Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2015 4:11:11 PM EDT
I was at Barne's and Nobel bookstore, looking at magazines.
Noticed all the ones about AR-15 or had an AR on the cover extolling the virtues of some such, product or use.
Could not recall ever seeing anything about the mini 14, good or bad.
Wondered why the mini is totally neglected?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure. But I've had one since the mid 80's and like it allot. Goes bang every time and shoots good groups.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:01:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple books printed in the early 80's on Mini-14's.  One is the full auto conversion, the other focuses mostly on trigger and gas port tuning.  They're both photo-copy prints.  I'll try to dig them out.

Bill Ruger died, that's when Ruger and most of America lost interest in the Mini.  The Mini (like the AK) has 2 advantages over the AR, an all steel action and a reciprocating charging handle. Neither of these mean shit to the average sport shooter, but they are really nice when your rifle sees lots of dust, mud, and other unfavorable conditions.  Try taking a hammer to an AR charging handle!

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a couple books printed in the early 80's on Mini-14's.  One is the full auto conversion, the other focuses mostly on trigger and gas port tuning.  They're both photo-copy prints.  I'll try to dig them out.

Bill Ruger died, that's when Ruger and most of America lost interest in the Mini.  The Mini (like the AK) has 2 advantages over the AR, an all steel action and a reciprocating charging handle. Neither of these mean shit to the average sport shooter, but they are really nice when your rifle sees lots of dust, mud, and other unfavorable conditions.  Try taking a hammer to an AR charging handle!
View Quote

Hmm. I like the Mini 14, but I don't consider the reciprocating CH to be an asset, OH and it's also on the wrong side, like the AK.
I don't carry a hammer around with me in the field, why would you need one?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Both written during the Mini-14's heyday.  

The Mini is a bit different nowadays with the bolt catch acting as the ejector and the little recoil buffer bushing in the front of the receiver but I'll bet there's still probably some useful info regarding maintenance, etc

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mini-14-Plinker-Assault-Everything/dp/0873644077

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-14-Super-Systems-Duncan-Long/dp/0873645898/ref=pd_sim_14_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RG59ENWPAXJ99BH9CQW
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Because it now costs 700 dollars new, has limited appeal to those in free states?

You can find some old literature on it from the 90's on amazon and gunshows
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:34:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hmm. I like the Mini 14, but I don't consider the reciprocating CH to be an asset, OH and it's also on the wrong side, like the AK.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was in Afrika I frequently watched guards eject corroded rounds from their AK's by hitting the CH with a hammer.  Salt-water air and steel don't mix well. I have personally had to use my boot many times to both lock and unlock rifles.  I love my AR's but they can't handle the "tuff shit" there is a reason the Navy still uses M14's

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top