Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2015 9:29:02 AM EDT
I had an older mini-14 in the past, but I didn't keep it for long and traded it for something else, and now I miss having a mini.  Local gun store has a mini-14 NRA version for 650 bucks.  Should I buy it or just get a new one?  (I have plenty of AR's already).
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#1]
In.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Fo.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Considering I paid Walmart $765 for a plain Ranch Rifle two years ago, I'd be inclined to say that's a decent price, or I got hosed.  That NRA edition is it new or used?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It is used, but looks like it is in good shape.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess it comes down to what you want to do with it.  You, like I have ARs already so you're not buying it for extreme accuracy I guess.  Do you like the 16" bbl and Hogue OverMolded black stock or would you want a wood stock and the 18" bbl? What mags does it come with? How about the lock?  Do you plan on using Iron sights or optics.  The new Ranch Rifles come with 2 mags (20rd or 5rd), 1" rings (you can send them into Ruger to swap for 30mm for free), and a picatinney rail that screws on over the ring mounts so you can mount just about anything.  

Check to see what the one at the GS comes with. If you like the wood stock and 18" bbl over a 16" one, it might make more sense $$ wise to just get a new Ranch Rifle.  As you likely know, the newer Minis like the NRA version are more accurate out of the box than your old one so you should be pleasantly surprised but adding a SOCOM length Accu-Strut in part for the 'look' and also because of the accuracy increase isn't a bad idea.

I got my NIB 583 Series Ranch Rifle recently from Impact Guns for $686 + $10 shipping to my FFL. I added the SOCOM length Accu-Strut, Choate Handguard (painted broun) a Mini200 Rear Sight (I'm keeping this an irons only plinker), Wilson 1911 buffers, and a spare M1 Carbine sling I had laying around.  I've got GWG's making a set of gas bushings to slow down the cycling and the look I got is very similar to my M1A. It just comes down to what you want.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess it comes down to what you want to do with it.  You, like I have ARs already so you're not buying it for extreme accuracy I guess.  Do you like the 16" bbl and Hogue OverMolded black stock or would you want a wood stock and the 18" bbl? What mags does it come with? How about the lock?  Do you plan on using Iron sights or optics.  The new Ranch Rifles come with 2 mags (20rd or 5rd), 1" rings (you can send them into Ruger to swap for 30mm for free), and a picatinney rail that screws on over the ring mounts so you can mount just about anything.  

Check to see what the one at the GS comes with. If you like the wood stock and 18" bbl over a 16" one, it might make more sense $$ wise to just get a new Ranch Rifle.  As you likely know, the newer Minis like the NRA version are more accurate out of the box than your old one so you should be pleasantly surprised but adding a SOCOM length Accu-Strut in part for the 'look' and also because of the accuracy increase isn't a bad idea.

I got my NIB 583 Series Ranch Rifle recently from Impact Guns for $686 + $10 shipping to my FFL. I added the SOCOM length Accu-Strut, Choate Handguard (painted broun) a Mini200 Rear Sight (I'm keeping this an irons only plinker), Wilson 1911 buffers, and a spare M1 Carbine sling I had laying around.  I've got GWG's making a set of gas bushings to slow down the cycling and the look I got is very similar to my M1A. It just comes down to what you want.
View Quote

I want to keep it simple, no rails, ACOG's, red dots or lights attached to it, a rifle that I can leave on the the trunk of my car. If I can hit a pizza box at 100 yards I will be happy with it.  Last but not least (I know it may sound silly) I like the sound it makes when firing.  Reminds me of the M1 carbine but cheaper to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Not silly at all.  Besides my M1A I have 2 M1 Carbines and 2 M1 Garands.  I love the wood and steel of older designs.  You might want to think about a Ranch Rifle that looks like this.
ETA:  While the ARs are accurate and all, they just don't feel like real rifles to me.  My RR, even though I've owned it a short time, feels natural in my hands.  It feels like a semi-auto version of my all time favorites, my leverguns. It's light weight, compact, shoulders well, and the .223 round makes everyone feel like a sharpshooter.  I guess I'm just old fashioned.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#8]
If its the taper barrel, jump on it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]
ALL the NRA Minis had the "new" taper barrel from the factory.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#10]
FO!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a used NRA mini about 3 months ago and gave $650 with Nikon .223 scope mounted.
I like the shorter heavier barrel and the ease of scope mounting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd FO. I've been looking at the mini again after having gotten rid of mine years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top