Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2014 10:19:53 PM EDT
I ordered an unfinished walnut stock from "Stocky Stock" and a walnut hand guard from "Gunville." I had used Fairtrimmer's Military xo oil on them and wow, they came out better then I had hoped. I was trying to get that WWII G.I. look and the birch wood stock from the factory just wasn't cutting it.

Of course the stock didn't come with the rear sling mount, so with a little drill and file work, I fitted a M14 sling mount:

But the stock and hand guard match up perfectly:

Now, I just have to come up with a butt-plate. I could use the rubber butt-pad that came with the stock, but a metal butt-plate like this would look better:

I can make the butt-plate using 1/4 steel, drill the necessary holes and file down the sides, but I won't be able the knurl it. I'll have to talk to some machine shops...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking forward to seeing the finished firearm.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking forward to seeing the finished firearm.
View Quote

So am I...lol, I going to start on the butt-plate tomorrow. I have to pick up 1/4in plate, the local hardware stores didn't have the size I need.
I did find a place the will sell a plate 1/4x2x18 but they what $40. bucks for it!!! Bastards! but, I will have to shell out the cash.
Once I have it all formed, at this point in time, I'm planning on having the "groves" on the back engraved by someone. I can only hope they don't charge an arm and a leg.
I have the rifle at the smith who is attaching the bayonet lug on the gas block, then I'll have it refinished.........done.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if the old M16-style trapdoor assembly wouldn't fit on there.

Or even a Garand one.

Having a cleaning kit on your rifle is always a good thing, and it'd look good too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#4]
In!!!! Moar!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I started on the butt-plate:

I need to do more file work, but its almost there...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Or even a Garand one.

Having a cleaning kit on your rifle is always a good thing, and it'd look good too.
View Quote

No, both the M16 and M1 are wayyy to big, that would have been too easy...lol
Yeah, I wish I could have had a trapdoor, but it would be way to difficult to make.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, I wish I could have had a trapdoor, but it would be way to difficult to make.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or even a Garand one.

Ah, yeah.

It's been years since I had a Mini, and mine had the older, curved-plate walnut stock.

It's a shame somebody doesn't make a trapdoor-plate wooden stock for the Mini, that would be right up my alley.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I got all the file work done and I hit with some sand paper/emery cloth to get ride of all the file marks. Should be ready for the engraving work, then have it parkerized.

The top wood screw is from an M1, I'll have to replace it, it got a little beat up...

Slowly coming together...
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Outstanding work!

Doing what Ruger won't.  Now you should try and do a folder based on that stock.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Outstanding work. In keeping with the hand made theme of this project, youcould try one of the files like are used to checker the front strap on 1911's.

They come in different lpi. It wouldn't surprize me if a machine shop wanted 2-300 bucks to checker the plate after setup fees and all. Just grab the file, watch some videos, practice and checker it. I am sure they have an instructional video or 2 on youtube.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Outstanding work. In keeping with the hand made theme of this project, youcould try one of the files like are used to checker the front strap on 1911's.

They come in different lpi. It wouldn't surprize me if a machine shop wanted 2-300 bucks to checker the plate after setup fees and all. Just grab the file, watch some videos, practice and checker it. I am sure they have an instructional video or 2 on youtube.

View Quote

Thanks, but I talked to a guy named Todd at "Customized Creationz," nice guy.  I had sent him a few pics of what I'm hopping for, he told me that he could do it, no problem. His shop rate is very reasonable, in fact its much lower that you (and I) would think.
Here's his info:
http://www.customizedcreationz.com/
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks, but I talked to a guy named Todd at "Customized Creationz," nice guy.  I had sent him a few pics of what I'm hopping for, he told me that he could do it, no problem. His shop rate is very reasonable, in fact its much lower that you (and I) would think.
Here's his info:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's his info:

Excellent....

I just know that a lot of machine shops will hit people pretty hard for one off work. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Excellent....

I just know that a lot of machine shops will hit people pretty hard for one off work. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's his info:

Excellent....

So am I..lol, I can't wait to see it, but yeah I expected it to cost much more.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#14]
TA-DA!!!!

I can't begin to say how incredible this came out!
Todd at Customized Creationz did an outstanding job on this!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks nice.  It definitely looks like an OEM factory production.  How much did it cost for the knurling?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top