Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2014 10:21:51 PM EDT
Wanted people's opinions of its accuracy.  Basically I'm looking for a dedicated prairie dog / paper punching tool.  Bolt action, bull barrel type set up.  I'll either be looking at a Savage or a Ruger, and wanted an honest opinion about the Ruger.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:18:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Savage
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Savage
View Quote

Which model?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
How old is it?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 77VT in 204, very accurate right from the box, bit heavy to drag around but from the bench or in a dog town it should be great, friend of mine has one in 308 and its a winner as well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:00:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Have 22-250 and 22 hornet. Both crazy accurate. Love the factory 2 stage trigger.

5 shots from the hornet.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:24:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to mention the Ruger has nice looks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Ruger 77  Target rifle, in 223.   It comes with a very nice two stage trigger,  it is very easy to shoot!  Very accurate!
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Had one of the first Rugers with the matte grey finish some years ago. It was chambered in 22-250 and was a consistent 1/2 MOA rig (5 shot group averages). The Ruger is definitely the looker out of the rifles you mentioned.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:41:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a Ruger 77  Target rifle, in 223.   It comes with a very nice two stage trigger,  it is very easy to shoot!  Very accurate!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have this

Quoted:
......chambered in 220 Swift, one still has the factory barrel, and it is one of the most accurate rifles............
My buddy has this.
Both have leupold vxlll 6.5x20. Mine is accurate, and his is crazy frigin accurate. Makes mine look like the barrel is bent.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The Swifts are absolute murder.
Quoted:
I have a couple chambered in 220 Swift, one still has the factory barrel, and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own... Custom or factory.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had Rugers in the far past, 77's and #1's, they were OK on accuracy and really nice on operational features. I've had a 77/22 Hornet for many years, it's a classy rifle and I would not trade it for anything.

I juuuuust picked up a 77 MkII varmint in 22-250, because I always wanted one of the stainless/laminated rifles. I have not shot it yet. I spent a couple of hours last night pulling the trigger apart and getting it where I wanted it. That is a killer 2-stage trigger design if you know anything about triggers. Darn near foolproof as far as safety goes.

My serious rifles are all custom jobs, but having run local varmint rifle matches for many years and seen a LOT of rifles come through......I would never recommend a newer Savage to anyone. Those guys hold my line up more than anybody else with their problems. Ruger at least does a pretty good job on fit/finish/function for an off-the-shelf rifle, but Savage doesn't even try. Yes, they can shoot very well. No, they are not reliable.

PS - my other "off the shelf" rifle is a Tikka. Unfortunately it puts stock American-made rifles to shame.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've had Rugers in the far past, 77's and #1's, they were OK on accuracy and really nice on operational features. I've had a 77/22 Hornet for many years, it's a classy rifle and I would not trade it for anything.

I juuuuust picked up a 77 MkII varmint in 22-250, because I always wanted one of the stainless/laminated rifles. I have not shot it yet. I spent a couple of hours last night pulling the trigger apart and getting it where I wanted it. That is a killer 2-stage trigger design if you know anything about triggers. Darn near foolproof as far as safety goes.

My serious rifles are all custom jobs, but having run local varmint rifle matches for many years and seen a LOT of rifles come through......I would never recommend a newer Savage to anyone. Those guys hold my line up more than anybody else with their problems. Ruger at least does a pretty good job on fit/finish/function for an off-the-shelf rifle, but Savage doesn't even try. Yes, they can shoot very well. No, they are not reliable.

PS - my other "off the shelf" rifle is a Tikka. Unfortunately it puts stock American-made rifles to shame.
View Quote

I actually have a T3 in 243.  Very nice rifle.  I do have some concerns about the recoil lug design though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I just bought a new savage .223 and 22 mag.

I'd by lying if I told you I was happy with either one.

I shoot better groups with my 10/22 than with either of these bolt guns.

I haven't given up yet on either one but I'm thinking I should have stuck with Ruger

or tried the T/C Dimension.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:16:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Between me and my two brothers, we have six Ruger 77 VT's in .25-06,  22-250. .220 Swift, .223 Rem, .243 Win, and .308 Win.  I have the .22-250 and the best I've got with it was .327" at 100 yards and my brother reports similar with his .220 Swift.  My older brother has had the other four rifles for years and has only shot the .25-06.  

I love the look and feel of the Rugers... I'd love to get one in .243 Win.  Not sure I've ever heard anything bad about them...
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#17]
My cousin had a 77 VT. It was in 308 and very accurate.  I think the best accuracy he had with it was 5/8-3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with reloads.  All he had at the time was a cheap Simmons scope on it.  He kept it for a while and was happy with it then traded it off for something else he was wanting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top