Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2015 11:53:11 PM EDT
Hi, I'm new to the site. My wife bought me a GSR .308 as an anniversary gift. I think I'm going to go with the Leupold IER Scout for optics but I intend to deer hunt with the rifle as well and my hunting site has very diverse terrain. From 15 yard visibility in thick brush to nearly half mile open fields, I'd like to get some quick release scope rings so I can still use the iron sites easily. Any brands y'all would recommend? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Warne QD rings are on mine.  I got the high rings because I have the XS Sight rail.  Peace!

WARNING-  I had a terrible time when I bought these mags, Alpha Industries.  I waited for months with no response from the company and one day they finally arrived.  Non of them fit the same.  Some drop free and some stick.  Some insert easy and some are hard to insert into the rifle.  Stick with ruger mags IMHO
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same scope you are looking at and I use the Warne Medium Rings on mine.

Love it!

Stick with Ruger mags as well. The polymer mags havent given me any trouble at all and I use them almost exclusively, even though I own 4 steel mags for it as well.

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to both you for the info!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to be a thread stealer. but I've been considering one.
How is the accuracy?
What are you feeding it ammo-wise? I have a ton of .308 147 gr PMC fmj and some Barnes 150gr TSX to use up that my SCAR 17 doesn't like (4 inch groups at 100yards, versus heavier loads that touch).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Stick with Ruger mags. Polymer are good to go.

I've never had much luck with bulk rounds. Like 3 MOA.

I use Leupold QRW rings. Love them, have them on two rifles.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:45:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to be a thread stealer. but I've been considering one.
How is the accuracy?
What are you feeding it ammo-wise? I have a ton of .308 147 gr PMC fmj and some Barnes 150gr TSX to use up that my SCAR 17 doesn't like (4 inch groups at 100yards, versus heavier loads that touch).

Thanks!
View Quote

Mine does NOT like lighter weight bullets.
With 168 grain handloads, (Dad's, not mine), I've put 4 rounds in 3/4 of an inch at 100yds from the bench.
Commercially loaded ammo:
Hornady Superformance 165 gr will hold about an inch -1.25 inches at 100 yds from the bench.
Federal 168 gr Deer Thug,(stupid name for ammo), it will do about the same.
Winchester 150/180 gr soft point...it doesnt group...it patterns about a 4 - 4.5 inch three round group.
Federal 150 gr soft point, same as Winchester soft point above.

The gun can shoot with it's preferred ammo, which appears to be my father's handloads. For most uses the gun was designed for, the Honady Superformance or the Federal Deer Thug are capable for my needs and abilities.

I drink too much coffee to be a benchrest shooter and I am not a sniper.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Totally agreed on the 147gr bullets... They group and at 200m it's atrocious. Stick with 168gr and above and even with iron sights you'll be hard pressed to outshoot this rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top