Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 1:50:35 PM EDT
I'm in the process of cutting down my Ruger factory Mini-14 GB folder to 14.5 + net 1.5" = 16" and was thinking of perhaps outfitting it with the AC556K sight and ditching the GB sight/bayo lug - leaving the barrel clean to the Flash hider.

I've seen the Federal Ord and Ruger factory sights around going for $250 or more - Was thinking of maybe just welding on a standard Mini-blade to the standard block and trying that- anyone tried that or know of a stash of reasonable factory-type sight blocks?

Thanks up front for any help or ideas.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You will have to weld, re-surface and re-blue the area where the sight roll pin cuts thru the barrel.  The AC556 front sight radius is shorter, and lacks protective wings.

I'm not aware of anyone making AC556 front sight/gas block tops as they are considered inferior to the barrel mounted winged sights.  You can mill a dove-tail in a standard gas block top to accept a front sight post from Williams, Novak, Hi-viz, etc.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will have to weld, re-surface and re-blue the area where the sight roll pin cuts thru the barrel.  The AC556 front sight radius is shorter, and lacks protective wings.

I'm not aware of anyone making AC556 front sight/gas block tops as they are considered inferior to the barrel mounted winged sights.  You can mill a dove-tail in a standard gas block top to accept a front sight post from Williams, Novak, Hi-viz, etc.
View Quote

I agree - its not a great sight, and if dropped has no protective ears, etc.  Just going for the look of an AC556K - I like your  idea of using a dovetail and replaceable sights.  A fiber optic would be far more practical on such an otherwise mediocre sight picture.

I may just buy a ruger mini-14 standard sight blade and machine it with a dovetail and experiment.  Now I need to get a spare gas block top to play with.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#4]
In case anyone is wondering, you can modify a standard Mini-14 sight blade to fit.  I got one off of ebay.  Cut off the barrel "tube" section off wth dremel cutpoff wheel, you will also need to cut out a step, then file, file, file.

After all that work I can't decide if I likke the GB sight better or not.  I better not weld this on til I am sure.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top