Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2016 8:23:13 PM EDT
An interesting rifle just came into our shop recently, and we are thoroughly stumped! It's an 80s vintage Mini-14 in a black plastic stock, featuring an integral barrel shroud and laser assembly on the front of the weapon. It's a Laser Products Corporation (we now know them as Surefire)aiming laser, and is the same type featured on the Terminator's ".45 long slide with laser sighting."

It came in with one of the batteries stuck in the buttstock compartment, and there is ample evidence of corrosion all over the battery compartment, so I'm sure the contacts, plugs and wires are pretty much fried inside, but if we can get the blown battery out, I think we can rebuild the insides with commonly available wiring and connectors and hopefully return it to functioning condition.

I had never heard of these rifles before this one came in, and even the Ruger rep we talked to had no idea what we were talking about.

Does anyone know of a source or website we could go to for more detailed info about this weapon, specifically any schematics, instruction manuals, or other technical data we could use in the course of repairing this thing?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Post up a pic!  
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
This?

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That it is!

I haven't been able to find any info on these things anywhere. We can't get the corroded battery out of the buttstock, and I don't want to further damage the gun by getting too rough with it.

I'm kinda stumped as to what kind of chemicals I could use to remove the corrosion without damaging the painted finish on the stock.

The owner has indicated some interest in pulling off the laser and associated parts, and returning it to a regular Mini-14 configuration, but he hasn't made up his mind yet.

The sticking point with that is, how do you get the internal flash hider off the end of the barrel to free up the laser assembly? is there a special tool or another type of tool that could be adapted for that purpose, without damaging the splines on the FH?

I've worked on a lot of guns over the years, but this one is turning out to be a doosie!
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The sticking point with that is, how do you get the internal flash hider off the end of the barrel to free up the laser assembly? is there a special tool or another type of tool that could be adapted for that purpose, without damaging the splines on the FH?
View Quote

I've never seen this internal flash hider, so maybe a pic would help.  If it's constructed anything like a standard Ruger flash hider on the inside, you can use a large Torx tool to take it off.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the view of the muzzle end. The flash hider is inside, but it doesn't appear to be very long. The Torx idea might be just the ticket for getting this thing out of here, thanks for turning on the lightbulb for me!

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you contacted surefire? Maybe it wasn't a factory gun but a kit from them to mount the laser.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:47:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm wondering if the internal flash hider is really a blank adaptor for movie work? These were used in a few movies in the 80's and it could be an ex movie gun.

Check your PM's btw

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top