Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Just imagine if some engineering genius at Ruger said -look boss! I designed a Mini 30 that takes available AK47 mags!!!...
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Today you can in large part because of the glut of AR manufacturers. How about 2 years ago when ARs were 2 large and Rugers were a bit cheaper than they are now?  And are all those budget ARs really decent quality?  I think not as you get what you pay for.  Hey, when they were the rage, you could buy a Yugo for really, really cheap but cheap doesn't equate with quality and they never were as good a car as a Honda Civic. They still sell new Hondas but try to find a new Yugo in the states.  Truth be told, cheap isn't usually the most cost effective way to buy a durable product. In fact, it usually turns out to be the most expensive way in the long run. and? A bcm complete upper and psa complete lower with magpul stuff clocks in at 708, 584 if you get a psa upper, not counting ffl fees and shipping, while a mini 14 seems to be around 730

When I bought my ARs in early 2000s, RRAs were good quality commercial products.  I bought them not because they were cheap but because I liked their fit, finish, and 2 stage triggers.  When my son 'liberated' my middy, I bought a S&W Magpul Moe version middy because it was very like what I'd configured my RRA middy to be.  Could I have spent less?  Certainly but I chose to spend more to get the quality I wanted.  After thousands of rds through them without a single hitch, I'm convinced I made the right choice.  

People bitch about Ruger's proprietary mag prices but then go out and blow a $1000 on 100 mags for their ARs.  They aren't going to fight WWIII and even if they were, no one can carry 100 mags on their body so no one needs 100 mags, they just want them.  No problem if they do, it's their money but to argue that they need them is silly.  I have 10ea 30rd and 2ea 20rd for each of my ARs and that to is overkill for anything reasonable.  I got them mainly because my AMS AR cases will carry that many; 2 in each pouch and 2 in an accessory pouch.  I only have 5ea 20rd mags for my Ranch Rifle because I realized that they are plenty.  After I shoot 100rds, it's nice to take a break to reload the mags. all i have to say to this is

But, to each his own and what works for one might not for another.  I have both the funds to purchase and the room in my collection to get what I want.  Many don't have that luxury and they must make a choice.  It's not right or wrong, it's a choice. the ar is the more economical choice, hence the popularity  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Between the fact that I can build a better AR cheaper and the proprietary mags, I have little desire for one.

I already have an SKS, AK and more than one AR, short of someone having a $300 fire sale, I honestly can't see myself ever owning one.

Today you can in large part because of the glut of AR manufacturers. How about 2 years ago when ARs were 2 large and Rugers were a bit cheaper than they are now?  And are all those budget ARs really decent quality?  I think not as you get what you pay for.  Hey, when they were the rage, you could buy a Yugo for really, really cheap but cheap doesn't equate with quality and they never were as good a car as a Honda Civic. They still sell new Hondas but try to find a new Yugo in the states.  Truth be told, cheap isn't usually the most cost effective way to buy a durable product. In fact, it usually turns out to be the most expensive way in the long run. and? A bcm complete upper and psa complete lower with magpul stuff clocks in at 708, 584 if you get a psa upper, not counting ffl fees and shipping, while a mini 14 seems to be around 730

When I bought my ARs in early 2000s, RRAs were good quality commercial products.  I bought them not because they were cheap but because I liked their fit, finish, and 2 stage triggers.  When my son 'liberated' my middy, I bought a S&W Magpul Moe version middy because it was very like what I'd configured my RRA middy to be.  Could I have spent less?  Certainly but I chose to spend more to get the quality I wanted.  After thousands of rds through them without a single hitch, I'm convinced I made the right choice.  

People bitch about Ruger's proprietary mag prices but then go out and blow a $1000 on 100 mags for their ARs.  They aren't going to fight WWIII and even if they were, no one can carry 100 mags on their body so no one needs 100 mags, they just want them.  No problem if they do, it's their money but to argue that they need them is silly.  I have 10ea 30rd and 2ea 20rd for each of my ARs and that to is overkill for anything reasonable.  I got them mainly because my AMS AR cases will carry that many; 2 in each pouch and 2 in an accessory pouch.  I only have 5ea 20rd mags for my Ranch Rifle because I realized that they are plenty.  After I shoot 100rds, it's nice to take a break to reload the mags. all i have to say to this is

But, to each his own and what works for one might not for another.  I have both the funds to purchase and the room in my collection to get what I want.  Many don't have that luxury and they must make a choice.  It's not right or wrong, it's a choice. the ar is the more economical choice, hence the popularity  

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought my 5.56 Ranch Rifle for $689 + $10 shipping to my FFL last March
while locally they were $710 - $740.  There are certainly cheaper AR
upper & lower combinations out there but then there is a lot of
cheap junk out there all the time.  Plastic is much cheaper than wood; aluminum is cheaper than steel too.   So, what's the point of the cheap
argument anyway?  If you buy something because it's cheap, that's what
you get; something cheap.  If you buy what you want at a fair price,
that's what you get; something you want.  
If you're that cheap that price is everything, why do you buy firearms at all?  They don't make you money, they don't save you money, they don't avoid other expenses.  Also, why do you go out for recreation?  Why don't you stay home, with the heat or A/C off, in the dark, all alone, eating the cheapest food you can find, drinking only water, with no phone, no TV, no computer, no games, no nothing?  That's cheaper than what you do now.  You'd save more money that way wouldn't you?   You don't because you want to enjoy life, that's why.

As to my 20rd mag selection, what difference can that possibly make?  I can buy 30rd mags for
it, I just don't choose to.  I also didn't choose to buy 10rd or 5
rds mags for it either. So what!  I have both aluminum and Magpul plastic Mags
for my ARs. The Magpul are more expensive.  Are you arguing that they are not worth buying?  I think not.  Are you arguing that M1As are also a stupid choice because their mags are more expensive than AR mags too?  I think not.  Are you arguing that a Nikon Monarch or Nightforce scope wouldn't be worth considering because anyone can find a much cheaper scope out there?  I think not.
I
agree that the ARs are more popular, so what!  They are more popular than M1As, M1 garands, M1 Carbines and cheaper too.  More popular than AKs, SKS, FALs, bolt actions, pumps, or
leverguns as well.  So what!   Are you saying that everyone is wrong because they have anything other than an AR?  Of course you're not.  

The point is that there is room for all types of firearms.  Stop being hung up with your, "if it ain't an AR it's got to be wrong" mindset and accept that there are other firearms out there that have a place in an armory too.  Some people like the Ranch Rifle in part because it isn't like an AR, because it doesn't function like one, because it will never be confused with one.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
My Mini Thirty in its Archangel stock. Cool stock but very heavy. Weighing more then my large frame AR. It's currently back in a Choate stock until I get a set of dedicated fixed open sights, to shed some weight.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have always wanted a mini but remained hesitant because of the bad reputation I have read about on the web. It's nice to see some positive views here. And I will admit I'm one of the guys who wishes they'd bring back the old school folder
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top