Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2015 9:09:54 AM EDT
4 different rounds, actually. Factory 223 ammo. The bolt wouldn't go all the way into battery. We had to mortar the bolt back 3 different times and use a cleaning rod to open it on the 4th try (after stupidly using the fwd assist). Sent it back to Ruger unfired. Looking at the brass didn't offer any clues (burr marks/shiny/ dented areas).  The tech support operator asked if we tried Winchester ammo. Ummm, no. Didn't think you needed to cherry pick ammo brands on a brand new rifle.

Anyone heard of anything like this before? I thought they were test fired at the factory. All three undamaged rounds fired fine in a DPMS rifle. The 4th was junk after being smashed by cleaning rod.

Update: my buddy texted and said the rifle is ready for pick up. They told him it was 'the gas rings' but it isn't sitting well with him. Not sure exactly what they did to it. He's going to take it out this afternoon.

Update #2: He inserted a pmag loaded with American Eagle when he got home and racked it. The thing locked up tight and he had to use a cleaning rod to unfuck it. Tried again. This time he videod it on his iPhone.  Sure enough, same thing happened. He emailed the video and sent the rifle back to Ruger via Cabelas. Fast forward to today. He received an apologetic phone call from Ruger. Apparently his rifle has the 'wrong barrel'.

The Ruger rep couldn't understand how it had even been test fired

Bummer he had to send it back twice for them to make good. I still love my 1022T and Security Six.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you try cleaning it?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Chamber brush, CLP
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you try only the one brand of ammo? You may have had an out of spec lot coupled with a tight chamber. It does happen.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#4]
American Eagle, PMC Bronze, Tula, and a trusted hand load

All rounds but the Tula were fired afterward in a DPMS. The Tula got smashed by a rod
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:17:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Failure to chamber a round that last little bit, and needing to mortar the rifle to get the round out, is usually an indication of out of spec, improper crimp, ammo.  Since you claim you tried different brands of ammo, it sounds like there might have been an obstruction in the chamber.  Maybe they test fired it and the last round fired left a brass ring in the chamber.

Another possibility is that the bolt carrier group was taken apart and re-assembled improperly.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#6]
It definitely sucks having to send a new gun back but Ruger's customer service is top notch.  They'll get your friend hooked up.

In the meantime, let me post this of me and my AR556:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#7]
And the purpose of a mag dump is ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I do it because I can.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I do it because I can.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do it because I can.

After you've spent time behind a MG, mag dumps become sort of silly.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do it because I can.

I certainly don't do mag dumps on every single rifle I own, every time I go to the range, mostly because I would get kicked off the range, and I can't afford that much ammo.  But mag dumps are a good way to stress the rifle and check for reliability problems.  I don't see what the big deal is
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Wyatt1,

Did you guys do anything further to try and determine what the problem might be?  Did you contact Ruger about getting the gun back in for warranty work?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wyatt1,

Did you guys do anything further to try and determine what the problem might be?  Did you contact Ruger about getting the gun back in for warranty work?
View Quote

He stated in the original post that they sent it back unfired.  I am curious to know what they determined.  When I sent a couple of rifles in, I had them back in about two weeks so they should have it back by now.  Especially if there was nothing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He stated in the original post that they sent it back unfired.  I am curious to know what they determined.  When I sent a couple of rifles in, I had them back in about two weeks so they should have it back by now.  Especially if there was nothing wrong with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wyatt1,

Aha! Reading is fundamental.

But, yeah. My experience with Ruger's customer service department has always been good and usually pretty timely. I wonder what might be happening in this case.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I certainly don't do mag dumps on every single rifle I own, every time I go to the range, mostly because I would get kicked off the range, and I can't afford that much ammo.  But mag dumps are a good way to stress the rifle and check for reliability problems.  I don't see what the big deal is
View Quote

Not a problem, it just doesn't prove anything a 4-5 round jag doesn't.  4-5 rds are enough to demonstrate fast rate feeding, extraction, and ejection while 30 or 40 rd mag dumps aren't anywhere near large enough to demonstrate max temp, machinegun like operational function and reliability.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not a problem, it just doesn't prove anything a 4-5 round jag doesn't.  4-5 rds are enough to demonstrate fast rate feeding, extraction, and ejection while 30 or 40 rd mag dumps aren't anywhere near large enough to demonstrate max temp, machinegun like operational function and reliability.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It proves more to me than it does you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#16]
He just got the rifle back from Ruger and tried it out.

Failed to chamber on the first try with factory brass cased ammo. Failed to chamber the second try.

Damn gun has yet to ever fully chamber and fire a round. He is pissed off big time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He just got the rifle back from Ruger and tried it out.

Failed to chamber on the first try with factory brass cased ammo. Failed to chamber the second try.

Damn gun has yet to ever fully chamber and fire a round. He is pissed off big time.
View Quote

Is he riding the charging handle forward?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I have two of them though one is a 6.8 and they have never failed to chamber a round, nor failed to fire a round or eject one properly either. (Unless I had the piston turned off to see how single shot worked.)  I have to think that if Ruger sent it back they checked to see if it chambered rounds.  Something else has to be the issue IMO.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have two of them though one is a 6.8 and they have never failed to chamber a round, nor failed to fire a round or eject one properly either. (Unless I had the piston turned off to see how single shot worked.)  I have to think that if Ruger sent it back they checked to see if it chambered rounds.  Something else has to be the issue IMO.
View Quote

Exactly!

Bullets turned backwards in the clip???

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Not sure, I don't have the gun in my hands but my buddy is not a novice and it's not his only AR.

Insert mag, rack, boom. Should be easy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Tell him to lock the bolt back, insert mag that has been downloaded by 2 rounds, then hit the bolt release.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Go over there and take some pictures for us so we can help. Ar's are so easy to fix and tinker with he shouldn't have to send it back to the shit birds at ruger
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#23]
He loaded a round singly (dropped it in) and hit the release. The round chambered almost all the way and lodged in the chamber. He was unable to mortar it out by hand and actually put a hard piece of plastic against the charging handle release and pounded it back with a hammer to get the round unstuck. That was the 5th different brand of 223 ammo he tried and they all jammed. He then called Ruger back, pissed, took the rifle back to Cabelas again, and sent it back to Ruger. He is hoping they'll swap out his upper this time.

Thanks for the offer to help at any rate. You guys are all great. That's why I hang out here.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Did he try loading some rounds in a magazine.
Inserting the magazine.
Pulling back on the charging handle and releasing it.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:33:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Inserting the magazine.

View Quote

He did that the first four times. I'm not sure I would want an upper that required download magazines, charged only with the handle, couldn't be loaded singly, or needed special brand ammo. It should not require any certain special techniques to fire a round in a factory new rifle.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

He did that the first four times. I'm not sure I would want an upper that required download magazines, charged only with the handle, couldn't be loaded singly, or needed special brand ammo. It should not require any certain special techniques to fire a round in a factory new rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Inserting the magazine.

So when he got the rifle back, he didn't even attempt to load it in a regular manner?  He tried once, to drop a round in the chamber, it wouldn't work, so he got pissed?

Most ARs will not take a fully loaded magazine unless you have the bolt locked back first.  And usually, when people tell someone to download by a couple, it is a nice way of saying don't overload the magazine.  Even in the Marine Corps, we were taught to only put 28 rounds in a 30 round magazine, so that isn't poor advice.  The AR was only designed to be charged by the charging handle, so I am not sure what your point was there.  Most ARs will take some break-in before they will single load, as the extractor spring is too stiff on a new rifle, and I am pretty sure the Ruger does not require special ammo.  When a tech recommends a certain ammunition, it is their way of saying try some factory loaded proper specification ammunition instead of BillyJoeBob's reload specials.

You claim he has tried different factory ammo, but doubt it.  The "problem" you are describing sounds like out of spec factory, or improperly handloaded, ammo.  If the rifle went back for a problem, Ruger test fired it before sending it back.  You say he knows ARs, but the questions or points you make, or have parroted, probably because he made them, leads one to believe neither of you know much about ARs.  I am personally going to have to raise the BS flag on this thread and I am unsubscribing.  Good luck to your friend with his rifle.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So when he got the rifle back, he didn't even attempt to load it in a regular manner?  He tried once, to drop a round in the chamber, it wouldn't work, so he got pissed? He tried it twice, actually, come to find out.

Most ARs will not take a fully loaded magazine unless you have the bolt locked back first. Not the case with any of mine or his other AR. And usually, when people tell someone to download by a couple, it is a nice way of saying don't overload the magazine. Feel free to be direct, even if it is BS advice. 31 rounds in a 30 round mag is overloaded.  Even in the Marine Corps, we were taught to only put 28 rounds in a 30 round magazine, so that isn't poor advice.  The AR was only designed to be charged by the charging handle, So anyone who slaps or thumbs the bolt release or uses a BAD lever after a mag change is just really lucky when the round chambers? so I am not sure what your point was there.  Most ARs will take some break-in before they will single load, as the extractor spring is too stiff on a new rifle, and I am pretty sure the Ruger does not require special ammo. When a tech recommends a certain ammunition, it is their way of saying try some factory loaded proper specification ammunition instead of BillyJoeBob's reload specials. Again, reading is fundamental. A total of 4 different factory loads and a handload and again, the 3 rounds that were undamaged were placed on the top of a magazine and fired without issue in my cheesy DPMS the first time it happened. BillyJoeBob handload included

You claim he has tried different factory ammo, but doubt it. I witnessed it myself. Why lie about it? I listed the brands in one of my original posts  The "problem" you are describing sounds like out of spec factory, or improperly handloaded, ammo.  If the rifle went back for a problem, Ruger test fired it before sending it back.  You say he knows ARs, but the questions or points you make, or have parroted, probably because he made them, leads one to believe neither of you know much about ARs. I am personally going to have to raise the BS flag on this thread and I am unsubscribing.  Good luck to your friend with his rifle.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Inserting the magazine.

So when he got the rifle back, he didn't even attempt to load it in a regular manner?  He tried once, to drop a round in the chamber, it wouldn't work, so he got pissed? He tried it twice, actually, come to find out.

Most ARs will not take a fully loaded magazine unless you have the bolt locked back first. Not the case with any of mine or his other AR. And usually, when people tell someone to download by a couple, it is a nice way of saying don't overload the magazine. Feel free to be direct, even if it is BS advice. 31 rounds in a 30 round mag is overloaded.  Even in the Marine Corps, we were taught to only put 28 rounds in a 30 round magazine, so that isn't poor advice.  The AR was only designed to be charged by the charging handle, So anyone who slaps or thumbs the bolt release or uses a BAD lever after a mag change is just really lucky when the round chambers? so I am not sure what your point was there.  Most ARs will take some break-in before they will single load, as the extractor spring is too stiff on a new rifle, and I am pretty sure the Ruger does not require special ammo. When a tech recommends a certain ammunition, it is their way of saying try some factory loaded proper specification ammunition instead of BillyJoeBob's reload specials. Again, reading is fundamental. A total of 4 different factory loads and a handload and again, the 3 rounds that were undamaged were placed on the top of a magazine and fired without issue in my cheesy DPMS the first time it happened. BillyJoeBob handload included

You claim he has tried different factory ammo, but doubt it. I witnessed it myself. Why lie about it? I listed the brands in one of my original posts  The "problem" you are describing sounds like out of spec factory, or improperly handloaded, ammo.  If the rifle went back for a problem, Ruger test fired it before sending it back.  You say he knows ARs, but the questions or points you make, or have parroted, probably because he made them, leads one to believe neither of you know much about ARs. I am personally going to have to raise the BS flag on this thread and I am unsubscribing.  Good luck to your friend with his rifle.  

Stick to GD, guy. Thank you for unsubscribing.
I will update when we hear something back from Ruger. Thanks again to the guys trying to be helpful.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Bumpity
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't have as much faith in Ruger CS.  I sent a SP101 22 back, and it came back with BOTH problems I sent it in for.  I didn't bother with them again, and fixed it myself.  (Canted front sight and broken rear sight....both on the same little pistol).

Doc

Edit to add;  I am glad they made it right. I really like Ruger products.  Just be sure you check it out as much as possible before you take it home.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm  glad Ruger sent a new one. My personal experiences  with Ruger have always been  positive  and I would have  been  very surprised had they not made this right.

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Ruger AR556 also and had some feeding problem with the rifle when I used P-mags. Tried the 30 rounder that came with the gun and and it would try to feed two rounds(only loaded 10 rounds of XM193). I always use 20 round p-mags when I'm at the range(loaded with 10 rounds). Gun was well cleaned before it was ever shot and lubed with slip 2000. Took the gun to the range with 200 rounds of XM193 and a 20 round D&H  aluminum mag and a lancer 20 round mag and a 20 round p-mag. Loaded the NEW curve p-mag with 10 round and close the bolt and two rounds tried to chamber. Put the p-mag back in my gun bag and ran the D&H aluminum   mag(100 rounds) and my lancer mag(100 rounds) WITH NO PROBLEMS. I run p-mags in all my AR's but this Ruger doesn't like the p-mags. I even changed out my young national match bolt carrier group from my SBR and put it in the Ruger with the p-mag and still had the same problem.    
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Ruger  sent him a new rifle and Cabelas picked up the shipping. No issues at all when we went to the range.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:06:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ruger  sent him a new rifle and Cabelas picked up the shipping. No issues at all when we went to the range.
View Quote

I'm glad to hear it all finally got sorted out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top