Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2015 2:01:26 PM EDT
I recently jumped into NFA Stamp collecting and acquired a .30 cal can to put on several of my rifles. My first time shooting with the suppressor was awesome but I noticed some issues. It seemed like no matter what gas setting the rifle was on, I would get stovepipes with a partially chambered round wedged against the empty shell casing every so often. Sorry I failed to get any pics. It also looked liked a lot of gas was coming back in the chamber area and down into the magazine. I know this common in DI rifles but I have not heard of it in piston operated rifles. I figured I would ask the collective here and in the suppressor pages if this was a normal thing. Thanks gang
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The gas blow-by from the chamber is one of the down sides of using a suppressor.  It doesn't matter what kind of gas system you have, it will always occur.  Your problems sound like they are do to a weak action spring, too light buffer and/or not enough lubricant on the reciprocating parts.

The suppressor adds a lot of back pressure and powder residue to the the system thru the chamber, so you will have to compensate for this, regardless of gas system type.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've found that the SR762 is still overgassed even when the gas regulator is set on the smallest setting because I'll also get some stovepipes when running suppressed.  I found the best solution is an extra heavy (H4 from PWS in my case) buffer and an extra power buffer spring.  The stiffer spring and heavier buffer seems to have cured my stovepiping issues and the gun still runs fine unsuppressed on the #2 setting.

I may eventually send the upper off to Marvin Pitts and have him shim my gas port or turn me a new barrel to replace the factory Ruger barrel.  If and when I do I'll have him use a smaller gas port that will allow the bolt run run a little slower/softer with my can in place.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've found that the SR762 is still overgassed even when the gas regulator is set on the smallest setting because I'll also get some stovepipes when running suppressed.  I found the best solution is an extra heavy (H4 from PWS in my case) buffer and an extra power buffer spring.  The stiffer spring and heavier buffer seems to have cured my stovepiping issues and the gun still runs fine unsuppressed on the #2 setting.

I may eventually send the upper off to Marvin Pitts and have him shim my gas port or turn me a new barrel to replace the factory Ruger barrel.  If and when I do I'll have him use a smaller gas port that will allow the bolt run run a little slower/softer with my can in place.
View Quote

+1 on a heavier buffer/spring combo.

And yeah, when I realized my piston rifles got almost as dirty as my DI guns when suppressed, I was
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top