Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2015 11:36:55 PM EDT

Hello, I have a mini 14 folder and recently found a
guy selling new production AC556 sights on ebay for a decent price(80 bucks) so
I took a chance and ordered one and it turned out pretty nice, I also snagged a
mini 14 flash hider awhile back. I am looking to do an ac556k clone type build.
My question comes about the barrel threading process. I watched a youtube video
of how the guy took the barrel off himself, threaded it, and put it back on and
it doesn’t look to complicated. I have a buddy that’s a machinest who could do
the threading. My question is if I take the barrel off  using a vice/press, wood block, barrel rosin and put it back on im
assuming there shouldn’t be any fitting problems other than headspace. I will buy a headspacing guage to
double check but if I could save the 200 dollars on threading I would prefer
that. Or do you guys recommend not fooling with it and just sending it a
threading company? And yes i have my stamp, thanks for looking.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:47:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally would not attempt what you are considering. I would look for a qualified gunsmith with some experience working on Mini-14's. By the way, nice looking Mini folder you have.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a good local 'smith to do the work for you. There's probably no need to remove the barrel from the receiver to cut threads on the muzzle. The 'smith will advise you how he will do the job.

There is the issue of re-timing the barrel if its removed from the receiver. Read up on how to change a barrel on a M-14.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Got it, thanks for the advice guys.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#4]
IF you decide to not go the SBR route , You an thread on your own with a die and guide as described in a recent thread on this forum.
Barrel Cutting Thread for Mini-14

I followed the directions as indicated and cut it to a little beyond 14.5" and with the factory flash hider, I ended up nearly 16.5"

This is good for the barrel diameter in front of the GB sight where the barrel tapers slightly.  I'm not sure what the barrel diameter is on the non-GB model.

Check out CNC warriors guide to see if you can DIY it.

Normally I would recommend a lathe, but this was very easy for me to do and not above a DIY-er .

CNC Warrior info on threading DIY
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I forgot to add - I made my own front sight block as I couldn't find ones on ebay - You can make your own from the original sight cut off the blade and weld it on the block.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Could you post a link to the AAC gas block front sight site? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I dont know the rules about posting links, but if you go to ebay and search "ac556 front sight" it will come up.

I can do a short review on it if anyone is interested, was just happy to get one as Ive been looking for one at a decent price for awhile.

Update on the project I am going to not screw with it and just send it off to someone to have it SBR'd.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The front gasblock sight is not made by AAC (Advanced Armament Co), the AC is the model of the rifle that Ruger used to make.  The AC-556 doesn't have anything to do with AAC, it is just the model number and the only one that had the gas block sight was the F model.  In Ruger language the K designated a stainless steel version.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top