Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2016 2:18:23 AM EDT
Hello all, I finally was able to take my new Ruger 77/357 to the range today, and I can honestly say that its a a fun little rifle, but the cheap glass that I currently have mounted needs to go. Now with that being said, do any of you have any ideas on a compact 2-6 power scope with a red dot center, as my eyes are not what they use to be. As for the accuracy, I seemed to have the best groups using 158 gr. LSWC bullets over 6.2 gr of Uniqe. I also tried a batch of Berrys 158 gr. RN bullets over various different charges using Win 231, AA #5 as well as AA #7 with mixed results ( The LSWC bullets definitely came out on top this round )  What are some of you using that seems to work well for you?
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are going to shoot supersonic, use a jacketed bullet to negate leading.  A 180g jacketed over a case full of W296 or H110 will still be pleasant, almost.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Primary arms prism scopes aren't red dots technically but more like ACOGs but you can use the battery to illuminate the reticule. They've a fantastic optic for the money (sub $300)
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Geo, I'll check em out. Any good 158 gr loads come to mind?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Try the 158 Hornady XTP's over a max load (work up to it) of H-110.  Super accurate out of my rifle and my son knocked over his first buck this past November with it.   Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to agree on the fun factor. I took my wife shooting her first time just last weekend with the 77/357, and she had a great time. However, we had a deal that if she went then I would agree to take salsa dancing lessons with her.

My rifle is setup with a Redfield Revenge 2-7xscope with factory 1" rings. I had my wife shooting out to 50yards using 110gr Hornady XTP over 18gr of 2400 powder with magnum primers, which get cooking around 2000fps (Lyman 49th Ed. Recipe, rifle data). This is my preferred load for shooting steel plates at 100 yards, as it is very flat. Hornady 9th Ed. has some diabolic loads using normal primers with XTP 125gr over Power Pro 300-MP (for handgun) that i've worked up to 19.2gr with no pressure signs. A real crowd pleaser in the late afternoon, as you can see the flames! I've chronoed these around 2200fps. Keep in mind that plated bullets are only goood for abouut 1500fps and under, so keep them limited to wheel guns. The 77/357 with its mauser action does a fine job of boosting velocity..
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have to agree on the fun factor. I took my wife shooting her first time just last weekend with the 77/357, and she had a great time. However, we had a deal that if she went then I would agree to take salsa dancing lessons with her.

My rifle is setup with a Redfield Revenge 2-7xscope with factory 1" rings. I had my wife shooting out to 50yards using 110gr Hornady XTP over 18gr of 2400 powder with magnum primers, which get cooking around 2000fps (Lyman 49th Ed. Recipe, rifle data). This is my preferred load for shooting steel plates at 100 yards, as it is very flat. Hornady 9th Ed. has some diabolic loads using normal primers with XTP 125gr over Power Pro 300-MP (for handgun) that i've worked up to 19.2gr with no pressure signs. A real crowd pleaser in the late afternoon, as you can see the flames! I've chronoed these around 2200fps. Keep in mind that plated bullets are only goood for abouut 1500fps and under, so keep them limited to wheel guns. The 77/357 with its mauser action does a fine job of boosting velocity..
View Quote

Dude - you have a win win - get to take the better half shooting, get to spend quality time taking dance lessons & you can make her look good when you go out dancing!

Red
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
It isn't a red dot, but I just put a Leopold 1x4 on my 77/44 that I got at Primary Arms for under two hundred bucks.  I LOVE it so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top