Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2015 2:10:10 AM EDT
Who can shorten and perm attach flash hider on my mini 14?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:14:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Who can shorten and perm attach flash hider on my mini 14?
View Quote

ADCO
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:50:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Adco only will do it if you pull the barrel from the receiver that's not happening.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:16:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Adco only will do it if you pull the barrel from the receiver that's not happening.
View Quote

Really? Huh.

I suppose you could check around your HTF, maybe find a good machine shop that will thread it for you
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to suggest Great Western Gunsmithing, but apparently he has closed up shop.  He did the same thing for my Mini-14.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have an older Mini with the 9/16" barrel you can do it yourself.   You'll need a barrel crowning kit, 9/16-24 threading die, a die starter from CNCWarrior and a MIG welder.  I did mine in less than 2 hours.
185 Series Mini-14 GB-F barrel cut to 14.5" rethreaded, bayonet lug ground off, original flash suppressor pinned & welded, re-blued grinds & welds with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you have an older Mini with the 9/16" barrel you can do it yourself.   You'll need a barrel crowning kit, 9/16-24 threading die, a die starter from CNCWarrior and a MIG welder.  I did mine in less than 2 hours.

185 Series Mini-14 GB-F barrel cut to 14.5" rethreaded, bayonet lug ground off, original flash suppressor pinned & welded, re-blued grinds & welds with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/jeepjohn/IMG_1523_zpsjdzuflp1.jpg      
View Quote

Thanks for the info and looks great - Imay do this!!!  Does it run reliable when cut down?

Did that start as a GB?  

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes it was a GB I cut 4" off the barrel, it shoots fine so far with M193 and my hand loads.  The Mini gas system is very easy to tune, you just change the gas port bushing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes it was a GB I cut 4" off the barrel, it shoots fine so far with M193 and my hand loads.  The Mini gas system is very easy to tune, you just change the gas port bushing.
View Quote

Thank you - Just a few more questions -

What did you cut down the barrel with hack saw, chop saw, and how did you make a shoulder for the threads stop or didn't you need to?

What is the proper bushing size when cutting down?  Where to get?

Ordering tools from CNC warrior today!
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Very nice!  That's just really sharp looking.  With that clean look it seems to me that a Choate Hand Guard would really look good on it as well as increase the cooling of the thin barrel (barrel heating being a problem in that model) and at $15, it's a cheap upgrade.

You could even paint it brown like I did with mine if it suited you.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nicely done!
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is simply awesome!
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:37:29 AM EDT
[#12]
You can cut the barrel with your tool of choice, I prefer a portable band saw, but a hack saw works.  I tape every surface near the work area with masking tape covered with several layers of electrical tape.  I don't like using abrasive cut-off tools as they tend to discolor the bluing.  There is a shoulder on the barrel about 3/8" in front of the sight, cut the barrel 1/2" past the shoulder toward the muzzle.  This will be the threaded area as the threading die won't cut over the shoulder.  The stock Ruger flash suppressor extends past the end of the threads.  I used a Brownell's 90 deg. barrel facing tool to square the muzzle, and a 45 deg crowing tool to clean up the rifling.  Make sure you clean any shavings out of the barrel between each step.  Coat the crowning tool pilot with heavy axle grease to keep the cutting chips out of the barrel.  I used an adjustable threading die and started at it's largest setting.  I decreased the thread diameter until the flash suppressor screwed on firmly, don't try to force it if the threads are too large.  Then I just screwed the flash hider on until the threads bottomed out, verified it was straight and pinned and welded the flash suppressor in place.  Verify the barrel length before you pin to make sure it's over 16" mine is right at 16.25"  Buff the areas to be re-blued with 220 grit paper followed by steel wool and then used Oxpho-blue, I also blued the new crown and threads before installing the flash suppressor.

I really want a railed handguard cover, but I kept the original cover because I hold the stock right in front of the receiver, and I want to keep my finger-tips

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You can cut the barrel with your tool of choice, I prefer a portable band saw, but a hack saw works.  I tape every surface near the work area with masking tape covered with several layers of electrical tape.  I don't like using abrasive cut-off tools as they tend to discolor the bluing.  There is a shoulder on the barrel about 3/8" in front of the sight, cut the barrel 1/2" past the shoulder toward the muzzle.  This will be the threaded area as the threading die won't cut over the shoulder.  The stock Ruger flash suppressor extends past the end of the threads.  I used a Brownell's 90 deg. barrel facing tool to square the muzzle, and a 45 deg crowing tool to clean up the rifling.  Make sure you clean any shavings out of the barrel between each step.  Coat the crowning tool pilot with heavy axle grease to keep the cutting chips out of the barrel.  I used an adjustable threading die and started at it's largest setting.  I decreased the thread diameter until the flash suppressor screwed on firmly, don't try to force it if the threads are too large.  Then I just screwed the flash hider on until the threads bottomed out, verified it was straight and pinned and welded the flash suppressor in place.  Verify the barrel length before you pin to make sure it's over 16" mine is right at 16.25"  Buff the areas to be re-blued with 220 grit paper followed by steel wool and then used Oxpho-blue, I also blued the new crown and threads before installing the flash suppressor.

I really want a railed handguard cover, but I kept the original cover because I hold the stock right in front of the receiver, and I want to keep my finger-tips
View Quote

Thank You so much for your help and instructions.
This is going to be great.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top