Posted: 8/13/2016 9:17:44 PM EDT
Anyone know anything about these?

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
How accurate are they?

I've heard not very. Don't know why.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Really looks like my Ruger 10/22 with blued barrel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Indeed, but it's .44
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Indeed, but it's .44
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, but it's .44

Good reliable design I see no reason it shouldn't work in other calibers. How does she shoot?
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Good reliable design I see no reason it shouldn't work in other calibers. How does she shoot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, but it's .44

Haven't shot it...passed down to my dad from his uncle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I use mine for Deer hunting in the UP of Mi. Low power scope, use the Hornady Leverevolution bullets, good to 100 yrds.  Killed a big 200lb(field dressed) 8 pointer,(big for my area, no farms, woodland whitetails. Light, short-easy to handle in the thick woods and in a tree stand.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#7]
good rifle must use full power loads to reliable function, has killed many deer.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#8]
My dad owns and uses one. Seems accurate enough to 50 yards , as his is used in tight cover.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#9]
If I could get my hands on one I'd buy it.
It's a shame Ruger doesn't make these anyome
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#10]
POS I will take it of your hands for $100.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got one of the newer versions, the Deerfield (2000-2006). These type guns are perfect woods deer/hog guns. They are light, handy and accurate.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Surprisingly, the 10/22 was patterned after this original Ruger 44mag carbine as it came out before the 10/22 in the early 60s.  

As to a current version, Ruger stopped making the Deerfield version using modified Mini-14 style receiver in the early 2000s.  I've tried to convince Ruger to develop a 357mag version of it but they haven't responded.  I think one in 357mag would be a great addition to anyone's collection, especially if they could develop a 10-20rd mag version using what they know building the Mini-30 mags.  It would be a great addition giving it a 'Super M1 Carbine' like design with the extremely versatile 357mag.  

I have a couple of 357mag leverguns and I can confirm that it's a great caliber. You can go from 90grn, 900fps mouse fart plinking rds to 35cal 200grn, 1800fps heavy hitting slugs.  My load is a Zero 158grn JSP over a full charge of H110 powder producing near 2,000fps in my Rossi lever.  Buffalo Bore claims that their Heavy 357mag 158grn ammo produces 2,153fps out of a 18.5" Marlin levergun.  That performance is equal to a bottom end 150grn class 30-30 so medium, deer sized animals at ranges up to 100-125yds are also doable.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Surprisingly, the 10/22 was patterned after this original Ruger 44mag carbine as it came out before the 10/22 in the early 60s.  

As to a current version, Ruger stopped making the Deerfield version using modified Mini-14 style receiver in the early 2000s.  I've tried to convince Ruger to develop a 357mag version of it but they haven't responded.  I think one in 357mag would be a great addition to anyone's collection, especially if they could develop a 10-20rd mag version using what they know building the Mini-30 mags.  It would be a great addition giving it a 'Super M1 Carbine' like design with the extremely versatile 357mag.  

I have a couple of 357mag leverguns and I can confirm that it's a great caliber. You can go from 90grn, 900fps mouse fart plinking rds to 35cal 200grn, 1800fps heavy hitting slugs.  My load is a Zero 158grn JSP over a full charge of H110 powder producing near 2,000fps in my Rossi lever.  Buffalo Bore claims that their Heavy 357mag 158grn ammo produces 2,153fps out of a 18.5" Marlin levergun.  That performance is equal to a bottom end 150grn class 30-30 so medium, deer sized animals at ranges up to 100-125yds are also doable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never knew that for Ruger. Although I never have researched their history. Yet I will now. Although would love a lever in .357mag and have looked at the Henry's for it because of price and history of the company.  Although I did just see that Henry just released a lever action .223 so might it get yet most I shoot are the 5.56 which technically will fire off in a .223 just different pressures for how long the camber lasts. And the tests are still debatable on that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Killed my first deer with one, about 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Keep the bullet weight below 270gr, it does not like the longer heavier bullets due to rifle twist. Anything from 225gr to 270gr full power loads will work. Watch for the stock split, and if possible, get a buffer. I've taken mine hunting with a 2-7x scope, but didn't see anything until it was just after dark and I couldn't judge the distance very well, so I passed on a buck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I could get my hands on one I'd buy it.
It's a shame Ruger doesn't make these anyome
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Had one many years ago.Like every firearm I have ever sold,I regretted selling it.Accurate enough for deer -a pie plate at 100 yards.The barrel band would occasionally loosen up after firing a few rounds.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Marine buddy had one in the 1980's .He deer hunted with it. He had a full freezer of deer meat ...
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't really believe I am following what you are looking for? The 357, 45 and 44 lever guns and carbines have a wonderful versatility but lots of that is lost when you go to semi auto which pretty much needs to be set up for one power level . The rimmed cartridges are problematic when you try to make them work in a stacked magazine instead of the tube of the lever. Ruger used a rotary but capacity is limited . The Ruger rotary could be dropped and a loaded mag inserted so the gun still loads way faster than a lever.

I never fired a 44 Ruger but I once had a Ruger police carbine in 9mm. The idea of a M1 carbine action in 9 sounded good but the Ruger version had a nasty horrible and very heavy trigger . The gun also had a very heavy bolt and was surprisingly hard to keep on track with  rapid fire shooting.

The idea of a semi auto carbine in 357 or 44 is interesting but getting a good one into production with the features that folks want and at a popular price gets tricky.

Marlin at one point made a "camp carbine"  that was offered in 9 and 45 (I believe) . They were always a bit pricey so you never saw many around and about the time Marlin stopped production for lack of sales the price of used ones went off the chart.

Beratta had carbine that could be had in 9 or 40S&W (was 45acp offered also?) but again they were a bit expensive for a fun gun , not sure if they are still available.

I wound up with a Marlin lever in 44 mag and a rossi in 357 that are both really great guns . I moan and complain that they are slow to load but everything else about them is so good I am really OK
The Ruger was recommended to only use jacketed , some folks claimed they got cast to work , others found the lead would jamb up the gas system
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:51:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I killed my first deer with a Ruger 44 carbine, in about 1978 or so.  I tried 3 or 4 factory loads, plus tried my handloads.  It shot best with Federal 180 JHPs, and they killed that little fork horn buck just fine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I picked one up that has the magazine tube instead of the detachable magazine, and it has the Williams peep sight.  I freakin love this gun.  I've killed a deer with it the last two years.  I was sighting it in, just today, and put 30 rounds down range.  I am shooting either American Eagle 240 grain JSP, or handloaded Magnus 240 JSP bullets over a healthy dose of W-296.  I put three shots in a 3" group at 100 yards.

Hunting with this gun, it is super handy.  My favorite long gun to hunt with.  I've read that it is designed to shoot 240 grain bullets, and don't use lead, the gas system doesn't like it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't really believe I am following what you are looking for? The 357, 45 and 44 lever guns and carbines have a wonderful versatility but lots of that is lost when you go to semi auto which pretty much needs to be set up for one power level . The rimmed cartridges are problematic when you try to make them work in a stacked magazine instead of the tube of the lever. Ruger used a rotary but capacity is limited . The Ruger rotary could be dropped and a loaded mag inserted so the gun still loads way faster than a lever.

I never fired a 44 Ruger but I once had a Ruger police carbine in 9mm. The idea of a M1 carbine action in 9 sounded good but the Ruger version had a nasty horrible and very heavy trigger . The gun also had a very heavy bolt and was surprisingly hard to keep on track with  rapid fire shooting.

The idea of a semi auto carbine in 357 or 44 is interesting but getting a good one into production with the features that folks want and at a popular price gets tricky.

Marlin at one point made a "camp carbine"  that was offered in 9 and 45 (I believe) . They were always a bit pricey so you never saw many around and about the time Marlin stopped production for lack of sales the price of used ones went off the chart.

Beratta had carbine that could be had in 9 or 40S&W (was 45acp offered also?) but again they were a bit expensive for a fun gun , not sure if they are still available.

I wound up with a Marlin lever in 44 mag and a rossi in 357 that are both really great guns . I moan and complain that they are slow to load but everything else about them is so good I am really OK
The Ruger was recommended to only use jacketed , some folks claimed they got cast to work , others found the lead would jamb up the gas system
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rifle was fed via a fixed 4-shot tubular magazine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Shoot with full power (magnum) loads and jacketed or semi-jacketed bullets.  If you get a 2-3" grouping at 50-75 yards you should be good at 100 yards.  It's a great little gun will work fine on deer and hogs.  If you're shooting hogs I would lean towards using the 240 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deerstalker* / .44 Carbine (1961-1985) = Tubular magazine

Deerfield or 99/44 (2000-2006) = Rotary magazine

* Anyone remember why the “Deerstalker” moniker was dropped  early in the life of that carbine?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

* Anyone remember why the “Deerstalker” moniker was dropped  early in the life of that carbine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC Ithaca had the rights to that name.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm old enough to remember when I saw the magazine ads in Sports Afield.  It showed a guy posing with the rifle and a gorilla he had shot.  Man that would be a complete no go in this day and age.  I had one that I  bought in about 1969.  Great short range "brush gun"  I remember mine had a 2X Weave scope on it.  The only thing I didn't like about it was breaking it down to clean it.  It was a bit of a bear to put back together.  Wish I hadn't sold it so I could buy a mini 14.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had one for about fifteen years, taken over a dozen deer with it.  240gr XTP over a stout load of H110, an old Weaver 4x on top.  From a bench it will shoot inside of a 3" orange bullseye at 100 yards.

The trigger housing is alloy, and if it cracks the gun won't feed.  I put a new recoil spring in about five years ago, never had any problems.

If I can find another one under $500 I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm old enough to remember when I saw the magazine ads in Sports Afield.  It showed a guy posing with the rifle and a gorilla he had shot.  Man that would be a complete no go in this day and age.  I had one that I  bought in about 1969.  Great short range "brush gun"  I remember mine had a 2X Weave scope on it.  The only thing I didn't like about it was breaking it down to clean it.  It was a bit of a bear to put back together.  Wish I hadn't sold it so I could buy a mini 14.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I love my Deerfield but many folks want the carbine to have a higher mag capacity. What Ruger needs to do is offer a new version in 44 auto mag or 50 Winchester mag as both are rimless case cartridges that would lend themselves well to such a design. If Ruger went to one of the big ammo companies and partnered with them, it could be done. Of course us reloaders would be happy even without such a partnership.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/sigp220/Picture1212.jpg

Right on that's the ad.!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I love my Deerfield but many folks want the carbine to have a higher mag capacity. What Ruger needs to do is offer a new version in 44 auto mag or 50 Winchester mag as both are rimless case cartridges that would lend themselves well to such a design. If Ruger went to one of the big ammo companies and partnered with them, it could be done. Of course us reloaders would be happy even without such a partnership.
View Quote

About ten or fifteen years ago I saw an article in Guns magazine, someone (I want to say Robbie Barkman or Hamilton Bowen) converted a tube fed .44 carbine to .50 AE.  Never saw anything about it after that article.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I used mine for javelina, and it was more accurate than a pistol...would it replace a Rem 700? Nope, but it's light as hell, and handy!
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes they can be good little carbines. I have had 3 or 4 of them 2-3 inches at 100 is normal. They do knock down deer and hogs. Practice with them. Getting hard to find good ones.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:32:34 AM EDT
[#35]
All I know about them is Mark Essex used one to ambush cops in the early 1970's.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:31:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Mine is a 4 digit SN that says deer stalker
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:19:27 AM EDT
[#37]
I graduated high school in the spring of 1978 and bought a 10/22 and a pair of binoculars with all the cash one gets with their cards.

So the following year I had the cash and really was this close --> <-- to buying a Deerstalker. I wanted one so bad I could taste it. But I knew I'd have a hard time talking mom into "buying" the ammo I knew I would need to feed it.

So I bought an AR15 (SP1) instead.

Never have gotten that Deerstalker.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#39]
I remember my uncle had one in the early 90's that his mom had given him because it was broke and she could not find anyone to fix it.  If I remember correctly Ruger took it and gave him a credit toward another one of their products.  I don't think it was more than $200 bucks but it was better to him than a rifle that did not work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#40]

My first deer hunting gun, bought from Sears in 1977
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#41]
I would love if Ruger reintroduced these. An old hunting buddy had one and it was about the damn best brush gun I have ever held. I grew up with a 10/22 so it felt really natural, and they are more than accurate enough for Florida distances. Remember the Gorilla advertisements? Ruger had ads with a dead lowland gorilla back in the day for this rifle, crazy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Had one from the late 70's to mid '80's.  It was stolen the Saturday before Christmas, 1986.  I still mourn the loss of that gun..... 

It was a great little shooter, even with full powered .44 mags (all that I fired with it).  While I never shot a deer with it, it took out FL hogs pretty easy.  People in my hunting club in FL, including my old boss, used them with great affect for deer.

I think I'm gonna see if @Axl can find me one, now that you brought it up......
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Had one from the late 70's to mid '80's.  It was stolen the Saturday before Christmas, 1986.  I still mourn the loss of that gun..... 

It was a great little shooter, even with full powered .44 mags (all that I fired with it).  While I never shot a deer with it, it took out FL hogs pretty easy.  People in my hunting club in FL, including my old boss, used them with great affect for deer.

I think I'm gonna see if @Axl can find me one, now that you brought it up......
View Quote
They come through the gun store occasionally. I've seen several in the last year or so. I'll let you know if/when one comes in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
How about 45 win mag?  When I was a kid in the early 80's I remember wanting an m1 carbine converted to 45 win mag when I saw the adds in SOF.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They come through the gun store occasionally. I've seen several in the last year or so. I'll let you know if/when one comes in.
View Quote
You Da Man!!!!

Thanks, I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got mine out the shop.  I had the front sight post moved back and the barrel threaded.

Going to take it to the range soon and try it out.

Osprey 45 Suppressor.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Remember the Gorilla advertisements? Ruger had ads with a dead lowland gorilla back in the day for this rifle, crazy.
View Quote
From 1963:

(Click to enlarge)

Nowadays, Western Lowland Gorillas are classified as a critically endangered species, and hunting them is illegal.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Just removed the scope on my Deerfield, going back to irons for the ultimate in lightweight handiness. Swapped the factory sights for XS ghost ring rear/ white stripes front. They look awesome. Plan to zero them today.

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Both the older tube-fed and the newer rotary Deerfield are fabulous guns, I have two of each. So much fun to shoot!  Ruger is auctioning off an unfired early model on GB right now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Would I be crazy to suggest that Ruger just install a full length mag tub and give us an 8 shot version that could be plugged for hunting?

Make it in .357 as well, I'd buy an 8 shot .357 auto loader.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top