Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 7:44:55 PM EDT
So used to discussing, buying, selling or trading AR stuff never thought to post a pic of my Mini. Mine is a standard Ranch Rifle from 2010. Only mods are the Accu-strut plus a Strike Industries Type 89 muzzle brake. I was thinking of adding a scope but not sure what I want. Some type of affordable 1-4x or even a 1-6x. We'll see. Maybe a Bushnell AR Optic. Thanks for looking.

Chris

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the wood stocked Minis myself.

To me, a scope ruins the compactness and handy nature of the Mini 14 but if you do get one look into the Weaver 1-3X.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the wood stocked Minis myself.

To me, a scope ruins the compactness and handy nature of the Mini 14 but if you do get one look into the Weaver 1-3X.
View Quote

Checked out the Weaver. Looks sharp and a nice price. I agree though, they look great without a scope. Only problem for me is the rear sight aperture is pretty small and real fuzzy for me to see through for good sight alignment. I also considered a red dot. I saw a nice looking mount that replaces the rear sight and a reflex sight can sit on top of that. We'll see.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Iron sight, wood stocked Minis are sweet.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle I have a early 80's ranch and a new tactical . Fun little carbines.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Only problem for me is the rear sight aperture is pretty small and real fuzzy for me to see through for good sight alignment. I also considered a red dot. I saw a nice looking mount that replaces the rear sight and a reflex sight can sit on top of that. We'll see.

View Quote

I find that if you can get closer to the rear aperture, it's easier to see through it clearly.  Ruger Minis have an odd distance from the heel of stock (top of the buttpad) to the rear aperture at 15.5" vs 14.0" for the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and M14 (M1A) to name just a few famous iron mil guns.  Cranking one's neck forward to see through the rear aperture clearly is a literal 'pain in the neck' so with a bit of tweaking, I fixed the issue.
First, I wanted to put a better rear sight on mine anyway, so a Mini200 replaced the stock Ruger unit.  It turns out that the Mini200 sits back on the receiver .5" so now the heel to aperture distance was down to 15", better on the neck but still an inch too far.  Next I decided to shorten the buttstock 1" so I removed the rubber buttpad, taped up the stock, and cut off 1".  I cut thin so I'd have some stock left to final trim on my sander for a smooth, finished surface.  Then I reattached the buttpad and then it was back to the sander to contour the buttpad to the new stock shape.  
Now my heel to aperture distance is right at 14", just like my M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, and M1A.  Another benefit of moving the aperture closer to your eye is that us 'seasoned' shooters (I'm 68) can really use the DoF benefits of a small aperture close to your eye to sharpen up the front sight and target. With the aperture now closer to my eye, I was able to even include a smaller, .042" aperture to my Mini200 rear sight for a 'NM' like setup after I also thinned my front blade from .075" to .050"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top