Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 10:14:17 PM EDT
OK. I've got revolvers in .357 mag and .44 mag. And I have the wants for a Ruger 77 in one of those cartridges (I would really like one in .45 Long Colt but haven't heard of one of those).

What I don't know is which caliber is best in a rifle?

Any opinions out there from those who have these rifles?? And I know the basic hive response is get both but that is not in the cards. I need to pick one and be happy with it. It probably won't get suppressed.

Probably not hunting with it either, just want a fun, accurate pinker.

Thanks,

Norm
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If cost is no option I would go for the 44. The 357 will always be cheaper to shoot and load so it really just depends on your preference.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
if you aren't planning on hunting with it get the .357
It'll be cheaper and whatnot being able to shoot .38's and whatnot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go 44 just in case you get a chance to use it for hunting in the future, but that is just me.  Own both, like both, but as said before.....if definitely no hunting and JUST plinking, the 357 will be cheaper.  Both of mine do fine with special ammo also.

Doc
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don't reload get the 357.

You should be reloading and cast bullet loads for a 44 are only a bit more expensive than 357.

Because most guys are looking to hunt resale for the 44 should be higher.

If you don't reload this is the perfect time to get into it . Straight wall pistol cartridges are simple to reload and any old used single stage or turret press will do just fine
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#5]
For a fun range toy, go .357.  Cheaper and easier on the shoulder.  If you're going to do work with it, go .44.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Plinking and fun then get the 357.  If you plan to ever possibly hunt then get the 44.  You should start reloading for whatever caliber you pick.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The Arf answer is 'Get Both' as usual.

Personally, I'd go with whatever caliber you'd shoot more.  Price wise the .357 is more effective imo.

Both of them are crazy fun suppressed as SBRs

Can't wait to pick mine up this summer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Given your criteria, I would go with the .357.  Cheaper & lighter recoil, and holds 5 rounds vs 4 in the .44.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#9]
First, decide what you want to do with it.  If it's for fun and plinking, lean towards the 357mag.  If it's for hunting, lean towards the 44mag.  Remember, neither caliber is a long range shooter, however, the 357mag with 158grn bullets has a bit more range as a plinker than the 44mag.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey All,

Thanks for all the ideas. Getting back into reloading and am thinking .44 mag with cast bullets is the way I will go. I am going to try and find one blued with the walnut stock.

Have a local fun show next weekend so I am going to look there first.

Thanks for everything, I will post pictures when I come up with one.

Norm
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm gonna go ahead and jump on the get both mantra for this one. I have the 357 and plan on getting the 44 this summer. Don't want it to go the way of the 96 or Deerfield.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Mind a thread-jack?  I have a 77/44 stainless and I've been considering a piece of glass.  Any thoughts?  I was kicking around the idea of a low power scope, maybe something like a 2x7 or the like.  Inexpensive, but good enough to handle the recoil.  I LOVE the carbine, with the iron sights it's just crazy accurate and makes a great companion to my Super Blackhawk.  (I WISH I had the cash to get a .357, my GP100 would love the company.)
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
You are on to something with the low powered scope. I put a 1.75-5x Vortex Diamondback on my 77/357. Light weight, inexpensive but still quality enough to get the job done.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mind a thread-jack?  I have a 77/44 stainless and I've been considering a piece of glass.  Any thoughts?  I was kicking around the idea of a low power scope, maybe something like a 2x7 or the like.  Inexpensive, but good enough to handle the recoil.  I LOVE the carbine, with the iron sights it's just crazy accurate and makes a great companion to my Super Blackhawk.  (I WISH I had the cash to get a .357, my GP100 would love the company.)
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You are on to something with the low powered scope. I put a 1.75-5x Vortex Diamondback on my 77/357. Light weight, inexpensive but still quality enough to get the job done.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh that's a really good price, that could be an interesting choice, pretty much exactly what I was thinking about.  How did you mount it up, ring-wise?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#15]
The 1" rings that came with the rifle worked great. I believe they are marked "5" for medium height.

Quoted:

Oh that's a really good price, that could be an interesting choice, pretty much exactly what I was thinking about.  How did you mount it up, ring-wise?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The 1" rings that came with the rifle worked great. I believe they are marked "5" for medium height.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, this may have to happen sooner than later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top