Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2014 12:22:23 AM EDT
Just hit the range today and thought I would provide this short review. Here are the specs for my setup

Ruger Model 6968
SWFA SS 1-4x24 Tactical 30 mm (NOT the HD version)
SWFA SS 30 mm aluminum rings
AAC 762-SDN-6 suppressor
Ammo: F.O.G. Firearms 220 gr. Sierra (1015 fps 16" bbl)

The rifle:  It balances like a dream, and the barrel profile is ideal for a rifle that you plan to carry outdoors and not merely rest on a bench. The bedding system on the stock is actually very good, and the barrel floats freely in the middle of the channel even when the gun is rested on the edge of the forend. The bolt is very easy to work from the shoulder, and although rough tooling marks in the channel cause a tiny bit of friction, cycling the bolt is very smooth and easy. The trigger is crisp, with a short take up; it feels like it is between 3.5 and 4 lbs---perfect, in my opinion, for a hunting rig. The rotary magazine is a little difficult to load, but perhaps I just need practice. On occasion, I cannot close the bolt home on a fully loaded magazine; it appears that the first round hits the feedramp at an odd angle that causes it to tip up and snag on the top of the chamber. Extraction is positive and consistent.

The scope:  This is, as best I can tell, a true 1x. The glass is clear, although there is distortion toward the edges. The illumination was barely visible on an overcast day against a white target; the illumination is not daytime-visible like an ACOG. At 4x, the eye relief gets a little picky, but it is perfectly acceptable. The reticle is extremely fast to acquire, and at 4x, the dot probably covers a little over an inch at 100 yards. The diamond is a tad too small and occludes many target bullseyes, but it will be perfect for hunting. The scope turrets have positive, audible clicks, and they seem to track well, although I did not extensively test them.

The suppressor:  My SDN-6 did not lock up tightly on this particular mount, and I experienced noticeable vertical stringing when shooting suppressed (groups were 2x to 3x larger than unsuppressed, and the spread was 100% vertical). As for sound, it was fantastic. It's hard to beat a suppressed 300 BLK bolt gun. I have a Gemtech GMT-300WM (titanium thread-on) in transfer, and also plan to try my SilencerCo Octane-9 with thread mount, to shrink those suppressed groups. This rifle is crying out for a light-weight thread-on can anyway.

The ammo:  I have consistently been impressed with F.O.G. (Finger of God) Firearms 300 BLK ammunition. As it does in my 9 inch AR, their 220 gr. Sierra subsonic shoots quite well in my Ruger---about 0.85 inches at 50 yards for five-shot groups. Keep in mind that I'm running a 4x scope with a reticle designed more for speed than precision. This is great performance, especially for a subsonic round. The F.O.G. ammo is way more accurate and consistent than the new Remington UMC 220 gr. (and about the same as the better lots of the old Remington 220 gr. Sierra, as pictured below), and it is the least expensive subsonic that I can find online. What I love most about F.O.G. is that they are a family-owned business, and they donate a portion of their profits to On Eagles' Wings Ministries. And their customer service is the best in the business. I am happy to support such a fine company that produces such a fine product.

Anyways, those are my observations. Here are some pics.

The rifle:

My poor attempt at a reticle picture (at 1x):

My drop chart:

The target:

Comparison of F.O.G. vs. the new Remington UMC out of my 9" AAC AR, suppressed with SDN-6 (tight lock-up on this mount):

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Im trying to get my hands on a 5.56 model. LGS is getting one in for me. Thanks for the review. Im trying to come up with a good enough glass to put on this rifle . Was thinking down the same line of 1 x 4 or maybe a fixed 3 / 4 . WarDawg
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty similar thoughts and results as my write up, looks great!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top