Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2015 9:43:44 AM EDT
I have a newer Mini 14 and have always loved the Mini 14 (had several over the years).

I'm looking at getting a Mini 30 to make it maybe a hog hunter and just to have really.

The Mini 14 in its wood stock is the rifle my wife always says that is a pretty rifle now like your evil black rifles. I know a work in progress but she is coming around.

I have found a Mini 30 with 16in barrel/flash hider with the black synthetic stock I'm thinking about buying. (going to replace the stock with something wood).

Just curious why the Mini 30 and even the Mini 14 are not very popular.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#1]
It's because they're not cool looking. I've had the Mini 14 for years and it always goes bang.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Accuracy issues, proprietary mags, and relatively high cost compared to an AR.  Almost any AR will shoot rings around a Mini and with careful shopping can do it for less money.,
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#3]
There are several reasons.  They use to have serious accuracy issues due to really skinny barrels. No decent after market mags, while the factory mags are a little pricey.  Many people didnt like Bill Rugers political stances.  Sometimes there is some fireing pin issues, and the gun has to goto the factory to fit a new pin.  The AR is simply a better platform for 556/223 in every way.

Now with Bill gone, the company has shown some love to the Mini.  Much better accuracy.  More reliable.  But even still, its hard to compete with the AR, especially now.

That said, the new MINI 30 Tacticals are AWESOME!  Not sure if all do, but mine has a full size barrel past the gas block, unlike the taper of the new 14s.
Some have had problems with some com block ammo.  Wolf poly and tula is unreliable for most.  Mine feeds on Tula pretty well, only an occasional hickup. Never tried any Wolf.   Brown bear is much like tula, but better accuracy.  It loves Silver and Golden Bear. Of coarse all brass case works just fine.  I found Silver Bear SP to be just as accurate as Winchester brass and Hornaday steel case.

When it ,comes to 7.62 x 39, The mini 30 is my top choice.  Just dont care for the AK.  I think my mini can out shoot an AK.  After some DIYs, like trigger, stock bedding, a buffer, and polishing the contact points, it has become a real good shooter.  
I dont think the strut does much, but maybe a heat sink since its pure aluminum... And it looks cool.

Its a very lightweight package, and a ton of fun to shoot.
So why isnt the 30 more popular?  Marketing?  Not sure really.  It should be.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't think Minis were unpopular.  However, a number of years back they became rather expensive compared to ARs, which most will agree is a more versatile and useful platform for most applications.  The lack of a significant price difference becomes startling when one factors in a few 30 round magazines for either platform.  Add in the recent AR craze and I can see why they don't sell as well as they used to.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with the above but would add that both the 14 and 30 look 'old fashioned' to many young folks who grew up in the AR age and don't have allowances for all the rails and junk that you can throw on a AR. Ergonomically, it's not as accurate to shoot as the AR design and that makes it harder to do well.  I like that but many young people don't as they want to believe that they can hit anything because they are that good, not because they've practiced. I got mine very recently after years of considering one to use as an irons only plinker because it's old fashioned; wood and steel vs plastic and aluminum.

Plus, because of the better materials, they are much more expensive to make and therefore to sell than either an AR or AK.  Then, they have a reputation of needing some tuning to get decent accuracy.  Don't get me wrong, I have 3 ARs that will shoot rings around my brand
new 583 series 5.56 Ranch Rifle but that's not the point of it and it's not why I got it.  I like the traditional look better, I like the feel of wood at my cheek, it's a more
compact and traditional design, it's a better feeling rifle than my ARs, it shoulders better and isn't as clunky.  I'm excited to be shooting .223/5.56 again as there is some challenge with it.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#6]
had one for years(14),sold it.

don't miss it.

old roomate had a 30,wouldn't group worth shit.

clown

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#7]
The reason I dumped the Mini 14 was inaccuracy. Since that is now corrected, I'd love to have another. The Mini 30 would make a nice hog gun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Please don't lock this thread but I like the Mini14.

As accurate as my M4gery's while both are using iron sights.  

I've posted accuracy pics many times.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Not just mags, but mag changes are slow.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Had one I bought in the early nineties and sold it.  Poor accuracy and magazines, same as many others have said.  Bill Ruger's policy of limiting the factory 20 and 30 round magazines to government sales was part of the problem.  Mostly, I bought an ar15 later and there was no contest between the two.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#11]
It really comes down to personal taste.  I for one actually prefer the feel of rifles like the Mini-14 as I have many including M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, and of course an M1A. I like the challenge of learning to shoot them well.  However, I also like leverguns as well having 8 of them both 1800s styles and more modern styles.  I'm not a fan of bolt actions or the modern era battle rifles at all and other than the ARs, I don't own a single one.  

My son loves the WWII protagonists' rifles and pistol for collecting and while I've shot them all a couple of rounds, it's just to say to myself that I did.  A friend of my son's is the opposite of my tastes, he has many modern foreign rifles but no leverguns or wood and steel types.  No position is better, or right, or correct, just different much like the Ford vs Chevy discussions that never end either.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I know that one issue with Mini-30's was Ruger's use of .308" diameter barrels when all the surplus 7.62x39 used .311" diameter projectiles.  Never understood why they did that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are several reasons.  They use to have serious accuracy issues due to really skinny barrels. No decent after market mags, while the factory mags are a little pricey.  Many people didnt like Bill Rugers political stances.  Sometimes there is some fireing pin issues, and the gun has to goto the factory to fit a new pin.  The AR is simply a better platform for 556/223 in every way.

Now with Bill gone, the company has shown some love to the Mini.  Much better accuracy.  More reliable.  But even still, its hard to compete with the AR, especially now.

That said, the new MINI 30 Tacticals are AWESOME!  Not sure if all do, but mine has a full size barrel past the gas block, unlike the taper of the new 14s.

Some have had problems with some com block ammo.  Wolf poly and tula is unreliable for most.  Mine feeds on Tula pretty well, only an occasional hickup. Never tried any Wolf.   Brown bear is much like tula, but better accuracy.  It loves Silver and Golden Bear. Of coarse all brass case works just fine.  I found Silver Bear SP to be just as accurate as Winchester brass and Hornaday steel case.

When it ,comes to 7.62 x 39, The mini 30 is my top choice.  Just dont care for the AK.  I think my mini can out shoot an AK.  After some DIYs, like trigger, stock bedding, a buffer, and polishing the contact points, it has become a real good shooter.  

I dont think the strut does much, but maybe a heat sink since its pure aluminum... And it looks cool.

http://i.imgur.com/RKuqwSb.png
View Quote
If more Minis came like this from the factory, they'd be more popular.

The other reason?  Incompatible magazines with anything else, and the fact that there's not decades worth of higher capacity options on the market for cheap.

Even so, I've thought about one for a number of years, just because.  For a KISS irons gun, they're great.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Because the ONLY advantage, in practical terms, they have over a AK or AR variant is that they don't LOOK like an AK or AR.

I can see liking the feel of them, appreciating the pseudo-M1/M14 type action. I don't think a guy is stupid for owning one. They aren't necessarily bad for any reason, assuming you don't get an early barn-door 14 or one of the Mini-30s that had a .308 bore.

But why aren't they more popular? Because you can do more with less $$ by going AK or AR.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because it is expensive
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Because it is expensive
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it is expensive

got mine for $675 new.  Too much for ya huh?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it is expensive

Considering you can build a CHF Palmetto AR for less, uh, yeah...
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it is expensive

I can get a good AK for less than that
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#19]
A built palmetto AR with an FN made CHF barrel will cost around $600-$750 depending on whether you get stuff during their specials.

Zastava AKs run about $600.

It is for these reasons that the Ruger Minis have been relegated to a niche market nowadays. Dial it back to $499 or so and I'd probably strongly consider one, esp. now that Ruger has re-released the standard cap magazines. Re-introduce the factory folding stock on top of all that and I'd definitely get one.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A built palmetto AR with an FN made CHF barrel will cost around $600-$750 depending on whether you get stuff during their specials.

It is for these reasons that the Ruger Minis have been relegated to a niche market nowadays. Dial it back to $499 or so and I'd probably strongly consider one, esp. now that Ruger has re-released the standard cap magazines. Re-introduce the factory folding stock on top of all that and I'd definitely get one.
View Quote

Agreed. And for just a little more you can get a really nice Arsenal AK or BCM/Colt AR. There is no reason to get a Mini.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Agreed. And for just a little more you can get a really nice Arsenal AK or BCM/Colt AR. There is no reason to get a Mini.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correction.  There is no reason for you to get a mini.  You have a tight budget, thats cool...  not everyone wants to go hunting carrying an AK.  Not everone wants an AR in x39..  Some people dont like shooting an AK.  Some people like to buy American guns.  Shall I go on?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Correction.  There is no reason for you to get a mini.  You have a tight budget, thats cool...  not everyone wants to go hunting carrying an AK.  Not everone wants an AR in x39..  Some people dont like shooting an AK.  Some people like to buy American guns.  Shall I go on?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever you like man. Have fun with your inferior platform.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I have always liked my Mini 14.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As demonstrated, I don't reckon it's about budget very much. Otherwise you're correct, different strokes and all that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I like the minis but they don't do anything that an SKS or an AR can't do better.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I get on an 8X10 paper at 100 yards out of 10 rounds fired maybe 2 fliers
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#28]
They were popular in my neck of the woods with Vietnam vets because they weren't ARs. I never cared for them, had a 30 and sold it.

If ever wanted another x39 rifle..I'd just get an AK
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it is expensive

If $675 is your out the door price I'd say you did pretty well indeed. I think the last time I saw a Mini 14 Tactical for under $700 new round these parts was probably 9-10 years ago when the then-new Tactical versions were just coming out. Most Minis I see around here new (regular or tactical) seem to be priced $750-$800. Reasonably expensive when a lot of ARs (including Ruger's own AR556) goes for less than that. Kind of a tough sell at that point.

I got a Mini 14 Tactical some months back and do like it thus far--plenty easy enough to hit a steel plate out to 200 yards from the unsupported prone with iron sights, but I'm still evaluating what I think about it compared to an AR. I'm not necessarily sold on the viewpoint some Mini supporters put forth about it being more reliable than the average AR. It sure is fun to bring out and shoot though!

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:51:50 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

I can get a good AK for less than that

I don't doubt this, but do think you have an easier time shooting AKs at distance with irons compared to the Mini (either the 14 or 30)? Maybe you do, I don't know? I bring it up because I've owned many AKs over the years and the only two I managed with practice to shoot reasonably well with at distance using the iron sights were the Arsenal SA M-7SF and the Zastava (Mitchell Arms Import) AK-47/M77B1 in 7.62x51/.308. I know there are people out there that are a lot better than me shooting AKs with irons at longer ranges but definitely from how I've seen people shoot these guns firsthand I'd feel confident in stating many of them struggle with the AK's iron sights past about 100 yards or so.

But obviously it's not like people are limited to using only irons on their AKs (or Minis) either--so that's something else to consider.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:01:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I like the minis but they don't do anything that an SKS or an AR can't do better.
View Quote

The SKS? I don't know about that one. I can't speak to the reliability of the Mini 30 compared to SKS as I don't know enough about the Mini 30, but if capacity is important both the Mini 14 and Mini 30 beat the SKS in capacity unless you are talking about the Chinese SKS D or M models that take AK mags without modifications...and those D models depending on condition and whether the seller knows what he has can go for close to the same price as a Mini as they are pretty scarce. Even regular SKSs in better condition are more expensive than they were 9 or 10 years ago--I simply cannot justify buying one again, as I know it will just get sold down the road. That's just me.

As far as accuracy I will say my Chinese SKS D when I had it was surprisingly accurate despite having a rather shitty trigger. I think the longer barrel and longer sight radius on the SKS helps it out some. I still would give a slight edge I think to the Mini as I still generally prefer peep sights to open sights.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought mine back in about 1982 or 83.  A stainless steel/wood stock rifle at an amazing price (that's why I jumped on it).

I had a M700 varmint special in .223 Rem. so I was already making ammo for that caliber.

I'll bet it hasn't got 100 rounds through it in all those years.  I took it out, tried several different bullet weights/powder types in it and the groups just sucked.  No way I could make a head shooting ground hog gun out of it (unless I was hunting/shooting at .22 rimfire ranges of 25 yds. or less).

Yeah, went bang every time.  Light.  Not a bad looking rifle.  Just not accurate like my M700 and/or my AR15s (I didn't buy my first AR15 till about 8 years ago.  I was amazed by the accuracy of the little short (XM177 clone) AR15 so I got another, and another, and....well, you know how that goes.

For me, it was poor accuracy that caused me to set the Mini14 aside for different rifles.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#33]
IMHO, the Achilles heel of the Mini has always been its mag. Factory mags are reliable, but expensive and in an AR dominated world, it doesn't make sense to have a 5.56 rifle use a scarce proprietary magazine. If Ruger could make a version of the Mini accept AR magazines, I think it would sell very well. Garand / M14 action, piston driven, AR mag compatible would be a very nice rifle.

Unfortunately, Ruger has no interest in doing this.

It's even more mind boggling that the Mini-30 wasn't designed for, and still doesn't take, AK47 mags. You design a 7.62x39 rifle to accepts rock-in steel mags, very similar to the AK, and you have it take proprietary mags?? That makes ZERO sense! It would be incredibly easy to design a version that accepts AK mags (which are cheap and plentiful), and yet they refuse to do it!

Mags were and are the downfall of the Mini, and I love the rifle!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm a Mini fan and currently have 2--bought the 2nd one last November on Walmart's Black Friday 20% off deal----$580 plus tax

Mags aren't a big deal---I like the 20 rounders and you can get them on sale for $25 from time to time----and they'll last forever

Also have a couple AR's and have owned AK's---but AK's are piss poor even the milled Arsenals that I owned. I'd rather have an SKS
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I like the mini14.  Never had a reliability issue, even with steel case ammo.

I'd consider a mini30, but they apparently are not reliable with steel case ammo which is a no-go for me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Accuracy issues, proprietary mags, and relatively high cost compared to an AR.  Almost any AR will shoot rings around a Mini and with careful shopping can do it for less money.,
View Quote

This, and a properly built AR is actually more reliable than the Mini.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not an engineer and have no idea if technical reasons are the cause but:

If Ruger way back when or even now would offer them as AR15 and AK47 magazine compatible they would sell a shit ton more.

I didn't like mine because it was no more accurate than a bad AK with Chinese ammo.  So what was the point?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Dumped my mini 14 due to horrible accuracy.  I don't miss it as the AR is a better platform.  As for the mini 30, the AK is a better platform in the same caliber.  The AK is cheaper, more accurate IMO, more accessories and parts are available and mags are cheap and plentiful. The AK has the proper bore for surplus/foreign ammo.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#39]
I would own one if it shot a little tighter and were only $350.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I'm not an engineer and have no idea if technical reasons are the cause but:

If Ruger way back when or even now would offer them as AR15 and AK47 magazine compatible they would sell a shit ton more.

I didn't like mine because it was no more accurate than a bad AK with Chinese ammo.  So what was the point?
View Quote
That is why they are not mor  popular, plain and simple.  They, like the C93, gambled on their proprietary mag pattern, and lost.  Hard.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I think what you get for the money is the single biggest factor. Most people have to be at least a little practical when buying a rifle, and when compared to what they are competing with in the market, the Mini-14 and 30 come out on the short end once price is figured in, especially with today's AR market.

If the Mini-14 sold for half of what it does now, drawbacks like proprietary/limited mag selection would be much easier to accept. I bought mine from a friend for $300 dollars and for that I think it's a great rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another one at that price. But there's no way I could stomach what they are asking for new ones. I just don't think it would be the best use of my money.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think what you get for the money is the single biggest factor. Most people have to be at least a little practical when buying a rifle, and when compared to what they are competing with in the market, the Mini-14 and 30 come out on the short end once price is figured in, especially with today's AR market.

If the Mini-14 sold for half of what it does now, drawbacks like proprietary/limited mag selection would be much easier to accept. I bought mine from a friend for $300 dollars and for that I think it's a great rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another one at that price. But there's no way I could stomach what they are asking for new ones. I just don't think it would be the best use of my money.

View Quote

Good post. When you can get a good AR or AK for around $600, a Mini really doesn't make much sense.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Different time and different tastes but I like mine as much as my M1A.  With a few mods, it shoots as accurately too.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I grew up with a Mini 14 and while I have since become an AR guy, I still have love for the Mini. I'm struggling with the urge to buy one, I have more than enough AR and AK rifles. Sometimes, something different is good. I think a Mini Tactical would be cool, now if I can make up my mind whether to get blued or stainless.

ARKAR
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#45]
As I said earlier, I also have 3 ARs that I enjoy, however, I think
there's room in a collection for various types of rifles in the same
caliber.  I'm not really into all the SHTF preparations so my ARs are
for fun.  Heck, I have my long range 'Apple Shooter' set up with walnut furniture in part to add weight for 400+ yd shooting and in part because it's different.

The Ranch Rifle fits in the .223 mix as a compact fun gun much like one of
my AR carbines. Both have irons and are accurate enough to hit bowling
pins out to 200 yds with my eyesight and skills.  The Ranch Rifle is considerably
more compact and doesn't feel as bulky.  It's quick to shoulder and fun to shoot.  So now I have styles for whatever.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As I said earlier, I also have 3 ARs that I enjoy, however, I think there's room in a collection for various types of rifles in the same caliber.  I'm not really into all the SHTF preparations so my ARs are for fun.  Heck, I have my long range 'Apple Shooter' set up with walnut furniture in part to add weight for 400+ yd shooting and in part because it's different.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/DSCN2807.jpg_zpsedhmxp7h.jpg

The Ranch Rifle fits in the .223 mix as a compact fun gun much like one of my AR carbines. Both have irons and are accurate enough to hit bowling pins out to 200 yds with my eyesight and skills.  The Ranch Rifle is considerablymore compact and doesn't feel as bulky.  It's quick to shoulder and fun to shoot.  So now I have styles for whatever.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/DSCN2813.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/IMG_6823_zpsp8yex9b4.jpg

View Quote

I really like how the Accu strut gives it an M14 look.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I really like how the Accu strut gives it an M14 look.
View Quote

Yep, me too.  And even though my Ranch Rifle has the new thicker barrel and the Accu-Strut is the shorter SOCOM version, it still helps a bit with tightening up the groups and helps a lot with dissipating the heat which really helps reduce vertical stringing.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Between the fact that I can build a better AR cheaper and the proprietary mags, I have little desire for one.

I already have an SKS, AK and more than one AR, short of someone having a $300 fire sale, I honestly can't see myself ever owning one.

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I own a 180 Mini-14, 185 Min-14 and a 189 Mini Thirty. All are very reliable and  a lot of fun too shoot. I bought my 185 back in '87. The Mini Thirty actually has a .308 bore with a force cone that allows it to shoot the .310 -.311 ammo. It really shines with reloaded ammo of the .308 type.

Almost two years ago I built my first AR. And have built a total of four small frame AR's and one large frame AR. Fantastic rifles! That are highly accurate. And a lot of fun to shoot also.

One day I'll buy a new Mini-14 Tactical to add to the tool box. And also complete the two small frame lowers and large frame lower I have sitting in the safe. I like options and variety. And if I had to choose just one, I'd take the Mini.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Between the fact that I can build a better AR cheaper and the proprietary mags, I have little desire for one.

I already have an SKS, AK and more than one AR, short of someone having a $300 fire sale, I honestly can't see myself ever owning one.

View Quote

Today you can in large part because of the glut of AR manufacturers. How about 2 years ago when ARs were 2 large and Rugers were a bit cheaper than they are now?  And are all those budget ARs really decent quality?  I think not as you get what you pay for.  Hey, when they were the rage, you could buy a Yugo for really, really
cheap but cheap doesn't equate with quality and they never were as good a
car as a Honda Civic. They still sell new Hondas but try to find a new
Yugo in the states.  Truth be told, cheap isn't usually the most cost
effective way to buy a durable product. In fact, it usually turns out to
be the most expensive way in the long run.

When I bought my ARs in early 2000s, RRAs were good quality commercial products.  I bought them not because they were cheap but because I liked their fit, finish, and 2 stage triggers.  When my son 'liberated' my middy, I bought a S&W Magpul Moe version middy because it was very like what I'd configured my RRA middy to be.  Could I have spent less?  Certainly but I chose to spend more to get the quality I wanted.  After thousands of rds through them without a single hitch, I'm convinced I made the right choice.  

People bitch about Ruger's proprietary mag prices but then go out and blow a $1000 on 100 mags for their ARs.  They aren't going to fight WWIII and even if they were, no one can carry 100 mags on their body so no one needs 100 mags, they just want them.  No problem if they do, it's their money but to argue that they need them is silly.  I have 10ea 30rd and 2ea 20rd for each of my ARs and that to is overkill for anything reasonable.  I got them mainly because my AMS AR cases will carry that many; 2 in each pouch and 2 in an accessory pouch.  I only have 5ea 20rd mags for my Ranch Rifle because I realized that they are plenty.  After I shoot 100rds, it's nice to take a break to reload the mags.  

But, to each his own and what works for one might not for another.  I have both the funds to purchase and the room in my collection to get what I want.  Many don't have that luxury and they must make a choice.  It's not right or wrong, it's a choice.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top