Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2014 8:25:28 PM EDT
How are the new owners of this new ruger AR rifle liking it?? How are they holding up?? Any problems emerged?? Thanks , Bill
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm kind of surprised no one has chimed in yet either, but I'm wondering how many people have been able to actually find one on the shelves...
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I just made this account to tell you about this rifle, thanks for the push to register.

Anyway, I bought an AR556 back in early December 2014. The owner of my local gun store is a friend of mine and decided to save one for me since I have wanted one for a good while.

I bought the rifle and a bulk pack of Federal .223(that's all they had at walmart) and headed home with my new gun. Now, I don't really believe in breaking in a rifle too much. When I got home I cleaned the barrel really good and called it good. Went outside with some pop bottles at 25 yards(since it was -5 F outside and I didn't want to set up a  paper target) and shot 15 rounds. All fired perfectly, back up sights were off, but I just compensated until there was a warmer day. Cleaned up my rifle and went back out later that day to shoot the rest of the 100 round box I bought.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Now about the rifle itself. It is a fine weapon.

Pros:
-Made by Ruger, lifetime warranty
-1:8 barrel twist lets me shoot pretty much anything I want.
-Back up irons are pretty good(still havent gotten a paper target out, but I'm hitting stuff reliably)
-It is an AR, runs reliably and accurately without any hiccups
-Has run everything I have fed it
-Many many more pros, but this post would be much longer if I wrote them all down

Cons:
-The first 5.56 rounds I sent down the barrel had the brass cases almost gouged away from the bottom of the BCG. I believe it is a mixture of my faults and a tense magazine spring because I ran the BCG a little dry(first AR) and it created a bur in the bottom. It was only scratching 5.56(not .223) in PMAGs that didn't come with my gun. I stripped both 30 round mags down and noticed the mag that was scratching the 5.56 had a longer spring than the one that didn't. Like I said, mostly my fault, and I'm sure if I had run it wet the bur would not have occurred. I was planning to upgrade to a bravo company BCG later anyway.

-Not really a con, but the trigger could have a cleaner break

Ok, so that's about it. Overall, I love this rifle very much. When it gets warmer i will sight it in properly and see what it can really do accuracy wise. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them. I am not on AR15.com a whole lot, but I will try to answer your questions when I am on.

EDIT: As of today, January 7, 2015, I have sent over 200 rounds down the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine shoots nicely.  I have not have any failure to fire.  I probably only have about 150 rounds through it.  

I do not like the trigger so I am replacing it with a Wilson Combat trigger.

I also have a problem with the mag release.  I can push it in too far and it sticks.  I guess I need to contact Ruger about this problem.

Overall, I like it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine shoots nicely.  I have not have any failure to fire.  I probably only have about 150 rounds through it.  

I also have a problem with the mag release.  I can push it in too far and it sticks.  I guess I need to contact Ruger about this problem.

Overall, I like it.
View Quote

There is no reason to contact Ruger.  If any of us push any AR magazine release too far, it might stick because the bar falls out of or catches its slot.  If you mean it does it during normal operation,  push the button in until the bar clears the receiver and turn the bar clockwise one or two turns, however many it takes to keep it from popping out of the slot in the receiver.  I use a punch to push the button in further than my finger will push it in.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There is no reason to contact Ruger.  If any of us push any AR magazine release too far, it might stick because the bar falls out of or catches its slot.  If you mean it does it during normal operation,  push the button in until the bar clears the receiver and turn the bar clockwise one or two turns, however many it takes to keep it from popping out of the slot in the receiver.  I use a punch to push the button in further than my finger will push it in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall, I like it.

Thanks, I did do this after my previous post.  This happens during normal operation. This may happen because I am left handed and push the mag release with my right thumb.  

One full turn helped but did not completely solve the problem.  Two full turns made the threads protrude past the release button.  So, I back it off to one turn.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I took my SR556 out to the range yesterday.  It performed flawlessly.  The TTU made a big difference for me too.  I sighted in my Accupoint.  The rifle is quite accurate.  I like it!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks, I did do this after my previous post.  This happens during normal operation. This may happen because I am left handed and push the mag release with my right thumb.  

One full turn helped but did not completely solve the problem.  Two full turns made the threads protrude past the release button.  So, I back it off to one turn.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overall, I like it.

Yeah, just get it so the threads are flush against the button. And don't push so hard, it doesn't take much to release the mag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top