Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2014 5:42:25 PM EDT
Hi all,
I just picked one of these up yesterday and I've run into a problem. The thing does not like to eject rounds. About 1 in 4 initially got stuck...after some length diagnostics I determined that the ejector was getting hung up (stuck) and was only popping up after the spent shell had ridden all the way to the rear. The rifle itself seems to be perfect (it never does this when there is no magazine in place.

I examined the magazine that came with it and the feed lips seemed really wide apart. The 10th round did not like to go in and when it did, it was really high over the feed lips, almost ready to pop out. Believing that the feed lips are what caused this (the round would ride too high and hang up on the ejector, I bent the feed lips inward and this reduced the problem from 1 in 4 to 1 in 15 or 30.

My question are...

1. How wide apart are the feed lips supposed to be on the steel magazines?
2. Does this sound like purely a magazine issue or a problem with the rifle that makes it less tolerant of magazines? But what could that problem be? Everything aligns and works...ejector has no burs, extractor has no burs, does it's job, and so on.
3. Is it possible for a magazine to be so badly out of spec??

Before you say, "Call Ruger," I already did. They are sending me another magazine to see if that fixes it before sending the rifle back. My purpose in posting this was to get some ideas and/or experience from the community. I like to know why things don't work, it's not enough for me to just have them fixed. If I understand why, maybe next time (or even this time) I can fix it myself, which I prefer to not having the rifle I just bought for weeks.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Apparently my magazine was to blame, as I deduced the feed lips were too far apart. I'll keep you posted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top