Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2015 10:45:27 AM EDT
Images clearly show many Sheriffs armed with Ruger Model 5817 SS Ranch Rifles with synthetic stocks.  Some had lights, some had what looked like red dots, but most had stock 5817s with just a sling.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes they are, and if you look at the windscreen of the SUV, the pattern of holes show the result of mini-14 accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#2]
As most of those pictured appear to be 58X series, I'm sure that they are way more accurate than the LEO's abilities to shoot them.  Various agencies train at our private range because we offer them free use and because it is behind small hills and therefore out of sight.  Denver's SWAT uses our range to train in tactics.  That said, 1/2 of the officers come out for yearly training with long guns and need training on how to insert the mag, charge the weapon, and aim it.  Most are such poor shots it's laughable.  They are reporting that 380rds were fired at the SUV and while it's got a number of holes in it, there are no where near that many and you're talking about a full size SUV.  Even a smooth bore musket has a MOA smaller than 1 SUV at 30 yds!!  The average officer probably can't hit a man sized target farther than 75ft with a rifle rest.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Thought it was an AC556 at first glance. Have to wonder how many PD's actually keep these things around, very interesting.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
There maybe many  California LE organizations who use Mini 14s.   I've seen a few pics of them wielding them before.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
They are probably not allowed to have those nasty ARs
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

A-Team Fans , hey they work and did the job!
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not that--California LE agencies can have pretty much whatever they want, up to and including SBR, Suppressor, SBS, etc. Individual officers have to get permission to buy "Assault Weapon" configured firearms, though, and have to dispose of them or render them ban-compliant on leaving LE.

San Bernardino County, though, made the decision to buy Mini-14s quite some time ago because of their "less threatening" appearance versus ARs. Not a matter of ability, their Sheriff at the time made the choice deliberately.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]
They started getting them shortly after the 1997 north Hollywood shoutout.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Back in the late 70's and early 80's Mini 14's (& M-1 Carbines) were common among local PD's and SO's in my area.  The only AR-15's were Colt's with the triangle handguard like the M-16.  At the time the Colts were quite a bit more expensive than the Mini 14.  After a Trooper was killed in a gun battle where the offender was armed with a Mini 14 a lot of LEO's purchased Mini 14's and carried them on Patrol.  The thought back then was it was better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.  Many supervisors over looked the Mini even though they might not been approved by policy.   I traded for a SS mini 14 and carried it for a number of years until I bought my first AR-15 in 1996.  Finally after 9/11 many PD's started offering training and approved rifles for Officers to use.  My department was very concerned about fratricide to the point of prohibiting buck shot in shotguns.  A lot of the desk people were eager to turn in their shotguns so they didn't have to do the shotgun qualifications.  There are several local Officer's in my area who were not issued rifles who have purchased Mini 14's and have been trained and carry the Mini 14 on patrol.

I've seen numerous photos of San Bernandino Co Deputies carrying the Mini14, very few had light's attached and all had 20 round mags in the well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#10]
My patrol rifle is an AR, but I'd be happy with one of the new Mini 14s. They fixed the accuracy problems and that was all that held the platform back for basic patrol work.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#11]
My oldest brother works for a CA state agency and they have Mini 14's.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Would like to have that folder.
Quoted:
<a href="http://s671.photobucket.com/user/straycatkid/media/tumblr_nyr42e6IxF1qj5rqko1_1280_zpslxpkd16g.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv75/straycatkid/tumblr_nyr42e6IxF1qj5rqko1_1280_zpslxpkd16g.jpg</a>

Thought it was an AC556 at first glance. Have to wonder how many PD's actually keep these things around, very interesting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There maybe many  California LE organizations who use Mini 14s.   I've seen a few pics of them wielding them before.
View Quote

There were a ton of pics of them during the Dorner manhunt in 2013.  If ypu google image search there are dozens of pictures of LEOs with them.  I think its even the same agency.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s671.photobucket.com/user/straycatkid/media/tumblr_nyr42e6IxF1qj5rqko1_1280_zpslxpkd16g.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv75/straycatkid/tumblr_nyr42e6IxF1qj5rqko1_1280_zpslxpkd16g.jpg</a>

View Quote

I live in New York...so I only have 10 round mags. Are they all using 20 round magazines? If so, any reason for that over the 30 rounders?
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#15]
So did some of the French., I find that ironic.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There were a ton of pics of them during the Dorner manhunt in 2013.  If ypu google image search there are dozens of pictures of LEOs with them.  I think its even the same agency.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, same agency.

Come to think of it, I can only think of SBSD and one "State agency" that issue Mini-14 rifles of any revision as standard long guns.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I live in New York...so I only have 10 round mags. Are they all using 20 round magazines? If so, any reason for that over the 30 rounders?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel that the 20rd mags balance better in the Ruger than the 30rd do.  It's the same thing in my ARs, 30rd feel fine but the 40rd I tried screwed with the balance.  However, YMMV

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All the pics I've seen of officers using Minis were of LA Sheriffs Dept.  I've not seen any other agency with one.  Not saying there aren't any, just saying all the pics I've seen are of Sheriffs.

Link Posted: 12/12/2015 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20's balance better in the Mini, plus they don't stick out a mile.

There can also be reliability problems with some of the (factory) 30's; back when I still had a 58x series, two of my four factory blued 30's wouldn't function through a full mag without crapping out.

I ditched them and picked up four more 20's instead.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not that--California LE agencies can have pretty much whatever they want, up to and including SBR, Suppressor, SBS, etc. Individual officers have to get permission to buy "Assault Weapon" configured firearms, though, and have to dispose of them or render them ban-compliant on leaving LE.

San Bernardino County, though, made the decision to buy Mini-14s quite some time ago because of their "less threatening" appearance versus ARs. Not a matter of ability, their Sheriff at the time made the choice deliberately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They work just the same.....but how fucking cheese dick are you to make a decision like that based on feel good intentions!  Oh yeah, we have an entire washington DC made of those people.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#21]
History of the Ruger Mini 14 at the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Departmemt:

The Norco Bank Robbery of 1980 made sheriff Frank Bland realize they needed immediate firepower as fast as they could.  

The day the gunfight/capture ended he sent his DC-9 (prisoner transport plane) to the Sturm-Ruger factory in Southport Conn. For an emergency purchase of 350 Mini-14 rifles, a crap load of 20 magazines, then sent deputies to an ammunition distribution seller in SoCal and bought a couple hundred thousand rounds of 5.56.   The Mini-14's were issued and in patrol cars within two(2) days not including training.  Plus he authorized deputies with their own long guns to carry them.  

From the Wiki article:
Deputy Bolasky recovered from his injuries sustained in the shootout and was awarded several decorations for his actions. He later became an officer in the U. S. Air Force. After this incident the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department equipped their deputies with Ruger Mini-14s chambered in .223 Remington as well as the M16 and AR-15. Though the robbery occurred in 1980, such was its impact that even today it is still used in training law enforcement personnel in anti-terrorism and survival.
View Quote

--------------------

SBSO has had them since and they work.   And yes, I was there at SBSO in 1980.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Slightly off topic, but excellent document about the Norco Bank Robbery: http://www.rcdsa.org/norcorobbery/story1.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top