Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2016 2:14:23 PM EDT
Bought a new looking but used 77/357 . This is a blued gun .
Trigger is a bit heavy at 6 lbs or so but fairly crisp.
Barrel looks ok , no obvious damage and has been thoroughly cleaned , crown looks good .
I have a Leopold Vx1 2-7 that has worked well on other guns mounted solid .
I have played with the stock screw , everything from loose to tight .
I have tried several different factory loads and several hand loads , both lead bullets , plated and jacketed in both 38 and 357 mag.

Across a firm rest the best it does is about 6 or 7 inches at 25 yards for a 5 shot group . I am no newbie to rifles but have had other good shooters give it a try with about the same results.

WTH?  Ruger disappoints me!

Any known problems with this gun ? Serial makes it a 2013 year by Rugers web site
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I sold mine a while back and wish I still had it. Mine loved Buffalo Bore 158 grains. It would shoot 1" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. With all other factory ammo, it was a 2-3 moa gun.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sold mine a while back and wish I still had it. Mine loved Buffalo Bore 158 grains. It would shoot 1" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. With all other factory ammo, it was a 2-3 moa gun.
View Quote

The BB is lead bullets , right? I will try some similar loads.

Wish I could see anything like 2-3 MOA
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear of your problems. I have a threaded Stainless one, groups very well for me. I have fired some 38SPL fmj factory loads and my warm 140gr and 158gr JHP handloads as well as a super heavy 245gr 38 SPL subsonic load. All similar groupings, 1" or less at 50 and 65 yds, pics at link.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_52/441149_77_357_pics_and_vids__Firing_Suppressed.html

It's got to be your bbl or muzzle man. Maybe try swaging a soft lead pill through the bore and feel for loose-tight spots, then measure for groove/land.

ETA:Also trigger is an easy fix with a Volq sear.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear of your problems. I have a threaded Stainless one, groups very well for me. I have fired some 38SPL fmj factory loads and my warm 140gr and 158gr JHP handloads as well as a super heavy 245gr 38 SPL subsonic load. All similar groupings, 1" or less at 50 and 65 yds, pics at link.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_52/441149_77_357_pics_and_vids__Firing_Suppressed.html

It's got to be your bbl or muzzle man. Maybe try swaging a soft lead pill through the bore and feel for loose-tight spots, then measure for groove/land.

ETA:Also trigger is an easy fix with a Volq sear.
View Quote

Thanks, I have not tried anything above 160 but pretty much all the usuall 38 and 357 loads.

A friend of mine says "It's always a crap shoot with Ruger rifles , some barrels are tack drivers and some just blow"

Trigger isn't like I would want it but off a solid rest I can see how it is breaking and other than a called flyer now and then I can't see it as being the cause of the crummy groups .

I know lots of folks will disagree with me but my overall impression of Ruger products is they have some great designs and interesting products but for a variety of reasons
they have a hell of a time putting it all together. Pretty much every Ruger I have bought turns into a project to fix stuff that should have been made right at the factory.
Oh well, live and learn
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Call ruger customer service. You may get a new barrel.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Call ruger customer service. You may get a new barrel.
View Quote

Yeah, it may come to that.
Years ago I had a stainless ranch rifle that shot similar groups of about 18 " at 50 yards . It went back to Ruger twice with them claiming it met or exceaded factory specifications

It makes me a bit crazy that I bought one of these rifles new from the factory and the other appeared about the same but they both shoot quite a bit worse than several beat to crap military surplus rifles that have barrels that resemble old water pipes .

I may not be a top end competition shooter but with decent optics and a good solid rest I can get pretty decent results from most guns
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Ranch Dog's 190 grain gas checked fp's are much superior to anything lighter in my 77/357.  Make sure lead bullets are .358 in diameter
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ranch Dog's 190 grain gas checked fp's are much superior to anything lighter in my 77/357.  Make sure lead bullets are .358 in diameter
View Quote

I have not tried any loads higher than 160gr but everything across the board has been so bad I don't have much hope but I will search some heavy bullets and give some .358s a go also
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Crazy idea but check to see if there is severe lead fouling in the barrel. That'll fuck your accuracy right up.  Not sure if blasting regular ammo will remove any or not.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Crazy idea but check to see if there is severe lead fouling in the barrel. That'll fuck your accuracy right up.  Not sure if blasting regular ammo will remove any or not.
View Quote

Not crazy at all . Barrel looked clean but I scrubbed it well as one of my first attempts to fix this
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not crazy at all . Barrel looked clean but I scrubbed it well as one of my first attempts to fix this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.  I'm assuming the crown doesn't have any nicks or scratches and the barrel doesn't have any bulges.  The lead was my big guess.  Worst case Ruger ought to replace the barrel without much undue hassle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree with NorthPolar and Postban.

Most likely there is something up with the crown. Or the scope mounting. Double check.

I'd contact Ruger for a service tag. Their customer service is great.

FWIW mine shoots 1.5MOA at 75 yards with lead wad cutters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top