Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2014 2:14:54 PM EDT
I have a Ruger American rifle in 30-06 for two years now.  It been a good rifle for the last two deer seasons.  1-1/2" to 2" groups (100yds) from my reloaded ammo (which I may be able to do better but I'm happy with that). Now in saying that that was the last two deer season.  

Now this season (in the last two weeks) I've shot about 40 RDS through it and can't do better than a 5" group at 100yds.  I've check everything rings, screws and scope.  I even tried two different scopes and two different sets of rings.  I'm using the same ammo as the last two seasons and have tried factory ammo.  Same results.  I've cleaned the crap out of it too.  

Has anyone ever pulled out a rifle and it all the sudden wouldn't group?  Can a hot barrel loose that much accuracy at 100yds?  After one shot the barrel is really warm.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe check the action screws.  Are they all tight?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
shoot it then look and see if stock is touching barrel.
Mine did. massive acuarcy loss
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Wooden stock? Check for splits or other damage to the bedding.

If it still won't group call Ruger. You have a warranty and there's no shame in using it.

AJ
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to shoot it again this week some time  and try a few things listed here.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I think these rifles use the same set up as savage rifles, a barrel nut. Is it possible the barrel nut is loose on yours?

I would probably call ruger if it were me, they have excellent CS.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#6]
You said you cleaned it, but maybe it is copper fouled?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it was multiple things that in was doing wrong and it did stop liking the rounds ive been using (Hornady btsp interlocks).  I swiched to Hornady flat base sp interlocks.  I was shooting to much on a hot day so the barrel was getting really hot and was shooting from a sand bag rest so the forend was pushing onto the barrel.

It shoots a lot better now (1.5" groups at 100 now).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top