Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2014 4:59:50 PM EDT
Hello everyone:

I am considering a Mini-14 Tactical SKU-5847 purchase.  I see a lot of people are using the barrel stabilzers (accu-strut or Mo-rod), and would like some feedback on them from shooters.   The rifle I'm considering appears to have the tapered barrel.  

For those who have the stabilizers,  Are you satisfied with their performance?

Thanks for your feedback
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
How much accuracy are you looking for?

My 582 series Mini-14 is getting under 4" groups at 200 yards using and it's stock.

If you're looking for much under 2MOA it's probably going to be much cheaper and easier to do a AR build.

AJ

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, for the reply.  I think you are telling me exactly what I need to know.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#3]
5847 is the Mini 14 Tactical, innit?

If so, you're probably not going to see the really noticeable increases in consistency that you'd see with the 18.5" barrels and a strut.

It won't hurt, for sure, but I wouldn't expect any huge gains, either.

The short struts do make them look cool, though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Mini 14s have a rep for having cheap factory barrels. My old Mini was bad enough I had it rebarreled with a heavy barrel. Much better. The 580 series I have played with are accurate enough but were sensitive to barrel heating. I sent them out for cryo treatment which seemed to significantly reduce the temp sensitivity. I have a strut for mine but I am not rushing to put it back on after cryo treatment.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Pass on the accu strut.  Send your trigger group to Gundoc at Great West Gunsmith.  Or maybe have him bed the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I also vouche for John at Great West Gunsmithing.  He does excellent work!  I had a standard Mini Ranch Rifle and had him install a smaller gas port bushing, install the smaller Accu-Strut SOCOM, and cut and thread the barrel then install the Spike's Dynacomp.  I wasn't sure if I wanted the barrel cut but he said 17" was about the best length for the harmonics.  I had all this done for about $175 and it can shoot 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards using Federal 50gr Varmint grey tip ammo.  I will post pics later tonight.
" />
" />
" />
Edited to add pics.
I don't know why they're not showing up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#7]
A Friend of mine has replaced the stock on his Mini, gotten a trigger job, Accu strut and his best groups have come from the 50 grain Federal AE ammo.  His Mini is the newer blued model with heavy barrel.  His rifle was plagued by fliers so  Ruger had him send it back and I think they replaced the bolt. It's better but for the money he's spent he still doesn't get a lot of consistency.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pass on the accu strut.  Send your trigger group to Gundoc at Great West Gunsmith. Or maybe have him bed the receiver.
View Quote

Possably the best thing you can do to a mini in a synthetic stock.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Accuracy Systems has an interesting three pin pillar bedding system.  I was gonna do it but then this Hi Power came along......
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I also vouche for John at Great West Gunsmithing.  He does excellent work!  I had a standard Mini Ranch Rifle and had him install a smaller gas port bushing, install the smaller Accu-Strut SOCOM, and cut and thread the barrel then install the Spike's Dynacomp.  I wasn't sure if I wanted the barrel cut but he said 17" was about the best length for the harmonics.  I had all this done for about $175 and it can shoot 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards using Federal 50gr Varmint grey tip ammo.  I will post pics later tonight.
Edited to add pics.
View Quote

Got any pics of your targets? 1" is a bold claim for any Mini 14 rifle with the factory barrel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Got any pics of your targets? 1" is a bold claim for any Mini 14 rifle with the factory barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Edited to add pics.

As a matter of fact I do.  Left two are with XM193, right two are with Brown Bear, and middle group is with American Eagle Varmint.
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#12]
NICE!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Edited to add pics.

As a matter of fact I do.  Left two are with XM193, right two are with Brown Bear, and middle group is with American Eagle Varmint.
http://<a href=http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/wildcatz_42/Mobile%20Uploads/20140125_162349_zpspkurbggp.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/wildcatz_42/Mobile%20Uploads/20140125_162730_zpsgfdbha2o.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/wildcatz_42/Mobile%20Uploads/20140125_162721_zpsgjpl0bxu.jpg</a>" />

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]
With the shorter 16" flannged barrel. You may see some improvement in accuracy, using a barrel strut. It's a mixed bag of results for peeps. On an 18.5" flannged barrel, I believe the strut will come more into play. I use a SOCOM Accu-Strut on my 185 Series Mini and it helped lots.

For the older pencil barreled Mini's, there were several things that could be done, to tighten up the shot's. Some of those things can also be done to a 580 + Series (flannged barrel). Re-toqure the gas block, using a feeler gauge and torture wrench. Trigger Job, bed the stock. Flash Hider or muzzle break (having some weight on the end of the barrel, lessens the whip). Matching ammo, to the twist of the rifle. Barrel Strut, Cryo treatment.

Quoted:
Hello everyone:

I am considering a Mini-14 Tactical SKU-5847 purchase.  I see a lot of people are using the barrel stabilzers (accu-strut or Mo-rod), and would like some feedback on them from shooters.   The rifle I'm considering appears to have the tapered barrel.  

For those who have the stabilizers,  Are you satisfied with their performance?

Thanks for your feedback
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I think that I need to buy some American Eagle Varmint, what grain bullet were they?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I installed Accu-Strut SOCOM barrel struts on my 185 Series Min-14 and 189 series Mini Thirty. Groups tightened up on both rifles. On the shorter flanged 16" Tactical barrel, you may see some improvement. I think it would be minimal though. The barrel flex has been reduced greatly with the heavier, shorter barrel.

I'd suggest setting a base line accuracy with the rifle first. Once that is established. There is a few things that can be done first. Re-torque the four screw on the gas block evenly. Not sure of the inch pound right off hand though. The other thing is to install a colt 1911 Buffer to lessen the impact against the receiver by the slide/charging handle. A trigger job will also help, with a nice crisp 5-6lb trigger pull. Bedding the action to a stock is another way to squeeze more accuracy out of the rifle. If you have the cash, the SCAR Mini stock will eliminate the need for bedding all together.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:26:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think that I need to buy some American Eagle Varmint, what grain bullet were they?
View Quote

50gr. They have the grey tip.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in the market for a Mini 14 Tactical, and I'm really liking that SCAR stock.  Can you explain further on not needing to bes if installing in that SCAR chassis?  I was also throwing around the idea od getting a Bell and Carson stock and having Accuracy Systems bes it with that three pillar system.  Anyway, let me know, I've already kind of convinced my wife about replacing the one I sold to pay for her masters years ago...  

Quoted:
I installed Accu-Strut SOCOM barrel struts on my 185 Series Min-14 and 189 series Mini Thirty. Groups tightened up on both rifles. On the shorter flanged 16" Tactical barrel, you may see some improvement. I think it would be minimal though. The barrel flex has been reduced greatly with the heavier, shorter barrel.

I'd suggest setting a base line accuracy with the rifle first. Once that is established. There is a few things that can be done first. Re-torque the four screw on the gas block evenly. Not sure of the inch pound right off hand though. The other thing is to install a colt 1911 Buffer to lessen the impact against the receiver by the slide/charging handle. A trigger job will also help, with a nice crisp 5-6lb trigger pull. Bedding the action to a stock is another way to squeeze more accuracy out of the rifle. If you have the cash, the SCAR Mini stock will eliminate the need for bedding all together.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm in the market for a Mini 14 Tactical, and I'm really liking that SCAR stock.  Can you explain further on not needing to bes if installing in that SCAR chassis?  I was also throwing around the idea od getting a Bell and Carson stock and having Accuracy Systems bes it with that three pillar system.  Anyway, let me know, I've already kind of convinced my wife about replacing the one I sold to pay for her masters years ago...  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bedding is pretty easy.  Gun Doc made some great videos for the mini.  I did mine and it was the biggest accuracy improvement to my mini 30.  
I like being able to quickly break down the rifle. I dont think id enjoy the pillar method.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#19]
With the SCAR stock the tolerance's are tight when mating with the receiver. And because of the tight tolerance, there is zero slop.Which will render tighter shooting groups as long as the shooter does their part.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#20]
The first and easiest and likely cheapest way is find the ammo it likes. I cut my groups in half with hand loads.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I have had many Minis in the last 30 years or so and the new 580s are great to go out of the box.  I am sad to say I traded my last Mini in on a new AR but got what I paid for it and I am happy.  The Mini you are looking at with Doc's trigger job should get you under 2 inches at 100 yards.  A whole lot depends on the shooter more than the rifle when we get to shooting those type of groups.  The main difference between the Mini and an AR is the AR you can do so much upgrading or changing in your own house.  No need to go to a gun smith for over 90% of what you may think you need to do to make yourself happy.  I have not built an upper as of now, but you can in your home.  

I can see myself building another upper but also getting another Mini because!!!  Only in the USA at the present can we have our cake and eat it to.

Lead Foot
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Accuracy Systems has an interesting three pin pillar bedding system.  I was gonna do it but then this Hi Power came along......
View Quote

I had this done to my 186 series along with the adjustable gas block. The stock is the Butler Creek folder. I also cut the barrel to about 15.5" and had a friend tig weld a modified Choate flash hider to it after recrowning. I removed the front sight blade and drilled the flash hider to accept a fiber optic AR sight post from Mounting Solutions. I modified the rear sight blade to accept a Williams peep sight aperture.It makes a perfect truck gun. I have considered the Accustrut  Socom 4" but I am not sure it will make a difference. My gun will put 30 rounds on target at 4moa at 100 yards with open sights If I do my part. I may try a scout scope setup at some point to see if any improvement can be had. If I were starting with a stock gun I would get the rail setup from Amega or Ultimak. The Amega rail is what led me to the other work I have done. The rail stiffens the barrel significantly and acts as a heat sink. I have a friend that made fun of the Mini until he shot it. They are not precision rifles and were never meant to be but they can shoot quite well.
Mine prefers the 50gr Federal hollowpoints that Walmart used to sell.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:04:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Here are some groups I posted before.  100 yards with this gun.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How much accuracy are you looking for?

My 582 series Mini-14 is getting under 4" groups at 200 yards using and it's stock.

If you're looking for much under 2MOA it's probably going to be much cheaper and easier to do a AR build.

AJ

View Quote

I accurized my Mini 14 by selling it and buying an AR. Mine was such that I could only get minute-of-pie-plate accuracy at 50 yards.

You'll hear a LOT of that on this board. I'm not saying that they are all bad, but enough of them are bad that they have a bad rep. Sort of like pit bulls.

You shouldn't have to spend $300 to accurize a $600 rifle.

Now, with good magazines, they ARE nigh indestructable (at least in my limited experience).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top