Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2015 7:14:26 PM EDT
Trying to figure out the best way to keep the barrel and stock from touching each other. I know I can sand it down but I dont mind adding some weight to it also. Youtube showed videos of using rockite but I would rather use something other than cement to prevent it from cracking or falling out of the stock.

Has anybody tried using fiberglass resin or is there anything better?

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Boyds stocks. Toss that plastic piece of shit in the trash!
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You could use barrel bedding material.. My stock works fine for hunting
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That was what I initially had in mind but for the amount needed to fill the stock I dont think it would justify the price.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I think there is a youtube vid of a guys using jb weld to do it.  My Boyds stock is stiff,  but the v block insert looks trashy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That was what I initially had in mind but for the amount needed to fill the stock I dont think it would justify the price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Boyds stocks are generally much nicer to handle, so it's not just about rigidity. I got a Boyds for my RAR and love it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I did one for my Cheap Mossberg .308.

Kicked too much for little ones.  

Filled with lead and expoly.

About 3 pounds heavier but absorbs the recoil well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought the Ruger American Predator in .308.  I used a file to remove enough of the plastic on the sides and underneath the front of the barrel.  I have some Acraglas gel that I thought about using to make it a little stiffer.  I just used the Acraglas to glue back together a broken Browning A-Bolt stock.  I think it would work well, if I decided to use it.  If you remove enough material it is very unlikely that it would touch the barrel with normal use.  A half round file works great!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm waiting the silly 10 day wait period Kalifornia has to get my used Savage Axis. I noticed the stock has some
flex (which I predicted), but you have to really push to get the bbl. to contact the forearm.

I MAY look at some kind of material to stiffen it and have heard some use graphite arrow shafts bedded with
epoxy, etc.. I wonder if aluminum would work also.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does Boyds make one for the American with the steel bedding blocks the action is designed to mate too?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Boyds are heavy. Nice enough, but like carrying around a log.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just bought the Ruger American Predator in .308.  I used a file to remove enough of the plastic on the sides and underneath the front of the barrel.  I have some Acraglas gel that I thought about using to make it a little stiffer.  I just used the Acraglas to glue back together a broken Browning A-Bolt stock.  I think it would work well, if I decided to use it.  If you remove enough material it is very unlikely that it would touch the barrel with normal use.  A half round file works great!
View Quote

Did you do this?  Got pics?

I've been thinking of at least bedding the action a little better with acaglass.  I saw a video on youtube where the guy used acraglass and put an aluminum rod in the front part of the stock.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have not.  I have an Omega hanging off the end of the barrel and I don't think I want the extra forward weight.  I am very sure it would work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#13]
With my American Predator I just took a piece of 5/8 inch dowel, wrapped it with a piece of the most aggressive emery cloth I could find in my tool box and went to work on the barrel channel. I enlarged it so the stock didn't make contact with the barrel at any point and have left it at that so far. I thought about reinforcing it but don't really want it heavier than it is now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
With my American Predator I just took a piece of 5/8 inch dowel, wrapped it with a piece of the most aggressive emery cloth I could find in my tool box and went to work on the barrel channel. I enlarged it so the stock didn't make contact with the barrel at any point and have left it at that so far. I thought about reinforcing it but don't really want it heavier than it is now.
View Quote

Same here. Our intention is to have light rifles for hunting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I filled the for end with acra glass and a couple of steel rods.
Now the bi pod does not torque the for end and ruin accuracy.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That was what I initially had in mind but for the amount needed to fill the stock I don't think it would justify the price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was what I initially had in mind but for the amount needed to fill the stock I don't think it would justify the price.

I'm using about 14 ounces of Bondo Resin, it's about $14, for the stock.  I'm also using 1/2" CPVC as stiffening tubes in the stock.  I'll use 10-24 threaded rod and 3500 psi epoxy in the forearm to stiffen it up.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Mine is so much better now with the Boyd stock. It still has the steel bedding.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:49:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used thin steel rod from Lowes and dremmeled a channel in the forearm of a Savage plastic stock then expoxied the rod in. Stiffened it nicely and didn't add much weight. Not sure if you can do it with the American stock.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've used thin steel rod from Lowes and dremmeled a channel in the forearm of a Savage plastic stock then expoxied the rod in. Stiffened it nicely and didn't add much weight. Not sure if you can do it with the American stock.
View Quote

You can.  I did it on my 7mm-08 except I used two 10-24 threaded rod and Bondo resin/  I also added the resin to the butt stock, now the stock isn't so "tinny" or flimsy feeling.

ETA:  and pics are in this related thread:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_52/462615_Ruger-American-270-stock-fill------------.html
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 2:25:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't recall anyone saying it was necessary, just something to do if you so choose.  For me, the front end reinforcement did make it stiffer and that means less chance of the stock, however light, touching the barrel.

And shots #31-33 took down three doe this afternoon just after sundown.  All three were head shots, DRT.  We got done processing them down to deboned meat about an hour ago.

Pics as soon as I can get them uploaded.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Savage Axis .223.  I found a video on YouTube about using Rocktite to stiffen the stock.  It worked good on my rifle, adding weight and making it recoil less.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pardon me, but I don't understand why such reinforcement of a (supposedly) free-floating-type of stock is necessary.  Perhaps I am missing something.
View Quote

Because the forearm can flex enough to touch the barrel.
Its only floated with about 1mm or less clearance.

But it depends, I think, on which Ruger stock you get. 

I got a early one, and it flexes enough to touch, but a later American Rifle I bought has a much, much stiffer forearm.

I think the flexie one does not have enough crosspanels in it, or its simply too thin.
My flexie one is also not too straight, you can see where the plastic shrinkage/stress relief has caused a slight deformation.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Buddy of mine turned me on to a really cheap and quick trick to make sure the stock on my American ranch wouldn't flex and touch my barrel.

Just took two small pieces of an old credit card and shimmed the metal bedding block in the stock at the point it screws into the receiver. Lifted my barrel up about 1/8th of an inch and ensured it stayed free floated. No need for filing or cutting out the stock channel and took about a 1/4 of an inch out of my 5 shot groups.

One of those "Duh, why didn't I think to do that" moments.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I epoxied 2 aluminum cleaning rods on either side of the barrel channel.  It took almost all of the flex out of the stock and added no noticeable weight.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I epoxied 2 aluminum cleaning rods on either side of the barrel channel.  It took almost all of the flex out of the stock and added no noticeable weight.
View Quote
I was coming to post something similar to this.  A fair number of folks will take aluminum rod, dremel or cut out a channel for it to lay in, then fill the voids at the front of the stock with 2 part epoxy.  Once it's set, clean up a touch and you are g2g.

That said, I have never personally done this so YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:25:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought the RAR would be fine, but with a bipod it would touch the barrel to stock with just an oz or two of twist on the handgrip of the stock. Used a socket anf sandpaper to open up the channel, which made a noticeable difference. Without a bipod or at 100yds from field positions likely unnoticeable. Maybe 1"+/- to the left at 100 when barrel touched.

Really like the light weight, dont want to lose that for more rigidity in the stock.

I keep wondering about laying up a bit of fiberglass on the outside. Much stiffer and then paint to taste, but I like the shape of the stock, ummm..., stock.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I thought the RAR would be fine, but with a bipod it would touch the barrel to stock with just an oz or two of twist on the handgrip of the stock. Used a socket anf sandpaper to open up the channel, which made a noticeable difference. Without a bipod or at 100yds from field positions likely unnoticeable. Maybe 1"+/- to the left at 100 when barrel touched.

Really like the light weight, dont want to lose that for more rigidity in the stock.

I keep wondering about laying up a bit of fiberglass on the outside. Much stiffer and then paint to taste, but I like the shape of the stock, ummm..., stock.
View Quote
After I modded my RA deer rifle in 7mm-08, I got a RA Predator in .223.  Really light and handy rifle and I also did not want the extra weight of a fully filled rifle stock would entail.

So what I did was still use the Bondo resin but in this case only filled the first 1-2" of the stock in the hand area, thn filled only the upper and bottom parts of the stock.  The Bondo resin will flow fairly easily, so it's easy to pour a little, then hold the rifle so only the bottom or top of the stock has resin.  Really cut down on the flimsy feel of the stock, plus stiffened it as well with very little weight increase.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:44:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Is the Bondo resin for fiberglass? Or body filler?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unless you are talking about a different one, it is for use with fiberglass mat reinforcement.  No idea on how hard it'll set up by itself.  I'd get a good 2 part epoxy that is stable but doesn't need to be crazy strong as it's basically strengthening filler.  Since it's not a high stress bit, I'd look at Quik-Cure from Bob Smith Industrial.  It's like $12 for 12 oz or so.  

Now if you're really worried about the slightest bit of flex, I'd look closer at something like T-88 since it's unaffected by solvents after curing.  That said, it's largely used in woodworking, so I'm unsure of how well it'll bond on plastics.  I imagine if you are doing rod reinforcement or doing enough surface prep it would be fine though.  Just have to give it plenty of places to get a grip inside the stock.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's for fiberglas.  I didn't use any fiberglas though, just the resin itself.  For the purposes discussed here, it works just fine, is relatively cheap and is available at any auto parts store.

Here are pics of my Ruger American fore end filled with the resin and the two 10-24 threaded rods.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top