up the 5.56 NATO version i would like to run the 80gr SMK bullets to take advantage of the 1-8 twist. Maybe one day i could get a boyds stock for it and a  CDI bottem metal. But that is well down the road and no time soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top