Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:28:19 PM EDT
Nice job, Ruger. Not exactly a Takedown like the 10/22TD, but this looks pretty cool. 300 BLK barrel and specially-marked magazines now available as a set, too.

http://ruger.com/products/sr556TD/models.html
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
They do that with the SR762 with an optional .260 Remington and I am in!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Ideally I think the best approach to a system like this would be something based off the DPMS GII small frame 308 rifle.  Make conversion barrels for cartridges based off the 308 rim diameter and/or that fit in an AR10 magazine.  Also make a mag well adapter that'll take M16 magazines and then make barrels and bolts that'll work with cartidges based on the 223 case as well.

How awesome would it be to have a piston driven 308 that could also be used as a 6.5 Creedmor or a 223 Remington or a 204 Ruger or a 5.45x39?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
It would seriously make sense IF the upper was the serialized part on an AR.  But it is not.  A cheap extra upper makes more sense.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't see any benefit to this system at all.  In addition the to barrel conversion being fairly expensive, there is no more take-down capability than just splitting the receivers.  Perhaps if they had named it something along a conversion or convertible line, instead of TD, it would seem a bit more appealing.  But even in that case, I would rather have a separate upper with its own sighting system that I don't have to adjust back and forth to the barrel I happen to have installed.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#5]
The interesting thing about the TD is that it offers the consumer quick and easy conversion without a vice or any barreling tools.  It also doesn't carry a significantly higher MSRP than the standard SR-556 so the consumer isn't paying extra for something he may not want to use.  Those who don't want to play around with conversion barrels will probably still find some benefit in being able to further disassemble the rifle for detailed cleaning with no tools required other than a small roll pin punch to remove the transfer rod from the forend.  While I do see some merit in being able to reconfigure/rebarrel a rifle with minimal effort, I don't know how practical this idea is in reality.  As has already been mentioned, the AR is already easily convertible by swapping in a complete upper.  Time will tell on how ready the market is to embrace Ruger's idea.  

Personally, I am glad to see this rifle using a thinner profile barrel and think this one change is the most overdue improvement to the SR-556 line regardless of anything else the TD offers over Ruger's other piston guns.  I only wish Ruger would have used the CLA handguard for this new model or even gone to a Keymod forend.  

The takedown rifle, in its bag, is pretty compact with no one piece being longer than about 18 inches.  This saves about seven inches over a standard assembled upper.  Here's the TD with bag compared to a complete AR with a 14.5" barrel and pinned AAC Brakeout.  Not a direct comparison since the S&W is fully assembled but it does give a frame of reference for how compact the TD is when disassembled.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it the exact same bag that comes with the 10/22TD?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it the exact same bag that comes with the 10/22TD?
View Quote

Yes. It makes for a pretty darned inconspicuous carry bag although it gets pretty heavy with a complete rifle and some full mags. Also the sleeve for the upper isn't big enough to contain an upper with an optic attached. Ruger should probably make a bigger pocket for the upper and then maybe make some velcro straps or something to hold the barrel.

Does Ruger sell this bag in any other colors?  I'll have to look on the shoprugrer site. I think a blue or red bag would be completely low key especially with no logos or a velcro patch from a skate board company or something.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top