Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2015 5:06:21 PM EDT
So I decided to spend my bonus this year on a southpaw 18" stainless Ruger GSR in .308 from Bud's. Ordered it today along with a spare 5 and a 10 round polymer mag. I've been wanting a left handed centerfire bolt action for awhile (I have numerous Lee-Enfields and Mosin-Nagants) and decided the GSR will fit my needs the best. I haven't decided on an optic yet so initially I'm planning to run it with irons. I'm considering maybe just going with a micro red dot sight, which will be good out to 200 yards, about the longest shot I'll take here in PA.
While I'm waiting for it to show up at my FFL, who wants to taunt me with pics of their GSR?

3/18/15 ETA: Range report and pic below.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I decided to spend my bonus this year on a southpaw 18" stainless Ruger GSR in .308 from Bud's. Ordered it today along with a spare 5 and a 10 round polymer mag. I've been wanting a left handed centerfire bolt action for awhile (I have numerous Lee-Enfields and Mosin-Nagants) and decided the GSR will fit my needs the best. I haven't decided on an optic yet so initially I'm planning to run it with irons. I'm considering maybe just going with a micro red dot sight, which will be good out to 200 yards, about the longest shot I'll take here in PA.

While I'm waiting for it to show up at my FFL, who wants to taunt me with pics of their GSR?
View Quote

Congrats on your new toy. Can't share pics, but a friend has a GSR and let me put a few rounds thru it. I want one too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:52:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats! I have a 16" Left handed GSR.

The Micro makes a lot of sense of the GSR, I used one on mine until I picked up a Burris 2.75 scout scope.

Great rifles, I was thinking about getting a Lee-Enfield jungle carbine about the time the lefty GSR came out, after looking at the GSR in the gunshop I decided it would be a better rifle in the long run. Though I love the .303 ctg.

Sorry no pics!  

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
To me the Ruger GSR is sorta a 21st Century Jungle Carbine -- a short, full power bolt action rifle with a detachable 10 round mag, and a flash hider. By all accounts, the execution is much better, though.

I have a No.5 Mk.I (a real one, not a converted No.4) and while the concept was great, the execution was horrible. The stock design is an absolute abomination. I don't know what kind of dope the designers were smoking, but the recoil pad acts as a recoil enhancement pad, because its dimensions are smaller than the wood part of the buttstock. It handles superbly but recoil is vicious.

As an aside, I once had the chance to shoot a Gibbs Rifle Co. No.1 Mk.III "Tanker," essentially a shortened SMLE. Recoil was vigorous but not as bad as a No.5. I would have bought it except for the fact that it shot at least a foot to the side at 50 yards. The Tanker was one of several Gibbs rifles I played with, and I have to say that their gunsmiths made Century's look like Holland & Holland.

I can't wait to get the Ruger.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Posted elsewhere, but you asked.  This will be altered in the next couple of weeks.  I have a McMillan Stock Game Scout stock on the way.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice looking rifle. What muzzle brake is that?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Smith Enterprise
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/compensators-amp-muzzle-brakes/ar-15-m16-ar-style-308-good-iron-muzzle-brakes-prod12789.aspx
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Just don't order the Alpha Industries magazines.  I placed an order on FEB 5th and never heard from them.  They don't answer the phone or emails.  I filed a dispute, then claim with PayPal.  I am currently waiting for my money back so I can order some Ruger mags.  

I wanted this done before I have 3 scheduled surgeries so I could shoot with my son.  SCREW Alpha Industries.  They are not honest or trustworthy in their business dealings IMHO.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I read here or somewhere else that people were having problems getting what they ordered from Alpha Ind. Any mags I get will be Rugers.

While I'm waiting for the rifle to arrive I ordered an XS rail from Midway. I've decided against a scout scope. When I do put a scope on it, I'll probably use a Burris Fullfield TAC-30 1-4x. I have one on an AR-15 and it's the tits.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice!
I'm waiting on them to release a 6.5mm Creedmoor so I can take the recoil.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
You're gonna love it! It's become my favorite rifle. I have a steyr scout coming soon so we'll see how long the ruger is queen
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#11]
the new savage scout 11 is also pretty interesting

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the new savage scout 11 is also pretty interestinghttp://www.googlepixel.com/images/savagescout11.jpg

View Quote

I have the older model savage scout. This one is on my list as well. I love that it comes with the 3rd swivel for a Ching sling
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

the new savage scout 11 is also pretty interestinghttp://www.googlepixel.com/images/savagescout11.jpg

View Quote

Interesting. Where did you find that? It's not yet listed on Savage.com.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Whatever you do, make a very particular point of mounting the scope as low as possible.  FWIW, Leupold QRW scope mounts are my fave, as they don't self dis-assemble once detached, as do some others.

I'd suggest a scope that has reticular hold-overs for long distance.  For example, my scout scoped GSR has a Burris LER pistol scope on t that when sighted-in to 200 yds, allows retuicular hold=overs out to 500 yds.

The XS rail is just the ticket for mounting sights and also NV gear.

go to scoutrifle,org and read up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I read here or somewhere else that people were having problems getting what they ordered from Alpha Ind. Any mags I get will be Rugers.

While I'm waiting for the rifle to arrive I ordered an XS rail from Midway. I've decided against a scout scope. When I do put a scope on it, I'll probably use a Burris Fullfield TAC-30 1-4x. I have one on an AR-15 and it's the tits.

Whatever you do, make a very particular point of mounting the scope as low as possible.  FWIW, Leupold QRW scope mounts are my fave, as they don't self dis-assemble once detached, as do some others.

I'd suggest a scope that has reticular hold-overs for long distance.  For example, my scout scoped GSR has a Burris LER pistol scope on t that when sighted-in to 200 yds, allows retuicular hold=overs out to 500 yds.

Absolutely. What is your experience with Warne QD rings? They seem to get good reviews.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#18]
the new scout from savage is listed as a LE model

there is also a mossberg scout that takes sr25 mags

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:21:31 AM EDT
[#19]
If only the Mossberg offering didn't include a "medium bull" barrel. And if it were more like 18" of tube than 16"...
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#20]
A person should physically handle those other brand rifles before ordering.  The ones I looked at from both companies had magazines that felt too loose or floppy for me.  I have not seen the new LE model yet.  Made me more happy with my GSR.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Bud's was a bit on the slow side for shipping, and then UPS wasted a day in getting to my FFL, but I picked her up this morning and took it to the range where I put 40 rounds of M-80 ball through it. Here it is with an M-1907 sling, 5 round polymer mag, and XS rail.

I shot the first 10 rounds with the factory rear sight, then installed the XS rail. After getting it zeroed at 100 yards I managed to whack a piece of torso-sized steel at 200 yards a few times. It's definitely getting some glass.

I like the polymer mags better. Right now I have one each of the 5 and 10 round polymers and plan to order another 5 rounder. Looking forward to wringing this stick out.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Did you use a lock washer or jam nut to time your Smith Enterprises muzzle brake?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry, forgot to hit quote button.  My question was directed at this pic.  Sorry for any confusion.

Quoted:

Posted elsewhere, but you asked.  This will be altered in the next couple of weeks.  I have a McMillan Stock Game Scout stock on the way.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z130/losrobles/misc/Scout-1_zpsbdce052f.jpg~original
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z130/losrobles/misc/Scout-1_zpsbdce052f.jpg~original

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Did you use a lock washer or jam nut to time your Smith Enterprises muzzle brake?
View Quote

It comes supplied with a jam-nut.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry, I don't have a cool range mat.  Here is my Ruger GSR .308 w/Leupold Scout Scope, XS Sight Rail, AAC Flash Hider, Warne QR Maxima Rings, & Alpha Industries mags  

EDIT- don't tell my wife about her bed cover.  My next rifle will be the Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 blk when I can find one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I like it. What's wrapped around the wrist of the stock?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I found if a stock ever cracks it is right there.  I use ranger bands because they are also an excellent fire starter being rubber.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If only the Mossberg offering didn't include a "medium bull" barrel. And if it were more like 18" of tube than 16"...
View Quote

I'm intrigued, though, by the statement that it feeds from both M1A/M14 & SR25 magazines. I'd like to see how they implemented that.

That's worth props alone, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm intrigued, though, by the statement that it feeds from both M1A/M14 & SR25 magazines. I'd like to see how they implemented that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was DPMS/SR25 only.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just quoting what their website description stated about the MVP Patrol. Some of the other models only state AR style.

Perhaps they changed it from earlier models, or even cancelled the feature pre production and failed to update website?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sorry, I don't have a cool range mat.  Here is my Ruger GSR .308 w/Leupold Scout Scope, XS Sight Rail, AAC Flash Hider, Warne QR Maxima Rings, & Alpha Industries mags  

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f210/MontanaVet/Ruger%20GSR-Leupold%20Scout--Warne%20Mount-AAC%20Flashider.jpg

EDIT- don't tell my wife about her bed cover.  My next rifle will be the Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 blk when I can find one.
View Quote

Details on scope please?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, absolutely.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Just shot mine for the first time today, using ZQI M80 and handloaded 150gr Core-Lokt soft points.

The ZQI was predictably awful; about 4moa.  My mid-nineties vintage Core-Lokt handloads shot into slightly over 2moa.  This was using a 1x Aimpoint against an orange target, along with my mediocre eyes.

No hangups or other problems were noticed.  I'm happy.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have no specific experience with Warne rings.   I have read, from trusted, in-print authors, that Leupold QRW rings will not self dis-assemble once detached from the rifle/mount, while other rings will do so.  Personal experience with Leupold QRW rings confirms this.   Buy what you want.  If I'm wrong, then let me know right away, please..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely. What is your experience with Warne QD rings? They seem to get good reviews.

I have no specific experience with Warne rings.   I have read, from trusted, in-print authors, that Leupold QRW rings will not self dis-assemble once detached from the rifle/mount, while other rings will do so.  Personal experience with Leupold QRW rings confirms this.   Buy what you want.  If I'm wrong, then let me know right away, please..

OP, don't know if you ended up with rings but I'll chime in with my personal observations.  I currently have two QD ring setups, one with Leupold rings and the other Warne.  Both sets of rings are of high quality.  Both sets of rings can be detached then attached without issue or major shift in zero.  I like the Leupold rings better simply because of the mounting setup.  The Warne rings encircle the scope and attach together at the top.  I have found even with the screws loose the Warne rings are very tight, and it is a pain to move a scope back and forth to set eye relief during mounting.  

Since the Leupold rings completely separate with a top and bottom half, they are much easier to adjust a scope for eye relief.  Future purchases will probably be entirely Leupold rings, but once I managed to mount my scope in the Warned QD rings I am happy with them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top