Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2015 7:37:02 PM EDT
I looked around and didn't see this specially covered anywhere so here it goes. If it's a dupe sorry I tried.

I have a thread going into the .308 Semi-auto forum getting opinions on the Colt 901 and the Ruger 762. After reading the interwebs about all these malfunctions with some 762's and Magazines I decided to call Ruger and ask the following ?

"Will the latest production SR762's work with Gen 3 P mags and if so what is the serial number range to look for?"

The response was something like this:

If your gun comes with Gen 2 P mags it will work for sure with those and maybe with DPMS metal mags. No gen three.

If your gun comes with DPMS mags it might work with Gen 2 P Mags. No gen three.

If your gun comes with Gen 3 P mags it should work with Gen 2 and DPMS.

The guy was nice about it but said he couldn't tell me the serial number cutoff for the latest revision and he had to read verbatim from a tech paper he had pulled.

He also said some small parts are able to be purchased but some are not and he indicated that the * next to the part listing would indicate that in the manual with the gun.

So hope I helped someone out. And those with the 762 can you post the parts from the manual that are available fore purchase? I would like to know what I can get as spares if decode to go with the Ruger.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you notice that "all those threads" about malfunctions were from when the rifle was first introduced in 2013?  If you buy a new rifle, it will come with Gen3 PMAGs, and work with all Gen2 and DPMS mags.  It is a non-issue.  Even if you buy one of the older ones and it doesn't work with Gen3s, you can send it in and they will fix it so it works with them.

I don't buy new rifles expecting to buy small parts, so I can't address your other concern.  If something fails, they should fix it on their dime.  What parts do you expect to need and why?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope I saw them but didn't connect and I wanted an answer straight from the source so I called them and that's what I got. Just wanted to share it here in case someone else was wondering the same thing.

As far as parts, I like to be prepared that's it, no other reason.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:54:56 AM EDT
[#3]
My SR762 was a very early model that came with Gen 2 Pmags because the Gen 3s were just coming out.  It works fine with both Gen 2s and Gen 3s and has never been sent to Ruger for any repair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top