Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2014 11:44:06 AM EDT
http://www.shootingtimes.com/first-look/first-look-ruger-gunsite-scout-rifle-223-rem-5-56-nato/

Shame even in 5.56/.223 it won't take AR mags. Nice rifle, though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/first-look/first-look-ruger-gunsite-scout-rifle-223-rem-5-56-nato/

View Quote

Made link hot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Was sure hoping their "Big Announcement" was a 5 shot 44 on the GP frame

A bit underwhelmed.  Maybe it will grow on me, but with an AR, my first response was "why?"

Doc
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Misses the mark.  I'll take a Savage MVP over it any day.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Misses the mark.  I'll take a Savage MVP over it any day.
View Quote

Yep, that was my other thought.....why hamstring yourself with those mags..  Don't see this doing real well against the MVP.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why would they even do this?   It takes a mag but a proprietary one?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
They couldn't even make it take Mini-14 mags? Complete failure. For what I'm sure will be an outrageous price, I see absolutely no need for this. Glad I sold all my Rugers. I was hoping for something great to get me back on the bandwagon.

But hey, I'm sure they'll offer you full capacity mags for $35 a piece in about 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems like it would weigh a ton for what it is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
7.10 lbs.

Buy one as a collector's item, as I can't see these selling.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

want SOOOOOOO bad, but really guys random proprietary $70 mags?  

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
7.10 lbs.

Buy one as a collector's item, as I can't see these selling.
View Quote

I was hoping for a lgt wgt GSR.  0.1 lbs heavier than .308
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, at least it's purdy lookin'.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#12]
NEVER thought I'd say this but, I'd take a Mossberg MVP that takes ar mags over this Ruger any day
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I get why they didn't use AR mags, but Big fail that it doesn't take Mini-14 mags. I really had my fingers crossed for 5.56 and maybe even 7.62x39 versions using the readily available and inexpensive Mini mags.  

My personal experience with 3 different MVPs (2 patrols, 1 predator) must be a lot different than you guys... Several types of mags wouldn't lock in, bolt was very wobbly and kept hanging up trying to load a round unless you held it just right... Not impressed at all.

The weight isn't a problem for me here. The stock on the GSR is what makes it heavier than the patrol. Apples to apples ( laminated stock vs laminated stock) the weight is similar.

I'm  left handed, so Savage has gotten most of my bolt action business over the years. I do at least appreciate Ruger offering lefty versions of both.

But bottom line... Way less excited about this announcement given the magazine choice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I keep looking at the follower on my mini 14 mags and I'm not sure that they would work so well on a bolt action with the way they actuate the last round hold open on the mini. I'm thinking Ruger might have had a reason not to use unmodified mini magazines with this new Scout. Now could they have used the same body with a different follower and created a cheaper alternate magazine? Possibly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Mossberg has patented the technology that makes feeding bolt actions from double stack magazines possible.

The only way we would see the GSR do the same is if the two companies worked out a licensing agreement.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I love mine in .308; I'll pass on 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#17]
It should have been a 6.5 creedmore or 260 rem.  or do they already make that?

Ruger just seems to miss the mark as much as they hit it.

Why not a 22-250 with a fast twist (1 in 7 twist) barrel in the American bolt action in stainless steel?

Why not a super redhawk in 45 LC but with the faster twist barrel than the 454 has?

Why not a 480 ruger 5 shot single action?  Beef the frame if you have to.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Now, if they made a x39..... Hmmmm
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Absolutely that.

As it is I'm torn between a GSR in .308, and a Mini-30 Tac.

It would be an even harder choice between a GSR in x39 and a Mini-30 Tac. I might even have to get both.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll just pick up another AR.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Saves some weight and even loads itself after each shot.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And uses compatible mags.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I would have bought one if it took AR mags or at least Mini mags.  Forget it. You have to wonder what the hell Ruger was thinking.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I really do like this rifle, but as mentioned above, it needed to take a standard mag.   No go for me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#25]
AICS mags?  I dont see a ruger specific mag on the accurate-mag website.  That is perfectly ok if it is, and is really better than anything else.  They are the best bolt action mags available. The polymer 10 rnd 223 aics mags are about $40.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#26]
The fact it doesn't take AR mags is pretty stupid.

The fact that it doesn't take even a Ruger mini 14 mag that Ruger makes is bordering on insane.

Each of the above mags are presently in production and available in sizes to be compliant even in stupid states

Management at Ruger comes up with some very interesting guns but almost always they manage to incorporate at least two messed up items on every new gun . Usually it is just a crappy trigger
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The fact that it doesn't take even a Ruger mini 14 mag that Ruger makes is bordering on insane.

Each of the above mags are presently in production and available in sizes to be compliant even in stupid states

Management at Ruger comes up with some very interesting guns but almost always they manage to incorporate at least two messed up items on every new gun . Usually it is just a crappy trigger
View Quote

You do realize it is using the industry standard magazine for bolt guns correct?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#28]

7.62X39 would be great!!!   If they made one in the Russian 7.62X39 that shoots the steel case Russian stuff I would buy one today.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You do realize it is using the industry standard magazine for bolt guns correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont think anybody here ventures to the precision rifles section or the hide.  223 AICS mags rock
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

7.62X39 would be great!!!   If they made one in the Russian 7.62X39 that shoots the steel case Russian stuff I would buy one today.
View Quote

Savage made one.  Not sure if they still do.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#31]
MVP!  I love ruger but not taking the easiest and most plentiful magazine on earth - ar15/M16 mag- is a idiotic move.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
MVP!  I love ruger but not taking the easiest and most plentiful magazine on earth - ar15/M16 mag- is a idiotic move.
View Quote

There is a reason that nobody wants to produce a bolt gun that feeds from ar mags.......the same reason that the mvp is a piece of junk.  Ruger picked the bolt action magazine of choice, aics.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
There is a reason that nobody wants to produce a bolt gun that feeds from ar mags.......the same reason that the mvp is a piece of junk.  Ruger picked the bolt action magazine of choice, aics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain this to me.  AR's feed fine from AR mags, I don't see why a bolt gun couldn't be made that could feed just fine from them as well.

I think a straight pull rotating bolt .300 that fed from AR mags would be a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Please explain this to me.  AR's feed fine from AR mags, I don't see why a bolt gun couldn't be made that could feed just fine from them as well.

I think a straight pull rotating bolt .300 that fed from AR mags would be a lot of fun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know why firearms makers havent embraced the AR magazine for 223 bolt actions.  Seems like a no brainier to me too.  Most bolt guns with detachable mags use a proprietary mag.  The AICS mags are about the only ones common with multiple manufactures DBM or chassis systems....and they are usually higher end firearms.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am curious to know what testing and research you have done that lead to these conclusions ?

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I am curious to know what testing and research you have done that lead to these conclusions ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea why other builders havent used AR mags in a bolt gun.  Must be a design constraint.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#37]
I like these guns, I have messed around with the .308 version and think they are well made
although there isn't a "need" for this I would buy one if had the chance. They are fun to shoot and something different. Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
AICS mags?  I dont see a ruger specific mag on the accurate-mag website.  That is perfectly ok if it is, and is really better than anything else.  They are the best bolt action mags available. The polymer 10 rnd 223 aics mags are about $40.
View Quote

And take like 2.4" COAL.

Makes those 80gr Bergers sing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No idea why other builders havent used AR mags in a bolt gun.  Must be a design constraint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DBMG makes a bottom metal that adapts AR mags to 700s, but you have to mill most of the bottom of the receiver away.

Double stack/double feed mags are still a PITA anyway.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Looks pretty nice, but would still rather have an AR platform.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

All of the pissing and moaning about it not taking AR mags shows how little many folks understand about bolt guns.

Kind of sad, but it is AR15.com.    I guess over on the chevy forums people are bitching that the new Mustang didn't come with a 350/TH350.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
All of the pissing and moaning about it not taking AR mags shows how little many folks understand about bolt guns.

Kind of sad, but it is AR15.com.    I guess over on the chevy forums people are bitching that the new Mustang didn't come with a 350/TH350.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you enlighten us?

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

DBMG makes a bottom metal that adapts AR mags to 700s, but you have to mill most of the bottom of the receiver away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive only seen those on the net.....never one jn person or for sale.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a joke, right ?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Detachable magazines Is the direction bolt actions went a longtime ago. Affordable open source magazines is just the logical progression of that..
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's a joke, right ?
View Quote

No, not at all.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#47]
I like the Idea of this gun.  In some states you can't hunt with semi auto rifles, and having a lightweight .223 bolt gun with a detachable mag for yotes and smaller stuff would be nice, especially if you have to walk far with it, unlike Texas (ya, I'm from TX so not trash talking it) where you can stick your AR out your living room window and take a deer with it.  I've messed with the .308 version and plan on getting one like that myself.  The .223 version just isn't needed in my armory until I move somewhere colder.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I have ben critical of Ruger not putting a Mini 14 magazine or AR magazine on this rifle.  But I understand you can put a much heavier and longer bullet in the magazine and it has a 1/8 twist.  I may have to rethink my criticism.  But, to take advantage of the 1/8 twist and a longer magazine to load longer bullets, the rifle is in BAD NEED of a longer barrel.  This combo needs a 20 inch barrel to get the maximum benefit out of any potential heavier and longer bullet.  I hope there is more to come on this rifle.  kwg
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Did you own an MVP or have you shot an MVP, let's say.....more then once? And if you could please clarify in further detail why it's a piece of junk? Because of the Mossberg name? The  bolt wobble? Location of the magazine release? What?

I have a MVP Patrol 5.56 and it's a fine shooting rifle. That reliably feeds from an AR-15 magazine, with a decent factory trigger. And it looks pretty cool all tricked out in an aluminum chassis. :)

If I didn't own the MVP, I'd be all over the GSR in 5.56mm. Even with it taking AICS magazines. Would have been cool, if they would have gone with Mini-14 magazines.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top