Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2014 6:31:44 PM EDT
I'm in the market to sell/trade my mini-14 for an AK or AR. I guy approached me (ArmsList) with a trader offer and I'm not very knowledgeable on AR values so I'm seeking some advice.

What I'm selling:

Ruger Mini-14 Tactical w/ Rails, ATI folding stock, Ruger scope rings and a few Ruger mags (2x20rd and 1x30rd), in great condition. Hasn't had more than 500 rounds through it and I'm 2nd owner.

He's offering:

Olympic Arms AR with DPMS .223 specific stainless bull barrel, polymer quadrail handguard, Hogue handgrip, ATI foregrip, Nebo Elite led light, BSA mil dot tactical weapons scope, and 3 magazines. One 30 round pmag, 20 round colt steel mag, and 10 round stoner steel mag

I understand OA has an imperfect reputation, and DPMS is not top of the food chain either. Knowing that I'm willing (but not dying) to trade/sell my Mini-14 would this be a fair trade? I realize there is plenty of room for bias, someone that thinks the mini is stupid and loves AR would say of course and guys that have affection for the mini might say no way. I'm a big boy, I can sift through bias and favoritism. I place a market value on my Mini-14 package around $700 max (if you disagree I'd love to hear about it), can those of you more informed about AR values throw some numbers at me? What is this guys AR setup worth?

Thanks to all for any advice you can offer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I'd keep the Mini 14 rather than trade for the Oly or DPMS. Sell the Mini and buy yourself a Colt 6920($8-900 these days), or build one from good quality parts (BCM/DD).

100% sure you'll be happier in the long run.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's the thing. You definitely need to trade the mini....but I think I'd hold out for a decent smith or psa.

You wouldn't be getting screwed getting the gun mentioned(it's actually a better gun than your mini) from the standpoint of upgrading, but your mini is worth more than that gun. If he threw in 100 bucks on top of it, it would be a fair trade.

ETA: Actually I didn't account for the value of the scope. Your gun is worth about 600, his gun is worth about 500 + scope. Your gun is a "good" mini14, his gun is a "bad" AR. I do believe mini-14s suck so there's that bias, but I still wouldn't want an oly arms AR. I'd wait for something else....
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]
You'd be better off converting your Mini to cash and then buying a PSA or Bushmaster Patrol rifle.  Or wait for Black Friday--God knows what will be available for $600 or $700 this year.

Hell, for $750 you can get a used Colt with a LaRue rail here.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a buyer's market right now.  New AR's are attractively priced.  Ruger's new direct impingement AR was selling for $619 at a local gun shop.  Armalite, Bushmaster, DPMS, Del-Ton and S&W all have product in the $550-$650 range.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I would stay away from the Oly stuff, including the beer.  You could also look into the latest AR-556 release from RUGER.  Seems to have some redeeming value and you could buy some ammo or optics should you sell for more than what you get for the AR-556.  Again it may depend on what it is exactly you are looking for.  If you should go with the AK look at the Serbian PAP's which are an excellent value.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with most, it's a buyer's market, and you would probably better yourself by going to an AR platform. I have owned a couple of
DPMS rifles and been very pleased with them. I have one that is an Oly lower with  DPMS upper. It is a very good rifle. I did see one thing that
would make me not want the trade, a .223 barrel. You need to make sure whatever you get is chambered for 5.56/.223. I would suggest stay away
from polymer or carbon fiber guns. Once you get one you can personalize it a little at a time...
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't do it.  I personally think Minis are overpriced for what they are, but nowadays you can do much better than a Frankengun with a bunch of Chinese shit bolted to it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Never owned an Oly but am totally satisfied with my DPMS. Been flawless from day 1.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing wrong with a DPMS built AR, but I would stay away from that deal.  Sell the mini, use the $ for factory built gun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been trying to trade an unfired  PSA build for a used Mini30 with no luck, so that should tell you what his Oly/DPMS is worth.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to each one of you for your advice. I think it was all good advice and the running theme seems to be to sell the Mini for cash and buy the gun I want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top